My son ask me why our house is so old!!!
Teresa HSeptember 29, 2013
Hello everybody! My house is outside of the city, in a tropical country, Dominican Rep.
I Would like to re decorate It, more clear and a little more modern. My son ask me for that.
I think to paint everything in white, even the wood doors and ceiling. The floor is red, so maybe with beige carpet.
What do you recommend me?
Thank you!!!!
Teresa Lebron
smoore
Personally I love what you currently have! I don't think it looks "old" but instead looks very Tommy Bahama (which I love!). If you did want to change anything, I'd keep the furnishings you currently have, paint the walls a lighter shade of the same color, swap out the rug for an oriental or a natural jute and go for a more British Colonial look.
9 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:06PM
bwenk
yes i would have to say that i really like your house. have you thought about just moving some plants out and moving some of the accessories to different parts of the house. sometimes just something simple like that can have an impact. Also plain rug like Jute would be nice and then you can add a punch of color by adding pillows. good luck
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:09PM
abbyjean
I love how the flooring and the paint color from the outdoors carries right in to your room. Leave those as is.
I am the first to love plants in a room, but you need to choose your favorite ones and then share them in other spaces and maybe move more outside.
Decide how many places to sit you NEED and only have that in this room. We would love to help arrange once we know what HAS to stay......and maybe you need it all, so just let us know and we will fire away.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:11PM
rosecottagehome
I also love the style of your tropical home's interior. I agree with the suggestions above and would take everything out down to the furnishings and lamps and put some loved pieces back in a few at a time. The color in your dining room painting, rusty/ orange could be repeated in some new love seat and bench cushions. Lovely home!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:16PM
Carolina Lizarraga
Even when I like the contemporary look..... Your house is beautiful... Since you are from DR it's just perfect for the place.... But I agreed with bwenck just moving and adding little color it will look different and nice....
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:23PM
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Just Love, Love, your home, especially the floors. A soft color to paint the walls, to compliment the accent colors in floors/Art on wall. Re arrange your collections and a jute or sisal rug on the floor.
Good luck
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:34PM
happyasaclam
Don't paint the wood! You don't need carpet! Try as others have suggested: move things around, add color with pillows or other accent pieces. Personally I love plants. They are living, breathing creations sent from God to give us joy! And DON'T PAINT THE WOOD!!!!
Except for the rugs and an overabundance of plants, it looks great to me! Perhaps is is just a bit stale since you've lived with it for a while. It is probably time to play "fruit basket turn over" and just move everything to different spots for a new look with your same charming accessories and furniture. Start by taking all the plants outside for a nice shower bath and a couple of days in the outdoors while you "flip" your living room. With the plants gone, I think you'll see that they were the main items against many of the walls. You have furniture and space for two seating groups. Pull the sofas to the center of the room, placing them back to back. Select two chairs to work with each sofa and place them and your side tables in conversational arrangements. Limit the framed photos to groups of three on the side tables. Each seating group could use a large jute or sisal rug or you might prefer a really huge single rug. Try the scrolled iron table with photos on one of the side walls and load it with an orchid and two of your Moroccan metal lantern pieces. Put a green plant on the floor below it. Without pix of the side walls where the sconces are, I'm a bit stalled out, but if you'd post a few more shots by commenting and using the Attach Images button, I'll be happy to help some more.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
janeinfo
I think your son is nuts! HA I love your room as is!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:59PM
m3459
This is going to be great. I can't wait!! You've got some really good people weighing in here. I am just going to sit back and watch. What a great room, by the way. It just needs refreshing.
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:56PM
penelopesdreamydesigns
Hi Teresa,

I am curious how old is your son?
Likely when he grows up he will say "sorry mom, I didn't know what I was talking about
; ) smiles.

Change it if you want to change it, you have a good eye for design, it's very pretty just the way you have it in my opinion. Whatever you do, whether it be painting the walls, a new rug, a couple of new accessories it will be a little different and pretty as it is already. Classic styles like yours are timeless and always look good.

Maybe your son can redo his room if he would like the decor to look "young" not "old".
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:37PM
This space is beautiful. I agree with NOT painting the wood. I don't think you need any design help here; you've done a beautiful job already. So just rearrange the furniture for a little different look and feel, maybe bring in a wild new toss pillow, and sit back and relax with a tropical drink. Man, I wish I could join you!
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:52PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Do not paint anything!!! but walls. Your home is gorgeous! Educate your son. Some old things are irreplaceable! and should be valued.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:54PM
pegonia1
I like this room as well. Wonderful tile - do not put carpet!!!! Maybe eliminate a couple of chairs. It looks like you have an abundance.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:58PM
I have to agree with Sustainable on educating the son.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:57PM
Sustainable- that is what I keep telling my husband LOL ( I am 6 years older then him) ;(
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:08PM
pegonia1
Margo, we all know you are irreplaceable.....why is it so difficult for your husband to understand???? Keep working on him :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:12PM
Hey pegonia- out of curiousity, where are you located?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:18PM
pegonia1
Monterey Bay Area - California, but originally from Oklahoma.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:19PM
How long have you been out there? I have been missing Cal. lately!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:21PM
pegonia1
I've been on the West Coast (with a few other zigzags) for about 28 years.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:23PM
Modern Age Designs, LLC
Love your room. I like the idea of having two different sections of conversations by having the sofas backs facing each other. I would probably add a nice sofa table for atleast one lamp to brighten it up in the center of the room or perhaps have a large light fixture that would suit the style. Moving things around gives them a fresh look and that is always good. I also would not paint the wood or the walls. Just bring in some color in pillows and maybe curtains can have a light hint of sunny yellow. Bring in some textiles as art with bright colors.

But I do love your room and the accessories.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:35PM
sstarr93
I would love to see a couple of pieces of more modern furniture in the living room, perhaps a large modern sofa in very light linen.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:37PM
Another back to back concept - reminded me of your style.

1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:03PM
csevene
What a great room you have ...
Rearrange to give it a whole different feel but don't change the features that make it unique!!!!
Your son must be very young .. lol
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:41PM
Teresa H
Thanks everybody!!!! Yes, my son is 13! And almost all his friends live in modern apartments ! This is why he feels we are living in an old house!!
I love your compliments and advice!!
ThAnks thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:11PM
Need help: Front of our old house
Exterior color for a very modern look Hello. We are...
Annemarie
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Laura
My sons' room
I am buying a lightly distressed navy blue bunk bed...
bihamer
PLEASE HELP US with this room so we can sale our house!! :D
Hi, my name is Sarah and I am new here. Please...
sarahcecilia
Chandelier size
I have a chopped up master bath and am doing some upgrading....
Kathryn Mccall-hagin
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
Which blind colour? Please help
Hi design world, please help us make a decision on...
haylz24
Desperately needing curb appeal help!
This is the front of our house. Lots of flagstone...
kwesselman
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie