What shade of wood would work well with our new hardwood floors?
jakrey
We recently renovated our home which included new hardwood floors. What tone of wood would work best for us? I've attached pictures of the couch/chairs we purchased which have the new floor in the pictures.
giaksch
I'm confused. The chairs don't coordinate, at least from the pic. I might go shabby chic distressed white wood to match the fun patterned chair and not use the leather one
September 30, 2013 at 5:07AM     
giaksch
Fun throw pillows on the couch to tie in the patterned chair would look great and the dark floor would anchor it all
September 30, 2013 at 5:08AM   
jakrey
The leather chair was a compromise for my husband :) I am not a fan, but it was the smallest recliner like chair that did not take over the room. I'm looking to purchase a new coffee table, end tables and console table to go under our tv which is mounted on the wall opposite of the couch. I am unsure if the right way to go is rustic looking furniture, medium tone wood, etc. I would like everything to flow and not look I bought everythig without thought. This is the color of our dining room table - it is a weather gray. I don't think carrying this color to the family room would work.
September 30, 2013 at 5:15AM   
Jazmin Sagaert
I hear you about the recliner, but at least it is brown. How about a beige throw on it to tone down the darkness
September 30, 2013 at 5:22AM        Thanked by jakrey
jakrey
I plan on adding more accessories as we move on. Hoping to find a throw in a similar shade of blue of the floral chair. The big issues are the wood tone for the coffee table, console and end tables. Unsure of what wood tone (light, medium, etc) would look best.
September 30, 2013 at 5:24AM   
carolins
You can mix woods. No worries. If you want a base to start your search from, try to find the undertone in your wooden floor. Look at the grain in the wood. Is it red? Or chocolate? Then you can try to find tables that have the same tone. I'm guessing that for your floor red or chocolate tone wooden tables will look good. Since your coffee table will be on a rug, you don't have to worry about that matching with your floor.

Or, you can go for entirely different colours. Like your grey dining set (love it). Looks good with your kitchen cabinets and your floor doesn't it? And your kitchen cabinets look good with your floor too. So there are a couple of examples that you could look for?

I'll see if I can find you some examples so you can visualize it :-)
September 30, 2013 at 10:40AM     
carolins
Coffee tables from www.coffeetablesgalore.com and rugs from www.homedecorators.com
September 30, 2013 at 11:04AM   
Amy Cali
how about metal and glass tables to show off your gorg new floors?
September 30, 2013 at 11:25AM     
indomom
Love the coffee table on the lower right, carolins!!
September 30, 2013 at 11:39AM     
jakrey
Thank you all for your comments. Amy - I like the idea of metal/glass, but the upkeep and constant cleanign of the glasss could be an issue. Our last table has a glass insert and the smudge marks drove me nuts. However, it might be a good contrast to a heavy all wood console table.
September 30, 2013 at 11:53AM     
jakrey
This table I saw at Pottery Barn. Not huge and the round shape would be easy to walk around.
September 30, 2013 at 11:53AM     
carolins
I do like the round glass table with your sectional and fabric chair. Not so much with the recliner.
September 30, 2013 at 12:13PM   
jancol56
yes, i too love the light colored coffee table Carolins posted
September 30, 2013 at 12:17PM     
jakrey
Is it best to go with items that work with everything BUT the leather chair? For better/worse the chair is here to stay. I guess I will just work around it instead of trying to work it into the mix.
September 30, 2013 at 12:22PM   
I think keeping the weathered wood would work… particularly the weathered white coffee table in carolins’ choices.

Nix that beige pillow on the blue chair and find a coordinate to the blue fabric for the leather chair.
Mermaid Cushion In Blue And Gray On Natural Linen By Roddy & Ginger
Silver Hope Tree Throw Pillow Cover by The Home Centric
September 30, 2013 at 12:22PM     
carolins
Pottery Barn:
September 30, 2013 at 12:26PM     
carolins
I'm liking that everybody is liking the weathered wood coffee table :-D
But I do think that the PB one I put in the collage would work very well with your sectional and chair and with the leather chair too.
September 30, 2013 at 12:27PM   
jakrey
Could the round PB table you added carolins work with a set of glass nesting tables with iron legs and then a matching end table (match the round coffe table) on the other side of the couch? Could the console table under the tv on the wall be a more rustic look? I'm trying to not have such a traditional look.
September 30, 2013 at 12:32PM   
Genevieve
Picture a forest not all trees are made of the same wood furniture and floor shouldn't match ,I remember reading that mixing wood of 2 varieties is good ,not more then 2 .
September 30, 2013 at 12:39PM   
jakrey
Some console table/under tv options. Would any of these work with the PB round wood table?
September 30, 2013 at 12:40PM     
carolins
I'll put some options for you in the collage. I'm in Europe, so very different time zone and it's getting near my bedtime ;-) Will probably be tomorrow that I'll get round to that. Sorry...
September 30, 2013 at 12:43PM      Thanked by jakrey
carolins
Just before I'm off, I found this ideabook:

September 30, 2013 at 12:52PM   
carolins
Hi,
I put the different console options that you posted together with your sofa and the round PB coffee table. And I added a couple of grey wood end tables that I found on coffeetablesgalore. Thought it might be nice to link to the dining table.
Hope it helps you to visualize.

My personal opinion, the yellow/orange wooden one that's at the bottom doesn't go with your floor.
The iron/wood one can work, but it will look messy with the open shelving and no back to hide wires behind.

I like the brown one (top left) and the dark coloured one.
October 1, 2013 at 3:22AM     
carolins
Oops, forgot to attach pic.
October 1, 2013 at 3:23AM     
carolins
...
October 1, 2013 at 3:35AM     
jakrey
Carolins - Thank you so much for your input! We have been working with a designer and so far the only real advice we have that seemed worth our time/money was the selection of paint for our rooms. Your few posts have provide more than 3 hours of time with her. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I do like either the first or last option of consoles I attached. We may find more when we go to the store, however, we now have a great game plan.

One more question. Does the print of the color on the final collage you posted clash with the chair? It's a little sagey/blue. I was trying to not introduce too many patterns, but the idea of a solid beige area rug is boring to me.
October 1, 2013 at 7:08AM   
carolins
Oh that is so nice of you to say. Thank you. And I'm not even a real designer :-D Merely a passionate enthusiast haha. You should see my smile, you made my day.

I don't think the pattern of the carpet clashes with your chair. But maybe the colour does. It's always difficult to see colours on screen. They probably look very different in real life. I was trying to figure out if the fabric on your chair has purple or brownish flowers in it. Or maybe burgundy? Plum?

A graphic pattern, like a trellis or a stripe can work very well with your chair. Beige is difficult with your sectional. Can be the wrong shade and if the colour it is too similar to your sectional it will be a very boring combination.
A cream or ivory rug will probably work well too. I'll see if I can find you some examples again.
October 1, 2013 at 10:29AM     
jakrey
Thank you! The chair has a light to medium brown color. I've attached a close up of the fabric that shows the variations
October 1, 2013 at 10:46AM   
I would use glass for coffee table, and a reclaimed wood for others. Or even a med dark, just so there is some contrast from floors to tables.
October 1, 2013 at 10:51AM     
carolins
So... went shopping at homedecorators.com and found a couple of rugs that are both very different but would work for your furniture I think. Also, a nice floor lamp and actually one of those on each side of the sectional would be a good, contemporary look. Or one on one side and a table with table lamp on the other side for example, also nice.
October 1, 2013 at 10:55AM     
carolins
Haha... crossed posts, forget the purple pillow ;-)
October 1, 2013 at 10:56AM   
carolins
Shopped at Worldmarket:
October 1, 2013 at 11:56AM     
The teals and browns always work, mix with cream, then you have a winner. Reclaimed wood very big and goes with everything.
October 1, 2013 at 11:59AM     
jakrey
We have a dog that sheds so the shag rug is not really desirable. what about this for the console under the tv - could this work with the PB wood table or PB glass table?
October 1, 2013 at 12:37PM     
Ann
I agree with travisinteriors. I really like the idea of bringing metal, glass and reclaimed wood into the room. I love the pottery barn tanner tables (I'm guessing that's your glass one). I bought the Tanner round side table to lessen the amount of woods in my room and I LOVE that Tanner table - simple and classic. I also like the idea of a Tanner round coffee table along with metal/reclaimed wood end tables. I like carolins last World Market combo (except for the side table on the single pedastal). I do like the TV console you found too, jakrey.
October 1, 2013 at 12:51PM   
Amy Cali
jakrey, the media cabinet you posted just above is perfect! A really nice tone for your floors and a nice combination of open and closed storage and the touch of metal on the sides keeps it from looking too heavy. I think a patterned rug is the way to go for your room. I'm thinking pulling in the sage green in your accent chair would look very nice. The trick will be getting the scale of the pattern correct so not to compete with your floral chair. I'll post some ideas for you.
October 1, 2013 at 3:09PM      Thanked by jakrey
katydidit
purchase nothing else brown or beige ever
October 1, 2013 at 5:35PM   
Amy Cali
some sage/khaki green pattern rugs for your consideration
October 1, 2013 at 5:53PM     
Amy Cali
opt 2
October 1, 2013 at 5:53PM     
Amy Cali
opt 3
October 1, 2013 at 5:54PM   
Amy Cali
opt 4
October 1, 2013 at 5:55PM     
Amy Cali
opt 5
October 1, 2013 at 5:56PM     
Amy Cali
and if you are feeling adventurous, a nice bold strip would work too
October 1, 2013 at 5:58PM   
jakrey
Amy, thank you for all of your suggestions!
October 1, 2013 at 6:07PM     
carolins
So... here's the TV stand you found and a sage green rug from homedecorators.
I prefer the ivory sort of overdyed rug from homedecorators that I previously put in you room. I'll put in both of the PB tables again later today. Have to go now :-)
October 2, 2013 at 3:32AM   
suejam
Hi. Being a totally new, fresh set of eyes . . . I think the green/sage carpet doesn't go with the blue, patterned chair (love the pattern though). The rest, and what carolins did earlier, looks great. The pieces all flowed / fit well together.
October 2, 2013 at 7:32AM     
Amy Cali
i think the end table needs to be darker and the coffee table more simple
October 2, 2013 at 7:51AM   
Amy Cali
suejam, if you look at the fabric on the chair you will see the greenish color as an accent. Ultimately I agree with carolins, the cream/beige rugs seem to be the best option. I think pets are a concern, right? carolins could you please show us one of the sagey striped rugs just to check it our? thx
October 2, 2013 at 7:54AM   
carolins
Amy Cali, I'd love to do that, but I need a link to the page where you found it. The pic is too small to get a good image of how it looks in the room. Too fuzzy. Can't copy them from a Houzz page though, so I need a link to the actual shop :-)
October 2, 2013 at 7:59AM     
mamadubbs
I'm in the minority here, but is like the leather chair :)
October 2, 2013 at 8:03AM      Thanked by jakrey
October 2, 2013 at 8:15AM     
jakrey
Thank you all for your input - I like seeing other's input and suggestions. I feel like I have really great options now.

I apologize for not having this in a collage format like others, but I am not sure how to do all those special effects. So here are the photos individually.

Console table door under TV - lighter barnwood oak
Tanner glass end table - between two chairs
Glass coffee table - same style as glass end table from PB - unsure about this one - picture is posted in above photos

