Purple black and white, do I need another colour
row_014
I need help tying our bedroom together. Should I add another colour apart from purple? Grey? Silver? I'm looking for a serene feel. The bed and side tables stay. The dresser and tall boy stays although I can paint them (again). The oval mirror sits on top of the low dresser but I need to buy some screws to put it up there. I liked the circle table in the corner when it was just sheers but now I've rehung the curtains after getting the room carpeted it looks stupid. Please help!
row_014
The other side. Bed has to stay where it is, no power points up the other end of room and it would face the door to the bathroom. Door in the middle is for the hallway. Room is 6.5mx 3m
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:01AM
row_014
I like this art. A local artist has said they can do it for me in whatever colours i like. Should I get it with a grey background, black branches and purple flowers? Or add some colour? Scroll over for full pic
3 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:03AM
row_014
Curtains are cream and need replacing. They don't go with the white sheers
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:04AM
row_014
The wall our bed is on is undercoat white at the moment until I know what I want. I really like the look of stencilled walls (wallpaper not an option in the tropics).

Any advice for me?
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:05AM
row_014
I also want to replace the roller blind on the little window next to the bed. I'd like to replace out box air con with a split system one day but funds don't allow just yet. Looking for some quick wins here!
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:07AM
row_014
Did I mention carpet stays as it is new
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:09AM
row_014
This is my favourite bedroom on Houzz.
2 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:10AM
row_014
And my second favourite, or maybe this is first

0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:11AM
row_014
I love the feel of this bedroom

0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:12AM
row_014
I like how cozy this is

0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:13AM
row_014
Is it too much much black? Some bedrooms can pull it off, can mine?

0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:14AM
Interior Style Solutions
Hi
I would place the tallboy between the two doors facing the bed and remove the photo. Would you consider painting all the doors white/off white? A soft teal colour would look lovely with the purple. Add 2 light teal European shams and soft teal throw in the mix. I would also have much larger lamps on the side tables (same style as you have).
3 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:20AM
row_014
Thanks interior style solutions. Forgot to add the door into Bathroom is a sliding door. Do you think it would be ok for the tallboy to be in front of that? Thanks for the idea of the soft teal... Would make it very peaceful :)
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 2:52AM
row_014
I know the doors don't really go with the purple but they are the same in the rest of the house, they add character which I think gets lost with white doors. It would be a last resort to paint them
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 2:55AM
row_014
I'll move the tallboy and see what you think. I didn't like all the furniture on one side but I couldn't see any other possibilities, but will def try this!
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 2:58AM
Rina
Hi row_014. Your other thread has been such fun that I must chime in here too. First thoughts -- yes to silver! In the lamps? Think about patterned curtains, but what, exactly, would depend on whether or not you stencil the bed wall, and what pattern you use. And of course whether you eventually pull in any other colour. I agree that the blind next to the bed needs replacing, when you sort the curtains out. The oval mirror scares me -- it looks huge! But perhaps when hung with the low dresser it will work. Hmm, the little round table in the corner ... canst use elsewhere?

Pretty lamps from wayfair.com.au.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 3:39AM
Interiors by Kelli
All of the inspiration rooms you posted are monocromatic (except for the first one) creating a quiet, tranquil space. So, I would use that as my jumping off point. You can go with any color palette you like - just keep things monocromatic - low contrast. Move the tall dresser between the two doors and use the same type of window treatments on the small window as you do on the large. Keep the bedding simple with maybe a pop of color (take a look at the inspiration photos) Use the pop of color as your guide for the color you put on the walls. Good luck with your bedroom - I'm sure it will turn out beautifully
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 4:00AM
row_014
Thanks for sticking with me Rina. As always, appreciate your advice very much! The mirror is big! But with the low dresser it works and once I move the tallboy it will have a wall to itself to shine on. This is the pic from when I bought it. If it doesn't work I can always just hang a mirror above it. But I kinda like it coz its unique
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 4:34AM
row_014
Thanks for your comments, Interiors by Kelli. Yes you're right I do like monochromatic schemes, but I'm also not afraid of colour. I have a bright green dining room wall and a purple living room wall :D But I do want our bedroom to be peaceful so I think muted monochromatic will work for me
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 4:37AM
Rina
Delighted to have the opportunity to stick with you. Do you want to stick with the purple (looks more maroon on my screen)? I ask because I can see that dark furniture, and the dark doors (which I really like) working beautifully with a range of soft, light greyish blues and very soft teal. A blue-on-blue or teal-on-teal stencil on the bed wall would be lovely. Of course the latter could work well with the purple/maroon anyway. But it's quit a heavy colour.

