Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma
remidee121
I am doing a full kitchen renovation and am torn between getting high end or custom cabinets or home depot/ikea etc. I personally can't tell the difference but in terms of resale value does it make a difference? It is a high end apt. in NYC if that makes a difference.
Nest Oak Park
I have designed a huge range of kitchens...from Ikea to $100,000+. There is a difference. There are a LOT of choices in between and you can get a great look with Semi Custom cabinets for about the same cost as Ikea. You will benefit from choosing wisely when you go to sell. Choose a style in keeping with your home so a potential buyer will be able to see the flow between rooms. And don't pick any element that screams 2013.
September 30, 2013 at 8:15AM      Thanked by remidee121
bschr
Nest Oak Park, what elements scream 2013? Curious.
September 30, 2013 at 8:25AM   
Nest Oak Park
A lot of "Transitional" accents....some glass tiles...large wooden hoods...
The point would be to design your kitchen to the era of the original structure...especially when considering resale value. If you live in a Queen Anne...you probably shouldn't put in a contemporary kitchen...if you live in a contemporary home, don't put in French Provincial cabinetry. Buyers want to walk into a home and feel as if they don't have to change anything. It is much more calming to move from room to room in a home that has some continuity.
September 30, 2013 at 9:03AM     
halfpint2
I think you must select colors and accents to suit your taste, not that of a potential buyer. That having been said, buying custom cabinets will make it much easier for a potential buyer to just refinish the cabinets rather than replace them, which is a big savings, and could get you more for your apartment.
September 30, 2013 at 9:18AM   
Nest Oak Park
It depends on how long you plan on being in the home. Since you mentioned "Resale Value", I assumed you were not planning on being in your space for the next 20 years.
Anything that is attached to the walls...cabinets and backsplash...should be chosen carefully. Those are big ticket items that can't easily be changed.
I absolutely think you should have your own personality in a home...that can be done with paint choices, artwork and furniture.
September 30, 2013 at 9:50AM   
studio10001
.Your questions suggest that you are an excellent candidate for local design services. Your high end apt. should both look and wear like one, as well as be customized to take every possible advantage of utility and storage options. New Yorkers in general are finely attuned to style nuance and functional luxury - both will make your apt. competitive come resale, and are best attended to by someone who can help you recognize and incorporate such elements into your selections. I will refer you to Scott Design, Inc for a consultation; you can browse through both her portfolio and worthwhile commentary on this site to see why. Best of luck on your project.
September 30, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Kitchen cabinet dilemma
I want to add 12" cabinets-to make my kitchen cabinets...
Kitchen Cabinet Color Dilemma
I recently painted the walls of my kitchen/living room/dining...
Kitchen Cabinet Dilemma
We just removed the kitchen cabinets that were hanging...
oak kitchen cabinet dilemma
I have 1980's medium oak kitchen cabinets that are...
dilemma: choice on kitchen cabinet pull finish
Do I need to match the finish of the door knob with...
Which do you prefer gas or electric stoves?
We were just having a discussion the other day with...
Should i put 6 in granite back splash and glass mosaic?
I am currently remodelling my kitchen and in dilemma...
Exterior Update Immediately
What are some inexpensive ways to update the exterior...
Remodeling L-shaped living/dining to open concept at the lake house.
The fireplace is located at the very end of the room,...
Entrance update
Old ranch house entrance like to update, any idea?