End tables - unsure of what to do - go with two different styles from same line as the Console.
October 2, 2013 at 8:19AM   
jakrey
Oops - sorry - the really dark console below was uploaded in error - this was the other end table I liked
October 2, 2013 at 8:22AM   
Amy Cali
jakery, where is this piece going?
October 2, 2013 at 8:25AM   
carolins
Ah... okay, lovely choices. Which coffee table do you like most?
I did put the glass PB on in your room, with Amy Cali's striped rug (couldn't get a big enough photo from the website either, so it is a bit blurry).
October 2, 2013 at 8:28AM   
indomom
I prefer the round metal and wood coffee table and I thought the fur pillows really helped tie in that leather chair.
October 2, 2013 at 8:32AM     
carolins
But the fur pillows didn't go with the rug, so for this rug to look better I had to remove them ;-)
And I prefer the dark wood coffee table, or the wood metal one from Worldmarket. They tie in the leather chair better than the glass coffee table. Makes it really part of the room in stead of a poor lonely item.
October 2, 2013 at 8:38AM     
Amy Cali
carolins, thats exactly why i asked where the dark buffet cab was going. I agree a darker accessory is needed. Maybe a coffee table that is a combo of both styles would look best? Let me hunt...brb
October 2, 2013 at 8:46AM     
jakrey
I like to two end tables I posted - one is more narrow version of the same - same line as the console table -
October 2, 2013 at 8:49AM   
jakrey
This is the narrow version - these would go on either end of the couch - the nesting glass PB would go between the two chairs - thoughts?
October 2, 2013 at 8:51AM     
jakrey
Could these two be used with the round wood PB coffee table and glass nesting tables from PB?
October 2, 2013 at 8:53AM   
Amy Cali
the best of both worlds...
October 2, 2013 at 9:02AM     
Amy Cali
or
October 2, 2013 at 9:03AM   
Amy Cali
jakrey the end tables are lovely. I am a little concerned with how much the wood matches the fabric of your sectional. carolins what do you think? is there enough contrast?
October 2, 2013 at 9:06AM   
Amy Cali
jakery here is a neat trick to try - look around your space and think in threes. Meaning where you see a dark piece try to choose two others and put them in different areas. An example would be 1. your hubs dark chair, 2. a dark coffee table (could be the dark metal of a glass table doesn't have to be wood but can be, and 3. a dark sofa table, lamp or end table. Same will go for sheen, pattern and texture. Its a great way to put together a room.
October 2, 2013 at 9:23AM     
jakrey
Okay - let me try this again :)

Two dark end tables - PB Metropolitan - on sides of couch
Dark coffee table - PB Metropolitan - middle of floor
Glass nesting table - PB Tanner - between two chairs
Console - Riverside - under tv
October 2, 2013 at 9:52AM   
jakrey
Do these styles work together?
October 2, 2013 at 9:52AM   
carolins
I do like the narrow version end table (of the console table line) next to the sofa. Think it will look nice and soft, goes with your floor, with your TV console and with your dining room table. I know that thát is elsewhere in the home (unless it is all open plan?), but still... nice.

The espresso wood PB round coffee table will be a great choice, ties in with the chair, nice with your floor, good solid looking piece. If we follow the 'three-rule' that Amy Cali posted, you could count your floor as the third dark thing. Chair, coffee table, floor.

The glass PB end tables have contrast, are light in appearance but not too light. They don't 'float'. Not sure however if a more solid looking table will look better between the two chairs.
But I would rather that you don't put the two chairs next to each other. If at all possible...?

