NEED BEDROOM HELP
mcbs1961
There is a big ugly fireplace in this room and I don't like the wall color, the windows all look out onto a pool, there is a bathoom behind the wall where the bed sits, any ideas or help would be great.
You have to paint. No faux painting. Your furn is big. Are you getting new? If so let's go from there. Looks like you are not using the whole room. Can we see more pics of it.
September 30, 2013 at 10:25am      Thanked by mcbs1961
Granite Grannies
That's a nice size bedroom you have there! What about painting it a soft blue? As for the fireplace, have you considered having a stone surround put on it? A granite, soapstone, or quartzite stone would really elevate the look of it. Good luck!

Parkwood Road Residence Master Bedroom

Taj Mahal Quartzite Fireplace Surround
September 30, 2013 at 10:28am     
Eagledzines
Could you post more pictures of your room?
September 30, 2013 at 10:39am      Thanked by mcbs1961
I can just see the hearth with some pale gray stone on it in the corner of your photo. First we need to evaluate the fireplace and what you don't like about it. It may just look ugly because of the walls and if the walls were properly painted with a color combination that works with your wood tones, you might like it fine. We need more pictures to really help but we will all agree that the walls need paint - the old faux finish on them really dates this room. The white ceiling fan is also lowest common denominator - even if you want to keep a fan, there are a lot more handsome choices.

Your bed and end table are a rich caramel wood tone, while the media center is a lighter pine. You may want to contemplate painting the media furniture / having it refinished in black so it reads neutral. If you have a lot of light in the room, you might consider what a deeper gray on the walls - like a flannel gray - to help it feel more like a cocoon. The light gray stone on the fireplace will harmonize but become more of a focal point. Something like sw web gray on the walls. . . . sw bohemian black on your media cabinet. Then, you need the mid-tone in your bedding and drapery - something like http://www.potterybarn.com/products/alessandra-duvet-cover-sham-gray/?pkey=cneutral&cm_src=neutral||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
or, better yet, with the dramatic backdrop, go to warm tones on your bedding to harmonize with the caramel wood, http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sammie-tile-duvet-cover-sham-wheat/?pkey=cneutral&cm_src=neutral||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

The art you have over your bed is overpowering on that wall height. You would do better with that elsewhere - the dark wood frame and size isn't right for that space.
September 30, 2013 at 11:48am      Thanked by mcbs1961
mcbs1961
here are more pics
September 30, 2013 at 11:53am   
maureenb93
You have a fabulous space. I am a newbie, but I plan to watch with anticipation and see what some of these amazing people suggest for you to try. Please do keep the thread going by posting pics of progress as you begin to make changes.

One thing I would love to see is a cozy sitting area in front of those windows. Two club chairs, with a small table between them? Add a throw, and a basket of all the magazines you have been meaning to get to, and voila! You could sit and read there in all that wonderful light in the day, and cozy up with a book or watch a movie in the evening.

I will check back. I know your room will turn out amazing!
September 30, 2013 at 12:03pm   
Debp
Definitely the first thing is to paint the walls. I would choose a color from your fireplace. It will look so much better when the faux finishing is gone. Beautiful room.
September 30, 2013 at 12:03pm   
mcbs1961
i want to take down the rock on the fireplace and sheet rock and paint I think the rock facing the front of fireplace is just too much for too heavu for the room.
September 30, 2013 at 12:07pm   
Eagledzines
What about minimizing the hearth to floor height?
September 30, 2013 at 12:16pm   
mcbs1961
no i want ot take the rock down I just don't like it
September 30, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Eagledzines
I mean in addition to taking it down. Or are you saying it want it to entirely disappear? If you have a fireplace at all there, it is code that there has to be some sort of a hearth even if it's floor level.
September 30, 2013 at 12:27pm      Thanked by mcbs1961
You don't take it down. You cover it with rock / stone / stone tile that you do like. You need to search fireplaces on houzz and make an idea book of the ones you like the most, then come back so we can see your style preferences and can help you more.
October 2, 2013 at 1:37am        Thanked by mcbs1961
mcbs1961
I really apperciate everyone's suggestions The rock to me is just too heavy for the room. I would like to take it down and put up some type of flat stone around it and have the hearth on the floor and not build up as a ledge like it is currently. The furniture in the house is not mine it is the current owners we close tomorrow.
October 7, 2013 at 9:50am   
Eagledzines
It will look great minimized. Go with your gut. Congratulations on your new home!
October 7, 2013 at 9:53am   
Tile size for large shower
We've chosen a wood tile for our master bathroom remodel....
Kitchen backsplash
White glazed cabinets with silestone muddy countertop...
I need help with an original design for this Foyer
Because the client doesn't want a center table and...
what color to paint exterior wood fence
House is beige. Trim is off white. Need to paint fence...
Type of style?
I'm trying to redo my bedroom and I really like this...