Kitchen plan
platyna
I would like to hear opinions on functionality of my new kitchen plan. Currently I don't have enough kitchen storage/cabinets and work space. After accepting new plans I'm debating about opening upper wall on the right side of the stove and living lover cabinets only. Any suggestions will be appreciated .
Nest Oak Park
Opening wall to dining room?
And is that a table or island in the space?
September 30, 2013 at 9:31am   
platyna
it is penninsula attatched to cabinets
September 30, 2013 at 9:49am   
Nest Oak Park
That's good...there's more storage there.
It is a bit tight...I would choose a French door fridge. A regular fridge will get in the way when people are sitting on that side of the peninsula.
Are you thinking of opening up the whole wall to the dining room? Or just eliminating upper cabinet?
September 30, 2013 at 10:04am   
Opening the kitchen to the dining room could potentially elminate the need for an eat-in table, which could be put to better use for the kitchen.
September 30, 2013 at 11:28am      Thanked by platyna
Rasmussen Construction
I like all the above ideas to open the space. Maybe a bar top that you could serve on and eat at facing out to the dining room. See the quick sketch below. Come look at our website to see some of the great things we have built and maybe you will find some other good ideas. http://www.dvrasmussen.com
September 30, 2013 at 11:54am        Thanked by platyna
lynnmargaret
I would take out the dining room wall. Place the range on the sink wall between the kitchen sink window and patio doors.(centered) The peninsula can now move into the room and become an island. The fridge can stay where it is but, where the 12" countertop (where peninsula is attached to now...can become a full wall of tall pantry cabinets...say 15-18" deep)
September 30, 2013 at 12:06pm     
platyna
Nest Oak Park ,thank you for your comments ;yes fridge will be french door ,I was thinking about openning only right side of the upper area. if i open whole wall i will loose upper cabinets/storage
Lynnmargaret plan is to attatched penninsula to lower cabinets and to also have upper cabintes as well ,but also thinking about whole wall of cabinets with penninsula ?
September 30, 2013 at 12:23pm   
Nest Oak Park
I'm actually not really sure what you would gain by opening up that space. It's not enough really to make it seem open. If you think it's too heavy, put some open shelving there
But you can have storage in the peninsula as well (cabinets that open to sink wall) Get stools that go under the countertop. That will give you the most freedom of movement and really allow you to use that peninsula for food prep and serving.
September 30, 2013 at 2:52pm   
OnePlan
I like the suggestion that RC came up with - also can't see the need for eating in the kitchen - as the dining room is so close - so I would suggest you make the peninsular into a storage facility with full depth cabinets and maybe even make it into an inverted L shape with full depth cabinets on the left wall also .
September 30, 2013 at 7:29pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
You have two hallway closets....You could turn the one adjacent to the kitchen into a pantry and that would gain you lots of storage space.

The peninsula seems awkward in the middle of the kitchen. Instead of an attached peninsula you might purchase a table that is smaller. I do like the suggestion of making the wall adjacent to the penninsula a full wall of storage.

With all of the storage you can now open some of the wall to the kitchen........However, I would also like to suggest that instead of opening up the wall, you widen the door to a 4 foot opening. This way the door will feel very spacious and the flow between the two rooms will be easy for passage back and forth...........
September 30, 2013 at 9:08pm        Thanked by platyna
platyna
Thank you for all the comments. Lampert i like the idea of 4 foot opening.The closet in the layout was moved from the space where the fridge is. To be precise the design for penninsula is to be table hight and the plan was to make it of some source of wood maybe butcher block? Still awkward ? :(
October 1, 2013 at 5:30am     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
One more comment about the penninsula : if you do a movable table instead of the penninsula, it could be a counter height one with bar stools, it could have wheels and could be used as a moving island for cooking when you are not serving people. There are some available pre-made or your contractor could make one to order. It could easily have a butcher block top. There is so much more flexibility with this type of table. It would be smaller then the proposed penninsula, perhaps 3' x 3'.............you can put a stool on each side and still serve four people.....
October 1, 2013 at 5:37am      Thanked by platyna
Bob Parker
I think it's totally fine! Keep on!
October 1, 2013 at 5:43am      Thanked by platyna
OnePlan
Or maybe open up the closet as a pantry ( great suggestion LDA inc !!) have floor to ceiling narrow cabinets along the left wall and have a peninsular for more worktop and serving space with a stool on the end to 'park someone ' with a glass of wine while you chat / cook - then all eat in the dinning room !
October 1, 2013 at 10:18am      Thanked by platyna
DMH DESIGN
The inside corner by the range is a 'dead corner'. Reconfig. cabts. for LS. Suggest that LDA has a nice idea with the open wall idea. The key to yours is the size of the dining. Would you have the width to have a 1' extended counter into the dining space with 3 stools? Or would it crowd the table too much? We can't make that determination, because we don't have the visual. You may need to keep the informal table as is, but that won't prevent your correcting some of these issues. Happy Houzzing.
October 3, 2013 at 6:51am      Thanked by platyna
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
What are options for a ceiling in a lanai/sunroom? Styles & materials
The sunroom/lanai is 8.5'X13' and is coming off a 1...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Backsplash Hell
My fabricator failed on multiple levels and I do not...
Does anyone know the name of these pavers??
I need to match these pavers.Does anyone know the name/design...