And still not convinced about a sage rug.... Sorry Amy :-(
October 2, 2013 at 10:58AM     
carolins
Rug and pillows on the sectional from Westelm. The rest you know :-)
October 2, 2013 at 11:28AM   
carolins
I do think this rug is too busy for your chair. Still prefer the ivory one from Homedecorators.
October 2, 2013 at 11:29AM   
carolins
Or... how about this rug, from Westelm:
October 2, 2013 at 11:34AM   
carolins
Homedecorators:
October 2, 2013 at 11:53AM   
Patrick K Darnall Designer LLC
The Fireplace surround , floor and as yet unspecified rug are the "Bones" of the design. I'd use an antique Kilim rug, at least under the coffee table, if not under the entire sitting area, then pillows made with old persian rugs that coordinate, and less pastel tones than others have suggested here. Perhaps a a chunky, worn, strident antique piece (such as old RR platform cart or the like) for a coffee table. Keep the leather chair, use fireplace stone to determine sofa. Add sandblasted ceiling beams, each made out of (2) 1X8s for sides and (1) 1X6 for bottom. Select tight grained salvaged lumber, cut to size, sandblast with 4-ought.
October 2, 2013 at 11:54AM   
jakrey
Carolins - I like the single circle rug - I will need to check that out on West Elm. I could look for a smaller solid table for between the two chairs - I just thought having something for folks who sit in the chairs to place a glass or something. Maybe mix it up and have one of the end tables be that glass table?
October 2, 2013 at 12:09PM     
Amy Cali
Patrick, what colors would u recommend for the Kilim rug? This rug thing is really throwing me for a loop. I usually get the rug right but can't this time. Carolins I too agree that the sage is not working. I like the ivory/creams best especially against the dark flooring but they are off limits because of pets right? Did I read that on this thread? Could be confusing it with another.
October 2, 2013 at 12:17PM   
jakrey
We do have a pit mix that sheds - dark brown hair. I swiffer our floors every other day and vaccum just as often :)
The rug is something I can purchase after the furniture. I think I can pretty much find something that works. I saw this on Home Decorators - not sure if any of the option would be just right, but they have a silver that might not be too grey and just the right hint of blue.
October 2, 2013 at 12:22PM   
Amy Cali
jakrey Ive got to run out for a bit but i will check in when i get back. Before I go, I do think the glass nesting tables are a very nice contrast with all the woods. If you give me your room dimensions I can play around with furniture layout and show you in 2D and 3D. So we can try to separated the two chairs. ttys
October 2, 2013 at 12:37PM     
carolins
Okay, I'll put in a grey one like the one you saw at homedecorators for you, but first I have to show you this funky option :-)

We have three black labradors, if I don't vacuum every day I'd have a solid black doghair carpet :-D Hair and sand (we have horses and a manege full of sand) are everywhere. Always!
I have a grey wool rug and lots of oriental rugs that hide a multitude of sins. We used to have a synthetic shortish pile rug that cleaned up better than the wool one. So next time I think we'll go back to synthetic for the main living area. More practical.
October 2, 2013 at 12:42PM     
carolins
This looks like a good neutral rug. I looked for synthetic rugs at homedecorators. The ivory overdyed one is a synthetic one too, but maybe too light? http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Cheshire_Rug/810/
October 2, 2013 at 12:49PM   
jakrey
I've taken more pictures of our current room and listed the room dimensions. Please be kind as we moved in less than a month ago after 2 months of renovation - we sold our old furniture and are buying new - hence all my questions :)

Room dimensions: 12.7 feet wide by 21.2 feet length
Short wall with tv: 13.5 feet
October 2, 2013 at 1:24PM   
carolins
And can you post a picture of the TV wall too? Wondering where the door(s) is (are).
October 2, 2013 at 1:53PM   
jakrey
Here are a few other pictures showing other parts of the room.
The 1st phto is the door coming into the house. The door to opening to it's left goes into our dining room.
October 3, 2013 at 4:09AM   
Amy Cali
jakrey, i have the basics of your room done. Just a couple quick questions and we can start building your design.
1. How wide is your fireplace?
2. The corner by your sectional - How far is the window from the corner? (the one across from TV wall)
3. Length of your sectional
Thx
October 3, 2013 at 5:35AM     
Amy Cali
Its not super important but if you could let me know the length of your TV wall from doorway to where it ends before the open stair area that would be helpful. Also, what is the height of your ceiling - 8ft?
October 3, 2013 at 5:37AM   
carolins
I'm thinking whether it would be possible to put the fabric chair on an angle somewhere in the corner where the chaise part of the sectional is? That way it opens up the view towards the fireplace and it breaks up the two chairs.
October 3, 2013 at 6:21AM   
Amy Cali
Does your husband's chair need to face the TV?
October 3, 2013 at 6:32AM   
Amy Cali
wish the chaise was on the other side of the sectional :(
October 3, 2013 at 6:33AM   
carolins
haha... wish the sectional was a sofa... but well... it is not :-)
October 3, 2013 at 6:51AM     
jakrey
The leather chair does need to face the TV. Sadly, the set up of the small sectional was designed that way based on input from the designer I was working with. We used to have a larger sectional where the back of it was facing the fireplace which cut off a large area of more seating possibilities.

The TV wall is about 5.5 feet. I marked off the size of the console under the tv and it's just a touch over 4 feet long. Anything bigger than 50 inches or 55 I think would be too long for that wall.

The length of the sectional is 96 inches.
October 3, 2013 at 8:10AM   
kksmom8
May I ask where you purchased the sectional from?
October 3, 2013 at 8:31AM   
jakrey
We purchased it from a store in Ohio - Sheeley's http://www.sheelys.com/. The brand is Flexsteel. I believe it's from the Vail Collection. It's very comfortable you sink into it :)
October 3, 2013 at 8:57AM   
kksmom8
Thank you!
October 3, 2013 at 9:09AM   
kksmom8
one more question, sorry. Is it fairly deep?
October 3, 2013 at 9:12AM   
Amy Cali
Sorry I took so long. Jakrey I hope you fired that designer! You are so limited with the layout due to the sectional. Hubs chair isn't helping much either haha. Anyway thats probably why you asked for help in the first place. In a perfect world I would have loved to float your furniture off the walls but at last it is what it is and it will be beautiful :) We just have to be very creative with you tables. I also think it would be a good idea to buy another floral chair if its in the budget. Please pay no attention to the finishes below, they are from a limited catalog and I was more concerned with scale.
October 3, 2013 at 9:50AM     
Amy Cali
Jakrey, can the TV move? Prob not it looks like it was just set up and all the wires are in place but thought I'd better not assume.
October 3, 2013 at 9:52AM   
Amy Cali
Oh wait a sec...does the width dimension you gave for the room include the stairs? I just noticed on this pic that it seems like it could.
October 3, 2013 at 10:09AM   
indomom
Nice job, Amy Cali!!
October 3, 2013 at 10:10AM     
Amy Cali
Also please verify the main entrance into the room from the bottom stair to the wall with the front door. It could just be the angle of the above pic but it looks smaller than what I drew.
October 3, 2013 at 10:11AM   
carolins
Lovely idea to put the chairs by the fireplace. Hopefully it is possible :-)
October 3, 2013 at 10:31AM     
Amy Cali
fingers crossed
October 3, 2013 at 10:45AM   
jakrey
I like that layout! Another chair is not in the budget now, but could be next Spring. The dimensions don't include the stairs I stopped measuring the width where they started.

The TV is on that wall as my husband said over the fireplace would be too far away :)

We do spend a lot of time lounging and watching TV and sports. We aren't huge entertainers and when we do have friends over it's mostly to watch Penn State football games.

The tear drop top door is our front door and faces directly into where the stairs begin.

I hope to have room to put some kind of house plant near the front small window (behind the second floral chair to the right) and maybe some smallish tower on the wall opposite the fireplace in the corner. Just somplace to display a few picture frames and white ceramic pieces I've collected.

As for the designer, we are no longer working with her. For the money we spent we should have had all of this mapped out AND she could have gone on our trips to shop for furniture. In the end, I've learned my lesson. I just wish I hasd some of that money back and I could have two floral chairs.

If the second rug is some kind of floral, the large one under the sofa should be more solid then, correct?
October 3, 2013 at 10:49AM     
Amy Cali
Great! So glad you like it. I think it offers the best balance with the pieces you already have and hubs gets his chair and a table front and center :) Lets work on an updated style board next, k? You in Carolins? Hope so :)
October 3, 2013 at 11:00AM   
carolins
Definitely in :-D
October 3, 2013 at 11:32AM   
Amy Cali
jakrey, below please find my concept for your family room. I nicknamed it "young love" LOL. I can see from your choices so far you are some what traditional but I'm also learning you are not at all stuffy. You like to chill, watch football and aren't much for formal entertaining. With that in mind I decided to infuse a little youthfulness into your traditional room. I did so by adding coral into the mix. I used this "pop" of color sparingly and in ways that can be easily changed out should you tire of it. Hope you like it :)
October 3, 2013 at 9:45PM     
jakrey
I really like this! You are spot on with your assessment of our lifestyle. All the renovations we did was based on how we live our life; no kids, a dog who is sometimes allowed on the couch, laid back but we do like to have nice things. We have no formal dining room and watch tv when we eat dinner :)