Yes I like the mirror and dresser together. They're fun.
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 4:52AM
Rina
I meant taupe, above, not teal. Although the blues used could be teals, as Interior Style Selections suggested, as does on of your pictures. This is just a little box playing with colours and a bit of shine from the lamp. Where the taupe side of the scale is concerned, it would have to blend with your carpet, which looks as though it may be more of a straight beige. But that would also work.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 6:03AM
Rina
I think you're fast asleep by now. I hope so. I've been exploring images online, to see what keeps the calm of purples and maroons, and the one conclusion I've come to is green. Very soft greens -- a grey-green, for instance, or the colour of chopped mint whipped into cream. Whatever that is. I think the use of black in your room is not helping if you want a serene environment. If you replaced, for example, black cushions with green cushions, that would probably help. I would suggest varying the depth of the colour -- a couple of very light green cushions and darker one, maybe. A couple of lighter maroon/purple cushions. Very light green sheets. Then pick up the colour on the surface of one of your dressers with a vase, or jewellery box, or whatever. And I think you should hang on to your idea of silver, so your art would be perfect. It's lovely. And the silver will add a glow to the room.

There is another colour that works beautifully -- I have a ground cover in my garden that uses it. But I can't imagine Dearest Spouse going for it. It's pink.

Paint walls in a paler version of the colour of your carpet, and do your stencilling using two versions of that colour -- I think light on dark looks better than dark on light, but that's a matter of taste.

If you want to keep the white sheers, perhaps look for a neutral patterned curtain that tones with your carpet, and match your walls to that, too -- something like the curtains below, though I can't see the colour of your carpet well enough to determine whether either would be right. Both from gummersonfabrics.com.au. You need a little subtle pattern in the room, it would lighten the mood. The other alternative is to augment your sheers with plain neutral blinds that come halfway between white and your carpet, because, come to think of it, if you do the stencil on the wall, that will provide the softening pattern.

How does that sound to you?
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 9:50AM
row_014
Rina, all your ideas sound so lovely! Grey-green looks really nice with the purple, I'll take a pic when I get home of some cheap fake flowers that have grey-green leaves. I'd put them in there for 5 minutes coz the colours looked nice but I'd totally forgotten about it! That would flow nicely into the bathroom as we have a greenish glass basin bowl (not that it needs to flow as it is a completely separate room, but I'd like it to be cohesive). I am absolutely loving the idea of a taupe stencilled wall. Easy to change out decor if I get sick if it. And I agree light on dark for the stencil. Are stencils an easy DIY? I've never done a wall but I'm willing to give it a go!
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 2:12PM
row_014
Does this show the colours better? The purple is really a darkish mauve
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 2:14PM
row_014
This is the bedroom from the real estate pics when we bought the house... the wall behind the bed was brown but with the brown/greenish slate & brown curtains I really hated it. Even once I'd changed the curtains the colour still made me depressed. So not having brown in our bedroom!
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 4:27PM
row_014
I love the taupe on these walls
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 4:29PM
row_014
I better not show hubby this one, he'll be wanting to hang his trophies in our bedroom! Not quite my style, but very nice

0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 4:32PM
Rina
Yes, the first of the two pictures is really lovely. Also not sure about the second one, but it blends colours really well (except for the curtains; not so much). And oh my yes, I can see why brown is but truly out of the question for you.

Stencilling itself is not difficult, but you have to be careful with the placing of the stencil and it takes time. I can't see why you shouldn't cope well with it. You might find a taupe/beige colour that has a metallic finish, to give the wall a slight sheen. It wouldn't be excessively expensive because it's a technique that doesn't use all that much paint.

That pic shows the colour well. It's very subtle, isn't it? Nice.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 11:18PM
row_014
Thanks again Rina! Here is the fake flowers I have for colour reference. I like the colour of the dark lavender flowers too
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 1:16AM
row_014
This is the colour of the carpet. A light beige
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 1:20AM
row_014
I like the stencil on this wall. But I think a geometric pattern wouldn't give the softening effect I want?

0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 1:22AM
row_014
I like this stencil but it looks like way to much hard work!

0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 1:24AM
row_014
Here is the tallboy between the doors. Looks a bit funny!
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 2:00AM
row_014
But the other wall looks better with more space (mirror will fill it up - getting screws tomorrow so can put it up). What's your opinion? I might try the tallboy on the other side of the dresser
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 2:01AM
row_014
Tallboy on left of dresser. I like it like this but the look will change when the mirror goes up
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 2:11AM
Rina
I'd steer well away from a double stencil pattern for DIY. Yikes. How about the one below? Details on http://www.britishpaints.com.au/Advice/DIY-Inspiration-Blog/Articles/6-Ideas-on-how-to-paint-with-stencils-in-the-home.

I agree, the tallboy looks odd between the doors. And you can't use the low chest there, even if it fits which it probably doesn't, as the mirror would be overwhelming in that position and probably get in the way of the sliding door. Leave them where they are; they look rather like a single piece of furniture anyway. Just don't push it right against the window wall, centre the two pieces between that wall and the smaller window to allow breathing space. Place your art between the two doors instead. Much better.

Yes, those colours, including the deep purple flowers, are great -- for calming effect, the green should be much lighter, though, in the bigger items (eg sheets, cushions). But use the deep colour very sparingly -- the room needs lightening, not darkening, to get the effect you want.

The carpet's a lovely colour. I'm sure you can find a perfect wall colour to blend with it, though it will probably be more beige than taupe. Start hunting for paint samples!
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 2:37AM
Rina
PS I'm just now concentrating on the variations of the two chests. Yes, the wall does look better with more space, but then you'll have to find another room for the tall chest. If you use them together, I think the tall one must be on the right (it will loom over the view from your bed, otherwise) and you should snuggle them together to give the impression of one piece.
1 Like   October 1, 2013 at 2:40AM
row_014
Thanks Rina! Can't put art between the doors becoz the end one is a slider! Thanks for your other suggestions. I'll move the tallboy back on the right and push it together.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 2:57AM
row_014
I'll relocate the round table too! Might have to sell it or maybe it can go in the enclosed garage. Agree about the tallboy looming over the view from the bed... In bed now and you're totally correct! Will look for some paint
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 3:55AM
Rina
Oh, of course, very absent-minded of me to want the picture there. I just wanted you to have something nice to look at from the bed.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 6:07AM
row_014
Some stencils I like
1 Like   October 1, 2013 at 3:48PM
row_014
I also love the damask stencils but think this will make the room too girly? Or too busy?
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 3:53PM
row_014
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 4:07PM
row_014
I love this shiny on matte look. That's what I want for my wall (not the design though)

2 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 4:09PM
row_014
I like this damask print wall but this room is a lot softer than mine is.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 4:13PM
row_014
This stencil?
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 5:14PM
cathieg
Hi Row. I really like the Morrocan style stencil (the first one today), and I think it would look great in the lustre finish you like.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 7:52PM
Rina
Good morning ... afternoon ... Row. I agree with Cathieg, I like the first one best. It has grace, it's not too girly or too ornate for the room. That would be my pick. Have you shown the Husband any of these, or is he determinedly ignoring this process?
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 10:02PM
row_014
Thanks Cathieg and Rina! Hubby did wonder what I was moving the furniture all around for yesterday! And he knows I planned to paint the wall. He'd be happy to live in a grass roofed house in the Solomon Islands so he doesn't really care what I do! The next project will be his shed. We need to run electricity to it and put some cool storage solutions in for him. Then my spare room wardrobe won't have to be full of fishing gear, and the spare room floor won't have to have arrows and a bow on it. My hubby is very much the hunter and gatherer type!
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 11:15PM
Emily Harvey
Wall paper the wall behind ur bed silver or paint it silver
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 11:20PM
row_014
Mirror is on! What do you think?
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 12:26AM
row_014
Excuse my wonky taping and hubby lazing in bed. This is how big the art is that I'm getting. Three canvases 40cnx40cm. Is it the right size?
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:33AM
row_014
Forgot the pic!
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:34AM
row_014
I've requested a quote for this stencil. It seems hard to find companies in Australia that sell this pattern. I've asked for it to be the other way around (lines cut out) so I can paint just the lines over top with the shiny paint rather than having to paint the whole wall with more expensive paint and then cover most of it with the matte paint
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:36AM
Rina
Hi. The mirror looks great! You must be delighted. And now that I see that low dresser more clearly, I really like it. Yes, the picture sizes and position look spot on to me. Good luck on getting your stencil -- of course you can't paint metallic all over the wall, it would be nuts to do that. It's going to be fine work, but I'm sure you're up to it. I presume you've trawled the net for advice on the best ways to do stencilling?
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 1:49AM
row_014
Will I need a brush? Or do you think I will be able to roll it? I need to see if bunnings have any of the self adhesive spray for the back of the stencil
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 3:53AM
Rina
I think a brush is much safer than a roller, although I think there are special stencilling rollers available. The brush has a flat or rounded tip, and when you have the stencil nice and firmly on the wall (aside from the adhesive, use a couple of bits of tape to hold it quite still), you use an almost dry brush to stipple the design in. I think this would give the minimum chance of paint bleeding under the stencil. You might try phoning a large paint manufacturer to find out if they have an advice department on techniques. I've seen it recommended that you use a flat paint for the undercoats as the stencil paint will adhere more cleanly. Makes sense to me. Try searching Houzz -- there may well be an article on stencil techniques.
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 4:23AM
cathieg
My kids always say I'm the queen of You Tube, as I always go to it for tutorials on any technique or skill I haven't yet mastered. There will definitely be some tutorials on stencilling a wall, for sure. I have stencilled fabric and furniture but nothing as large as a wall. I used a flat tipped brush for both projects and very little paint as you can't load the brush too much. I also believe the scale is right for the artwork above the bed. I like the dresser and think its quite glamorous looking...very Art Deco like.
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:20AM
Rina
Oh, that's funny -- I'm so 20th century I don't even think of You Tube. And the fact that I live in a place where broadband is expensive probably explains why I very seldom dip in there. But oh yes, you'll become an expert. It's definitely got an edge, that dresser. Good pick, whenever you picked it. Don't you dare not keep us updated.
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:45AM
row_014
Rina, I wouldn't dream of it! I've got some paint chips that i need to look through and then I'll need your advice on that!! I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but do you think the same colour in high gloss would provide enough contrast, or should I go a shade lighter with the stencil paint?
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:43PM
row_014
We have a long weekend this weekend so I'm hoping to choose a base paint colour by then and hopefully get the bottom colour done... I've also got 5 cubic metres of mulch to shovel so I'm gonna be busy!!
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:46PM
row_014
I'm glad the dresser looks good. I bought them both on eBay and then spent a small fortune on getting them trucked up to me. Then had to sand back and repaint coz they were in way worse condition than advertised and because the tallboy had emerald green sides!
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:49PM
row_014
I can get this on amazon from cutting edge stencils at a very reasonable price. It looks the same as the one I posted earlier that you liked?
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 2:02PM
row_014
Clarify, that we liked!
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 2:21PM
row_014
Ok, so the Australian company quoted $200 (!!!) for reverse design of one of their similar Moroccan stencils (so I only have to paint the trellis bit). And that last stencil i found on amazon doesn't post to Australia! I found a DIY, make your own stencil instruction which involves getting some suitable plastic, tracing on the pattern and cutting it out yourself but I don't think I'm patient enough to do that! Also not sure if i can cut little enough gaps so I get most of the trellis pattern and still hold the larger shapes in the middle together (if you zoom in to the last one I posted you can see the little white bits in the trellis that I mean). What to do???
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 4:36PM
row_014
Actually, just had a look on cutting edge stencils and they ship worldwide so I can order from them :) postage is almost as much as the stencil but oh well! It'll be around $100 so not too bad
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 4:54PM
row_014
Stencil is ordered!
2 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:04PM
Rina
Good morning/afternoon. Well done on tracking that stencil down and hunting it through the underbrush. Antipodean Amazon, that's you. You asked above about gloss on flat in the same colour -- not enough for this purpose, I think. It would be great for e.g. wide stripes. What about the idea of using a metallic, silvery finish? Otherwise, probably two shades lighter -- it depends a bit on the actual colour. One might be enough to give you the look you want. I find in some colours (just generally, never mind in paint) a couple of shades gives a major contrast, in some it blends. You need to get samples and try them on a board painted in the base colour, using the width of the eventual stencil stripe. Look at the result from a distance of six foot or so and use the one you like.

Good look with the mulch. The very thought makes me fade, but then I have a few decades on you.

Cathieg, good morning/afternoon to you, too.
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 10:12PM
cathieg
Hi ladies, not much activity from me lately as my daughter has been hospitalised with post natal depression and I've been spending most of my time being full-time grandmother. I'm loving spending so much time with the babies, but it's exhausting and very worrying of course.
Well done row, on tracking down the stencil. I would be more inclined to order it rather than attempt to DIY the stencil too. Great advice from Rina in regard to making up samples. Dulux used to do a nice range of lustre finishes which I think would look fab, so hopefully you can source something like that.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:48AM
Rina
Oh, Cathieg, that is grim. My thoughts are with you and your daughter and the babies. I hope this bad time is soon over.
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 10:40AM
row_014
Cathieg, I really feel for you! My mother got PND when my brother was born (i was 2) and didnt get over it until I was 12 so I can remember some of the difficulty of it. I hope your daughter pulls through ok and you have enough strength to cope! Thinking of you
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 1:58PM
row_014
I'm getting excited! My local artist is creating something like this art on 3 canvases for... Guess how much... $80!!!
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 10:31PM
row_014
I picked up my art today but the flowers are too purple. Do you agree? They match the purple in the lavender fake flowers on my dresser but don't really match the bed... Should I get a cushion with that colour in it for our bed to tie the colours in or should I get the artist to redo the flowers if possible?
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 1:30AM
row_014
I have got a couple of paint samples too. I just need to paint a board so I can see what they look like. Maybe tomorrow or Friday
0 Likes   October 9, 2013 at 1:31AM
Rina
Welcome back. Not that I've been around much. They look more on the blue side of purple than the bed, which is on the red side. But it's beautiful. Try to find a piece of cloth that colour before spending money on a cushion you may not want. If that doesn't work, yes, ask the artist to bring your exact colour into the flowers. I wonder if it would look odd if both colours appeared in the flowers? You know how some blooms are one colour when they're young and fade or intensify to another? Ask the artist's opinion about that. It might make the image look even richer to have the play of two colours.
1 Like   October 9, 2013 at 5:27AM
row_014
Ok, so I've taken the art back and she's going to fix up the colours to be more like the cushions. I think that's the only way I'll be happy... I don't think I need any more dark colours in there
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 12:38AM
row_014
The art is back and hubby not sick in bed anymore so I could take some pics. Definitely looks better. Should I get some silver pillows to swap for the black ones to soften the look? I've had a think about it and don't want to add mint green or any contrasting colour, I'd rather it be monochromatic
1 Like   October 16, 2013 at 12:12AM
row_014
I picked up two sample pots too. Here is Taubmans torte which on the paint chip looked very similar colour to the carpet but in real life is way more brown! What do you think?
0 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 12:20AM
cathieg
Hi Row :-) In different light the paint looks different colours. I like the look of it next to the dresser, but against the art not so much. Perhaps a colour with a little more grey tones, like taupe. I like your idea of introducing silver to tie in with the art work.
1 Like   October 16, 2013 at 1:22AM
row_014
I agree Cathieg! A few more sample pots needed I think, this wont be super easy!
0 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 3:38AM
Rina
I think silver cushions are a brainwave. And I love the way the art looks behind the bed now. NB about the paint, don't forget that you also want it to work with the stencilling ... sorry about that, but I think some colours work better than others with a particular stencil colour. Onwards!
1 Like   October 16, 2013 at 4:57AM
row_014
I bought a grey cushion. It's not really working is it? Second pic is the two I liked in the shop (didn't buy the lighter one as it looked to frilly?). Do I need a more silvery colour?
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 9:10PM
row_014
What if I paint the wall behind the bed the same as the rest of the room with a lighter (white gloss?) stencil pattern over the top?

Second pic shows it very dark (first is about true colour - on my screen at least!) and it looks ok with the carpet don't you think?
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 9:25PM
row_014
First pic shows art against the colour. I think it looks ok. Better than the other browner colour!
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 9:26PM
Rina
Yes, more silvery and lighter (although it does look lighter in the pic on the right). Also, that one looks a bit wintery -- do you need that level of warmth where you live? Agree, the other is much too frilly. To get a real silver you need a fabric with more shine. Or sequins, which I'm not sure you want. It's worth clicking on the second one below just because I think it's perfect, and I couldn't get the bigger image to copy; also of course quite pricey but perhaps you can look for something like that? Or find a fabric (check wedding shops) and get one made?
http://www.izzz.com.au/claudia-quilt-cover-kas-p.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bedding+Mattresses&utm_term=Claudia+Samara+Silver+Cushion+by+Kas
http://www.justbedding.com.au/silver-bower-cushion-by-kas.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bedding+Mattresses&utm_term=Silver+Bower+Cushion+by+KAS

Have you written yet? How did it go?
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 9:38PM
Rina
Yes, that looks like a good colour. White gloss on that should work -- but try it out on a board first. And dilute the gloss with scumble glaze to minimise the contrast and make it more subtle; you don't want it looking too solid. (Well, you might, but I don't.) Your paint supplier should be able to tell you how much glaze to use.
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 9:42PM
row_014
You hit the nail on the head Rina! It does look very wintry! Considering it never gets below 10 deg of a winter night and days hardly below 20 (and that's in winter!) I don't want it wintry! Will take it back. Your suggestion looks perfect and it is less than what I paid for this one lol. I hate spending heaps on cushions but double income, no kids (yet) we can afford it :)
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 9:49PM
row_014
Rina, Thanks for your advice about the stencil. I agree, I don't want it to standout too much. Just a subtle addition of pattern. I'm off to find out if we have any left over paint in the shed (there's a tin there from when the prev owners painted but not sure if anything is in it!) will paint my board if I find some :)
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 10:07PM
row_014
New arrangement on the dresser. What do you think? I like the room a whole lot better with the green gone! I didn't realise how much it was affecting my love of the room until I took it out!
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 10:16PM
row_014
Or I can stay super simple with the cushions?

Sorry, forgot to answer your question earlier Rina! Exam went ok. Glad it's over, such a weight off my shoulders and now I can focus on the fun stuff like redecorating :)
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 10:33PM
Rina
Good, about the exam. Few things bring as much relief as getting an exam over and done with. I may be treading on something you really like, but I would fly the large white pillow; it looks Victorian. Delicious in that context, but not in this. Then I would add the silver and make sure it rests on the purple cover, not the white sheet -- i.e. pull the cover right up. Oh, and what happened to the striped cushion in your first pic? I like that one, and it has a hint of silver in the stripes.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 10:42PM
row_014
Thanks Rina, I was trying to make the white one work coz I like it but I see what you mean! The striped one isn't far away but I thought black wasn't doing much for the look? I'll put the striped one back but leave the solid black off and get rid of the white one. Do you think I need euro size pillows? Perhaps two that size would work better? This was my inspiration layout but if it doesn't work with my style that's fair enough!
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 12:20AM
Rina
Yes, your headboard and general treatment have enough "body" for euro pillows. But I wouldn't go white. I think it would be good if you could get something like this, below, which reminds me of my mother's mulberry ice cream. Yum. It's not too pink and girly for the husband, and would provide a good background for both the silver and the darker colours of the other pillows. Ayayay, that's quite a bed, isn't it? Fit for the Empress of All China.

I think it's fine to have that one note of black in the striped pillow.

Alas must work now.
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 12:42AM
row_014
I just about bought euros today that were that colour!!! I'll have to go back and get them. The bed is only a cheapie made in china (faux leather) ;)
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:06AM
Rina
Great minds, girl. Great minds. Good for cheapies, I say. I think you'll find it a lot easier to make sense of the cushion arrangement with two euros than with the one big white one. Now I really must work. Must. Work. Must.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:28AM
row_014
Haha Rina! I know what you mean! Houzz can waste so much time ;)
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 3:43PM
row_014
I found the paint and it had some watery blue stuff on the top which I stirred in coz I thought it was separated paint. I painted my board but the colour is way off and has blue specs in it. Weird!! I'll see if can get a sample pot of that colour and paint my board again :)
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 3:48PM
Rina
Thanks for the 'like', Cathieg. I hope your daughter is recovering well.
2 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 1:22AM
row_014
Very quick update. I had a 'mums' look in the garden shed and found the tin of paint that the three other walls are. I've bought some new paint and painted the back wall and am about to stencil (a little bit scared I'll stuff it up!!) I've bought the same colour Taubmans Portland Stone 50% in semi gloss for the stencil. I'll post progress photos. Wish me luck!
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 8:53PM
Rina
Hi Row. I've just been telling the mad cookie jar people about you. Good things. Shall I tell them where to find this thread? With due warnings not to start suggesting orange walls?

Amazingly wonderful that you are about to stencil. Start with an easy corner, do a little bit, let it dry properly then see how you like it. This is a three cartwheel occasion.
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 10:06PM
Rina
Oops, went back to the thread and one of them found your link already. They have been warned. Assuming any of them have enough time left from the cookie jar thread to play.
3 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 10:11PM
meghaluvdecor
hi row i think if u add somethin gold or silver it will get a more edgy look please help me also help for a bedroom please please
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 10:13PM
meghaluvdecor
rina pls help me
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 10:16PM
chookchook2
Do not do orange walls, Row. It's too hot out there! I'm from Oz.
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 10:22PM
chookchook2
My bookmarks are full of stencils!
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 10:23PM
meghaluvdecor
chookchook2 pls help me
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 10:23PM
Rina
Meghaluvdecor, start a thread and post the link here. Yo Chook. Row, meet Chook. Chook, meet Row.
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 11:06PM
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:08PM
Rina
Oh, meghaluv, Row has some silver cushions in place on her bed by now, I think. :)
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:14PM
meghaluvdecor
oh
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:15PM
meghaluvdecor
pls help me i have posted the link
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:16PM
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:16PM
armipeg
Throw in some grey, and silver. You'll be surprised at the beauty.
0 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:41PM
row_014
Rina, I'll have to go and have another read of the cookie jar discussion. It gave me a few good laughs this morning!!!

Chookchook good to meet you! A fellow Aussie ;). I've been busy with the stencil but had enough for one day! Will give it another crack tomorrow. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have some cookies
2 Likes   December 29, 2013 at 11:41PM
row_014
And yes, I have got some more cushions for the bed. I'd show you except when I moved the bed to paint the walls I broke one of the legs and bent another one. Oops!! So mattress is on the floor and bed is sitting on the ground with no legs!!! Will post pics when it's all functioning again ;)
1 Like   December 29, 2013 at 11:43PM
Rina
That's hilarious. Sorry. Listen, that wall is looking so subtly beautiful in the pics. Are you feeling happy about it? Enjoy your cookies. Me, I must work.
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 12:07AM
row_014
Yes, I'm loving it! And hubby thought it was pretty cool to :)

I just went looking through the dilemmas and saw the orange. Yikes! No orange for me chook! Maybe I'll go with Mt St Anne 10% though? What do you think? Lol
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 12:11AM
row_014
Why didn't someone warn me this would take so long?!! 3.5 hours this morning to get this far! Rina, I'm blaming you coz you suggested this!! ;)
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 6:50PM
Denita
Beautiful work!
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 6:52PM
Rina
Mea culpa, but a happy fault. You gonna be glad when you've done it. Actually I think it was your idea and just cheered you on? Or maybe not. Too little time to reread thread.
2 Likes   December 30, 2013 at 10:09PM
grobby
Jumping in. Curious if you kept the "love birds painting." Couldn't read entire post, my comprehension isn't THAT good, lol.
2 Likes   December 30, 2013 at 10:15PM
row_014
Hi grobby! Yes have kept the love bird painting for now ;)
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 11:31PM
row_014
Stencil all done! Need to change the roller blind now... Colour looks horrible!
1 Like   December 30, 2013 at 11:45PM
chookchook2
Really nice, Row. I'll catch the Sydney fireworks tonight. happy New Year!
1 Like   December 31, 2013 at 12:11AM
row_014
Happy new year to you too Rina!
1 Like   December 31, 2013 at 12:17AM
Rina
And to you, and to Chook too, of course. Sydney just has the best fireworks, doesn't it? Though I'm glad that Mr Dog and I don't live there. It'll be rough enough here.

Row, I think you've done a great job. Yes, the roller blind may no longer live in that room.

Thanks for sharing the other pics -- see, you were dreaming of pattern on walls before I came along.
1 Like   December 31, 2013 at 12:48AM
row_014
Chookchook, I have to apologise! I thought it was Rina who commented just above and said happy NY to her instead of you! I'm sure you had a great one. About to google the Sydney fireworks coz I'm sure they were awesome!
0 Likes   December 31, 2013 at 11:54PM
row_014
Love birds will stay for now I think (bed will be higher when legs are back on!)
0 Likes   December 31, 2013 at 11:55PM
Rina
Happy Jan 1, Row. 'Tis true, beds with legs tend to be higher than beds without legs. That's looking so fine, including the love birds.. Now, does anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the air conditioner? I've never had to deal with one of those. Would painting it out in the wall colour be feasible? Or would it gum up the works?
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 12:09AM
row_014
Thanks Rina! And happy new year to you :) A new split AC is in the plans. Just not sure how soon! I agree it looks horrible! Paint would only chip off this plastic I think :(
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 1:21PM
Rina
Hi Row. That's good about the new AC. If that one is headed for the dumpster anyway you might as well try painting it for now -- check with your paint supplier if there's an undercoat you can use that will help the paint stick for a while. I'm just not sure about painting the mesh (?), the result might look quite odd.
1 Like   January 1, 2014 at 8:08PM
ahillswife
A pop of gray would look great.
0 Likes   January 1, 2014 at 8:40PM
Window dressings
What would you do in this room? The larger of the...
Need help for kitchen hardware choices
Our entire home is adorned with brass knobs, handles,...
Living Room
Hi, Need a little spice for my living room. Want...
Go to it, guys!
Wanting to change the flooring, paint, & update the...