LED can lights vs. fixtures/can over vanity/sink area? Opinion?
hudsonpaulaw
September 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
New construction: I have a 9' counter space with sink and vanity area on opposite ends. I was thinking lights over mirror with one can in walkway centered. All cans are LED.
Option: 3 cans (2 over vanity and one behind) or fixtures + can. CEILINGS are 10 feet. OPINIONS???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Use wall sconces at each side of the mirrors to illuminate the face for shaving and makeup (split the difference on the users heights). Can lights in passageway...but not above the vanity as it is sort of like that flashlight you held to your chin in summer camp to look spooky...but in reverse
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 11:14PM
Fred S
Unless it is a very wide walkway, you should not need a light in the ceiling. First, light up the vanity and mirrors properly with wall sconces and/or lights directly above the mirror. If you want a night light to turn on separately, then one recessed in the ceiling would be fine.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:49AM
ncreature
Like everyone else has said, I would not do recessed lights over a vanity. The lighting is too harsh. Diffused sconces or diffused vanity fixtures (not open globes) will work best and throw plenty of task lighting for the area.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 11:00AM
PRO
LBC Lighting
Wall sconces will eliminate the shadows that you will get from using only overhead lighting.
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Asbestos tiling
We covered our tiles directly with laminate flooring,...
Help with furniture placement of living room with two pianos
Hello! I just recently inherited a beautiful baby grand...
Ideas for updating this 70's house?
Kitchen is newly re-done, cherry cabinets, granite...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
Help to spur up living room
Want to add some spur to dull living area we don't...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™