Where did you find the narrow end table and the blue area rug? I really like the style. And your use of coral was great. Our spare bedroom has a similar color scheme with orange paisley pillows. The tall cabinet to display my collection of white ceramics might be a little too traditional, but I can see how the wood tone works with everything else.
October 4, 2013 at 4:57AM   
Amy Cali
That table is the Darien 14" wide accent table. The nickel pull and leg caps modernize this transitional piece. LOVE IT! It is a little over $300. We could find a knock off for about $100/$150 but will probably loss those cool metal details. Here's the link for you:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Darien-Burnt-Umber-Rectangular-Accent-Table/8016065/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=ULyyJAAAQ87bnlEp:20131004121539:s
October 4, 2013 at 5:19AM   
jakrey
That's not too bad. I may look to see if the shop that has the console table I like carries something similar and still has the great details.

Searching for other options on the bookcase. Is this too over the top color wise? Reviewers say the color is more muted in person. I would buy two and stack them and purchase the mantle top as well.

Found in Home Decorators.
October 4, 2013 at 5:22AM   
Amy Cali
tray top w/ similar look
October 4, 2013 at 5:23AM   
Amy Cali
didn't get the pic of curio/bookcase
October 4, 2013 at 5:24AM   
Amy Cali
have you ever used craigslist or second hand stores? could be a great way to find a quality piece in need of a little TLC. It would be very individual too. My all time fav source for one off pieces is Home Goods. Love that store. My husband cringes every time I go.
October 4, 2013 at 5:26AM   
jakrey
This is a similar look to the one in your collage. Not sure of the price.
http://www.sheelys.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=1352422965&ItemNum=1124-03
October 4, 2013 at 5:33AM   
jakrey
Justa realized the one I just posted is exactly the same as your find! Good to know I can get it at the same store as the console I will be getting.
October 4, 2013 at 5:36AM   
Amy Cali
Ha not only is that similar its from the same line. Good eye! Sheely's has the side table too. http://www.sheelys.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=-449919662&ItemNum=1124-31
October 4, 2013 at 5:38AM   
Amy Cali
Don't be bashful. I'd let them know Overstock's price and ask them to match it especially since you will be making multiple purchases there. I think it retails for $360 but O has it for $320.
October 4, 2013 at 5:40AM   
Amy Cali
Sorry jakrey I'm not too keen on that folding bookcase. I had them in my dorm room years ago. The style is too mission, the quality will not compare with the rest of your furnishings, its too short and the slats on the side will be distracting from the sectional view. You mentioned items that you collect in whites. Are they something that needs protection or can they be in an open bookcase?
October 4, 2013 at 5:43AM   
jakrey
Very true. We have pretty much purchased everything from them. The only drawback is that the furniture, when custom ordered, takes about 6 weeks to come in. But, they are great to work with.
October 4, 2013 at 5:46AM   
jakrey
They can be stored in open book shelf.
October 4, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Amy Cali
I feel that your curio/bookcase would be best if around 72" high. It will add nice symmetry
to your room and help balance out the heaviness of your TV area. So lets search for something about 24 - 26" wide x 16" deep (16 is max, 14 or 12 would be better) x 72" high
October 4, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Amy Cali
nice indomom! My next question for jakrey was....How do you feel about the vintage industrial look? Something like the CB above or a this one:
October 4, 2013 at 6:27AM     
Amy Cali
btw i hate how they styled the above bookcase - yuck! Try to look past all the icky chotskies and think of your white collection all nice and crisp against the reclaimed wood and dark metal.
October 4, 2013 at 6:32AM   
indomom
Like that one a lot, Amy Cali.
October 4, 2013 at 6:34AM     
Amy Cali
Here is a link for the sky blue surya fallon rug. The best price I have found online is at rugshq. I feel confident that after a few trips to homegoods you will luck out and find something similar enough for under $500 possibly $400 even but this one is perfect.
http://www.rugshq.com/surya-fallon-fal-1005-rug.html?chksel=SURYA-FAL1005-8RD&gclid=CITKkqio_bkCFYWd4Aod8CIAqw
October 4, 2013 at 6:48AM     
Amy Cali
Jakrey, what are your plans for window treatments? I'd love to see the texture of brown woven blinds paired with simple long clip top drapes in the grey-blue.
October 4, 2013 at 6:53AM   
jakrey
I do like that industrial look. I've seen a few on Ballard that are nice (but overpriced in my opinion). There are so many other sites that have that look for less. I agree the dark items are not appealing at all.

