Suggestion required for large room without pillars in the middle.
ssuresh316
Hi All,

Appreciate the fantastic information provided by Houzz. I wanted to know if an Room of 26Feet x 26Feet can be constructed without a pillar in the center. There are 8 pillars at North, Northeast, Northwest, East, Southeast, South, Southwest and West respectively. Each of the Pillars are dimensioned 30cms x 45cms.

Ideally, how many beams need to be used and what are the dimensions required ?

What would be the pros and cons of planning such structure?

Thanks in advance for all the help
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
You need a Civil engineer to inspect and give you the requirements based on approved architectural drawings and/or site inspection. There is a product designed to span large areas - Wood I Beams.
September 29, 2013 at 7:47PM     
Ironwood Builders
ssuresh316...I hope all the pros on Houzz are in agreement here. Your room can be built as you envision it but we pros leave those sort of questions to a different kind of pro. Joanne is correct in that you need an engineer...but call a structural engineer. Civil engineers do roads, drainage, utilities and surveying. Structural engineers tell us how to make the building stand up.
September 29, 2013 at 10:52PM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Totally in agreement. The ridge beam will be spanning 26 feet with smaller rafters spanning 13 feet in two directions. The structural engineer will be able to give you several options for the type of beams and how they connect. I suggest that you have some photographs of the look that you want to achieve. Do you want exposed beams and rafters? Or do you want them concealed ?
September 29, 2013 at 11:39PM   
Fred S
Between the mix of using inches and centimeters, and the 12"x 18" columns, it sounds as though this is a concrete structure. This is a good example of why we don't / can't make such recommendations without being physically on the jobsite. We don't even know what building materials you are using.
September 30, 2013 at 1:02AM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Good point.... I assumed it was a wood roof structure....
September 30, 2013 at 1:08AM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
If it a concrete ceiling then the answer is that you can span 26 feet, but you need a structural engineer.......same answer but a different solution.
September 30, 2013 at 1:27AM   
Fred S
Of course it may be necessary to spread out the load of the entire building. Some areas build right up to the property line on sandy soil. That center pillar can have an awfully big footing under it to have to make up for on the perimeter. :)
September 30, 2013 at 1:36AM   
Need advice! My cats are shredding my beautiful Pottery Barn rug!
I spent months looking for the perfect area rug for...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am ready to choose 3 mini pendants over the island...
Curtain panel selection-
Which is a better fit for this place? The beige or...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...