Need help with living room and family room
Anna Ura
We just bought a mid century modern ranch which is much larger than our former house. We need new furniture, rugs, curtains etc to make the place feel more homey. Right now my biggest dilemma is how to make the living room/family room — which are connected via an open floor plan — to look and feel cozier and more user friendly. Since we will be using the family room as more of a living room type space, I am wanting to make the living room into a reading/music listening room. I am hoping to make it feel warm and inviting rather than like a bowling alley, which it currently feels like. We also have no mud room and I wonder if it would make the living room appear too cluttered if we add some built-ins by the front door, a place for coats, bags, shoes etc. I appreciate your ideas!
Nest Oak Park
It's a beautiful space...so many options.
You have enough space there at the entry for some mud room type storage. I assume the music room space would be in front of the fireplace? Using another rug there...and orienting a furniture grouping towards the door/fireplace would set that space apart from the living room.
Will you have a piano?
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 10:25AM
m3459
Anna, what is the width and length of this space? The two big windows, of course, give you your natural division for the two separate areas. You are on the right track. The living is where the fireplace resides and the listening/reading the farthest area? What is in the "L" at the far end, dining? Sorry for all the questions, trying to orient myself in the space.
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 10:37AM
Move all at far end to firepl. Place sofa in front of big window. Add end tables with lamps. Get a area rug with color turquoise color wash. Add coffee table. Put black closer to sofa. With big floor plant to right of it by bookcase. Is TV going in here? If so place on gray metal chest. Center chest. On that wall more. Add big art 40x40 if no TV. Hang 7" above chest top. Put a big plant in pot on firepl heart. Remove bookcase ad big floor mirror. 6 ft in a wide dark frame. Secure in back. Other area looks like it could be a dining area? If so add a 40" round table. You have a mid century look going stay in that look, for art,accessories.google for ideas.add panels,to ends of windows. A black and. White,chevron. keep all windows the same.
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 10:38AM
Why light on edge of firepl.? Show firepl.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:39AM
Instead of end table by sofa and front door go floor lamp. On big wall by front door. A padded bench 5 ft. With big sunburst mirror in gold tones. 45" hang low.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:41AM
I see TV. Add to silver chest. Perfect spot for it. I meant to say above, move black chair closer to sofa. Cabin back withTV. . Put on wall don't angle.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:45AM
What's in back of sofa now? Another room?
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:46AM
Anna - the original layout was probably meant for a living room dining room (around the L) instead of living room / family room. Of course, you can use the spaces any way that works best for your family but scrunching the main uses into the end of the space where a dining table might go will only work well if you have a plan for in front of these windows and fireplace. Leaving this with furniture lined up on the side walls makes it feel longer and narrower.

You would do better to designate an entry area with a pedestal table that you can stack books on and some rolling library chairs smack in the center of the space before the fire. Since the fireplace is not well situated vis a vis the room, you might as well let it be in "the entry" with a reading table and some straight chairs and let your room "start" further down.

On the wall behind your open door, use a modular system of storage that is one of the nicer entry hall pieces since this is your primary entry. http://www.plowhearth.com/mixand%2345%3bandand%2345%3bmatch-modular-mudroom_p418632_s2001_d3083_c3093.html for instance - with a bench, and so forth. Pottery barn has others, you can shop the net.

Then, to signal you are making a transition to a seating area - turn your largest sofa perpendicular to the length of the room / with its back to the door and use a narrow console table behind it with twin lamps and a center table sculpture to visually screen / separate the entry fire area from the conversation and media sitting areas. The chair and locker cabinet you have now should be integrated into the seating grouping area.

A room that can't be closed off away from media isn't really the best for music and reading, but music and reading spaces integrated into an open plan do make sense. You can be in charge of when the tv is on and make time for music. A lot depends on if someone is regularly playing instruments or if you just want to listen to music.

You will need to hang drapery panels to add softness and and buy some large rugs for each grouping. You need a designer, really - are you in SoCal? I can help you with a color story and to help you make the space coherent and welcoming.
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 11:25AM
Anna Ura
I am in Boise, but I so appreciate your feedback. There are some really good ideas in here. Thank you for taking the time.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:49PM
Anna Ura
In response to some of the questions asked, there is a separate dining area not pictured here. It's on the other side of the wall that the fireplace is in. The room when you walk into the house has been called the living room, but really it's an awkward space as you cannot properly face the fire[place or the windows without negating the other. Back behind the couch/coffee table is more space which will function as my office and leads to the washer/dryer and the kitchen. I can include more pictures if it's helpful.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:53PM
Anna Ura
And the light is on the fireplace only temporarily as we have no ceiling lights installed yet.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 1:53PM
Nest Oak Park
You can easily make two seating spaces in that room. You have some nice pieces...I'm sure you can accumulate some more MCM
This is a music room I did for a client that incorporates MCM with more traditional and vintage pieces.
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 4:32PM
Try back to back sofas for two seating groups.

0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 7:00PM
catherinek708
This may sound crazy! But, if it were my home, I think I would mirror the wall next to the door to exaggerate the length!

In keeping with the mid century style you could use two freestanding see through room dividers.
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 7:27PM
catherinek708
Here's a nice plan!
1 Like   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 7:36PM
catherinek708
This is very nice too
1 Like   Thanked by Anna Ura    September 30, 2013 at 7:51PM
applecandi
Area rugs would help you decide furniture placement.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 6:11PM
bryght.com
I think the Ceni 4 piece lounge set with coordinating TV console from Bryght would look really great in your living area
http://www.bryght.com/set/100/ceni-4-piece-lounge-set http://www.bryght.com/product/94/ceni-cocoa-tv-unit
0 Likes   Thanked by Anna Ura    October 1, 2013 at 7:59PM
Anna Ura
That set is beautiful. Thanks for the tip.
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:33AM
need help divididing grand room to living room an family room
At the moment I have one extra large living room and...
Need help with living room/family room
Suggestion please on how to pull this living room/family...
Really need help with this family room/living room
I'm attaching a few pictures of this room, it's separated...
Need help with family room/living room
I want to paint a red accent wall. I found Stable Hay...
Need help with hardwood floors
I live in mid century home with hardwood floors. Installing...
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
We just purchased a large dark grey sectional sofa...
New Design
I have a solid natural oak coloured kitchen which I...