As for window treatments, you must be reading my mind! I love the look of bamboo looking blinds with simple panels on either side. I would not plan on putting anything on the two small windows on either side of the fire place. But I would like that look on the large window and maybe the two windows on the sofa wall.

Previously we had chestnut colored faux wood blinds in the window - which I'm not sure I want to repeat - even in a white shade.

This is one room design I really like and saw the layered look.
October 4, 2013 at 7:14AM   
October 4, 2013 at 7:16AM     
Amy Cali
Very pretty! The hardware is great too. I was thinking exactly that but with bamboo roman shades in a dark tone to coordinate with your floor. Target offers amazing prices on them if you can do standard sizes its the way to go. Another even lower cost option is a matchstick roller or roman shade. They do not have quite the same presence as the thicker bamboo but they look very pretty. I'd prob add two fabric roman shades to the fireplace windows eventually. Nothing too important right now. We've got better ways to spend your money LOL.
October 4, 2013 at 7:41AM     
Amy Cali
matchstick
October 4, 2013 at 7:41AM     
Amy Cali
fabric roman shade (not this fabric just for the idea)
October 4, 2013 at 7:42AM   
jakrey
Agree about not going real bamboo. I have seen a few things at JCPenny that would work well and they have sales almost weekly on their window treatments.
October 4, 2013 at 9:46AM   
carolins
I'm still following and 'liking' things that I like :-)
October 4, 2013 at 12:50PM     
Amy Cali
Oh forgot to mention that your current table lamps will work fine in the room. I would just change out the shades for a drum shade.
October 4, 2013 at 1:24PM     
carolins
A straight drum shade like this would be a good update for your lamps (Pottery Barn)
October 4, 2013 at 1:38PM     
gypsarella
I'm sorry if I'm repeating what others have said as I didn't read them all. The floor is pretty dark, but has some lighter shades highlighting it that the fireplace picks up in some of the shades of stone. Keep the brown chair with a nice camel throw over the back. Lose the busy blue chair, or recover in camel. With dark brown and camel, you'll need a large picture or area rug to show these colors intertwined with, say a red or blue to brighten the room with pops of color. I'll have to go back and read all the comments when I have more time. Good luck!
October 5, 2013 at 9:45AM   
carolins
How about if you just pull the recliner more towards the sectional, put the floral chair in the corner next to the fireplace, with a floor lamp and a small table to create a little reading corner.
October 5, 2013 at 12:05PM     
jakrey
Carolins - that is a good idea too. I'm torn on what pieces to purchase so right now I'm just reviewing all the great suggestions and plan on making the purchases in the next week or so.
October 5, 2013 at 5:09PM     
Disaster dinning room
Please help!! How can I update my old dinning room...
Animal Print bedroom
Hello! I am designing an animal print bedroom for myself....
I need reupholstering advice
We have an old victorian aged row house that is decorated...
An African Mediterraneaan Look
The project is to integrate an African and Mediterranean...