Furnishing New Family Room - Too much couch?
vch343
We are trying to furnish our family room. The dimensions of the room are 17'7" x 16'1". As you can see the attached picture, there is 1 solid wall, the wall with the fireplace and windows (the tv will go above the fireplace), the wall with the big windows, and a half wall along the back that comes out 8.5 feet from the window wall. We have found reclining sofas that we want and are considering the layout in the attached diagram - 2 couches and 1 loveseat. Is there too much couch? Or do you think this will look okay? There would be about 8'10" between the two big couches. We have considered replacing one of the couches with chairs, but for various reasons, aren't too keen on this idea. I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thanks!
Pure Home
Wow! What a gorgeous living room. Love the fireplace and all that natural light and oh the hardwood floors!!

Honestly, you have plenty of room! Perhaps switch out the love seat to two lounge chairs. Otherwise, you are on the right track. I see the fireplace is plumbed for a flat screen?

Would love to see 'after' photos when you finish!

Warm regards,

Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 9:54AM
Rina
My inexpert opinion is that this space can handle the configuration you want. It's a beautiful room, with all those deep windows. I would just love to see it when you have sorted it out.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 9:58AM
Debp
Beautiful room!! Enjoy!
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:02AM
Great windows. Don't over cover them. Why not go a sectional? Yeas I think that many big sofas will look like a hotel lobby. Float sect in center of rm, facing TV. L shape, facing big windows, or right return. Add Swivel chairs looking at big wall. Roman shades in white with dark gray border. on smaller windows. Nothing on big one. Area rug 8 x 10 silver shag. centered in front of sect. Either a big. 36" coffee table or. Same ottoman. Sect. dark gray micro. Chairs in gray and yellow print. On long wall a very long 6ft, buffet, in reclaimed wood. Big 40x40 oil art over it. Contemporary . In grays, yellows, black. No frame. Use silver accessories. Add very big lamps on each end of buffet. In silver, with black shades. Use the room don't put all furn at one end. Enjoy.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:08AM
Add a palm in each corner by small windows. Love the floors.
0 Likes   September 30, 2013 at 10:09AM
vch343
Thank you all for your feedback! We have decided that while the room is big enough for 2 couches and 1 loveseat, all that gray is a bit much. travisinteriors, thank you for your beautiful description! I can definitely picture it, but we are trying to work with the reclining sofa/loveseat that we already have our heart set on. We also prefer to accent with a deep red vs. yellow. That being said, we continue to brainstorm layouts. Attached are diagrams of our latest idea - we've added the details of where are speakers and entertainment center will be (we cannot move them from these positions). Other layouts we've tried but decided against include:
- 3 loveseats (in the position of the 3 pieces of furniture in the attached diagram) - too much gray
- 1 loveseat against the wall, 1 loveseat facing the tv, and 1 chaise along the window wall (this one had potential but I really want at least 1 couch)
- considered putting 1 couch facing tv, but it would block too much of the entryway

I definitely want at least 1 couch in the room, but it seems like we can only fit it on the window wall. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new layout and also any other ideas you may have. Thank you!
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:26AM
I would suggest the loveseat you love, one couch and two swivel chairs for a more flexible re-arrangeable space. Sofa on the wall, love facing TV and the pair of chairs in front of the window with a table between, leaving the view more open that a sofa would do. Coffee table for the love and end tables for the sofa so everyone has a place for coffee, drinks, etc. This will reduce the bulkiness of all the sofas and provide a more open feeling. It won't take much to begin to feel cramped with multiple sofas. Your layouts don't include tables, which will take up footprint too.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:34AM
I'm not a fan of reclining sofas, so my advice would be an L shaped sectional with one side against the bare wall and the other facing the TV/fireplace. Then you could add a large ottoman for a coffee table and couple of individual arm chairs (not too large) facing the sectional.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:40AM
Hey, feeny! Where ya been? Haven't seen you lately!
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 4:53PM
Hey deco--I pop in and out! ;-)
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 5:04PM
feeny, you don’t pop in and out of Cape Cod.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 5:08PM
Looks great, in your mock-up, but those sofas have to have room to recline.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 5:09PM
family room too busy beause of shutters. How to furnish?
Many windows. All covered with shutters. How can I...
I need a new couch for my family room
my husband has a dark oaky color leather recliner which...
Family Room - Need Help Decorating/Furnishing this Family Room
The room is a light gray color with white trim, hardwood...
New carpet tiles in the kitchen too different from other furnishings?
My husband and I ordered some Flor tiles for our oddly...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Mismatched stain and windows
We have an older home and have remodeled many times,...
Year long counter top indecison. Help!
I've waited a year for counters, using plywood with...
adding laminate wood floor to adjacent room with hardwood
I'm trying to find a laminate wood look floor that...
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...