Super excited first time homebuyer in serious need of design advice!
Nick Ruta
Me and my wife are so excited to be finally moving into a tiny home that we can finally call our own! We've severely outgrown our apartment and my son would really be happy to stop sleeping in his sisters pink room:) really happy the house has a nice size living room ,dining room ,and kitchen for us to tweak, improve and make our own. Our style is modern clean with some vintage and industrial touches throughout. We need help in four areas, living room ,dining room ,kitchen ,and basement so I will post them separately room by room. Looking for color choices lighting options even furniture. Also design ideas to help best use the limited space and also make things feel bigger rather than smaller. Definitely don't have the deepest pockets so prices need to be modest at best. I'm splurging on some things because I feel it makes the difference. First room up dining room i'll supply some pictures see if you guys have any creative ideas!! My mother makes curtains so I have a great hook up in that area so I can choose custom fabric and have her make some nice curtains. My wife also came up with a good idea to replace two of the side chairs that face out of the room in the dining room with a bench it gives an extra seat it also alleviates some claustrophobia in the traffic area and really helps with a small rooms feng shui. So we're probably going with nice curtains and a bench with matching upholstery to tie the room together but no clue on color scheme or fabric yet. I appreciate any help or advice you guys can give
Liza Jane Interiors
Nick, congratulations on your new home. First things first...I would swap out the draperies for something more neutral and modern (no checks!) I would hang the drapes all the way to the ceiling....this will give the illusion of taller ceilings. I would replace the ceiling fixture with a hanging chandelier. I like the idea of a bench...I also like the idea of swapping out the captains chairs for upholstered ones. I would remove the tall lamp in the back...scale is wrong. Regarding color...do you plan to keep the rug that is in there?
September 30, 2013 at 11:59am        Thanked by Nick Ruta
rawketgrl
With your style being "modern clean with some vintage and industrial touches" I would pick a nice neutral greige wall color with white trim throughout home. That will be a great starting point. Perhaps BM Revere Pewter
Revere Pewter HC-172 Paint

Your current furniture is great but is not modern. Curious as to what you are keeping and what is going? Also please include your color palette preferences.

Here are a few pics to get you started...
[houzz=Atherton, CA New Home Construction]
[houzz=Franklin Turnpike Residence]
[houzz=Boulder Modern Courtyard Home]
September 30, 2013 at 12:22pm      Thanked by Nick Ruta
Congratulations on your new home. Since you are on a tight budget and you have many areas for us to consider, is it possible for you to put all the pictures in your own ideabook for our reference?
September 30, 2013 at 12:30pm      Thanked by Nick Ruta
Nick Ruta
libradesigneye YES ! absolutely ill get that done
September 30, 2013 at 1:13pm   
Nick Ruta
Liza Jane Great advice! will do the curtains ceiling to floor ! Also nothing in that room is ours its alllllll a blank slate! So none of the things in the picture represent our vision..
September 30, 2013 at 1:15pm   
Nick Ruta
rawketgrl thank you as well love the way your going with those looks that us me and my wife are 28 with two munchkins. So we want something new crisp and focused but not so crazy that we cant sell the house . and sidenote is there a way i can respond to you guys better than typing your names on top? am i missing something?
September 30, 2013 at 1:18pm   
Nick Ruta
this is the look i love with the bench at the table, have the bench fabric match the drapes exactly! I think it will bring the room together. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690997&categoryId=cat1701013
September 30, 2013 at 1:22pm   
Nick Ruta
wait haha thats the light that i love! that's the style I want although correct me if im wrong this is waaaaaay to big for a room with a 8.17 foot ceiling. But im in love with this light, i feel it makes a statement but doesn't physically reach out like other style chandeliers and its compact nature helps the room feel bigger?? Thats my thought rather than a big outstretching chandelier smothering the size of the airspace further inducing claustrophobia. Shoot me down if im wrong these are where im leaning but have no design backround.
September 30, 2013 at 1:26pm   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I think your furniture is great! You can easily update it without spending too much (especially since your mom makes curtains!). I suggest grey with a green undertone with some lively green as an accent. Reupholster the chairs (green fabric) and as suggested change the curtains (flower print). It would be much more stylish if you compliment the fabrics without matching them perfectly. Replace the two end chairs with some like these from IKEA.
September 30, 2013 at 1:52pm        Thanked by Nick Ruta
Nick Ruta
nice compliment rather than match i like it!
September 30, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I saw the chandelier you like but I'm finding it very formal. I suggest bringing in some washed out silver to update the furniture. Here's a modern twist on a chandelier - with an industrial feel. A sisal rug with a simple pattern would let all the other furnishings stand out. Remove all the wall decor and just put a mirror over the sideboard with a lamp. The design of this mirror and the mercury glass also tie in the industrial feel of the chandelier. I also suggest removing the smaller table in the corner.
September 30, 2013 at 2:06pm      Thanked by Nick Ruta
nick - i want to spend more time because I am so delighted by the charm of your photos (tho I want to help you correct the glass front doors they chose are wrong for your vintage of home) but I've got the painted woodwork, the birchwood cabinets, the heart pine floors.

Would you say generally, that you guys lean in your art and accents more towards autumn colors (rust, gold, green, red) or water (blues, blue-greens) or neutrals (gray or camel based). Also, what is your primary upholstered furniture now?
October 1, 2013 at 9:39am     
Nick Ruta
I love autumn colors more warm cozy feeling but I'm more open to anything. The house is a completely blank slate these pictures were of the sellers furniture and decorations everything will have to be bought. Maybe a bit slowly but I want to put together a really nice home and look.
October 1, 2013 at 9:52am     
With the warmth of the pine floors and the birch tones in the kitchen, I think you will be happiest to start by painting everything out different shades of the same neutral hue - so your rooms have the traditional feel that comes from each room feeling unique, but the house will seem so much bigger, lighter, and the flow will be amazing and feel expensive. You will then have a little room to experiment with fabric / color and move things around as you figure it out. All your rooms peek a little into the next though and right now it seems overly dark and choppy.

I think this proven series has the right undertone. See http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6121-whole-wheat/ Whole wheat is the shade I would put in the living room, Baguette - two shades down in the dining room, and believable buff - one shade up in the kitchen. If your wife 'LUVS' the dark walls in the kitchen, then use the one darker than the dining room - cardboard. Use the lightest one, believeable buff in the hall, in the bath, in the kids rooms. (we can add favorite colors in rugby stripe or girly stencil accents on top later easily - its a neutral!)

To make sure we've selected the right undertone, you will want to test / hold a swatch next to the birch cabinets and drop all the different paint chips onto the wood floor to see if you think "harmony" (ignore the kitchen floor) when you see them against it. Look at them in morning, afternoon, evening and artificial light against the cabinet / against the floor.

Your bedroom should be the anomaly in the sea of creams and camels - it needs calm and drama all at the same time. Here's a natural green that I think is the perfect backdrop for so many different looks - sw green earth http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7748-green-earth/

I'd put one coat of glossy dover white over all your trim so all the undertones work together. Everything else, eggshell unless you want to use a semi-gloss on the darker dining room walls for that sense of reflection at night with the future chandelier.

Since you have a built in seamstress, let's find drapery fabrics to set your color palette from here - I'll be back in a day or two to show you different options for different rooms with your preference for a warm / autumn color palette in mind. Then we will be able to select primary upholstery color ranges so you can go shopping for your main sofa / armchair / ottoman - if you have things that you can recover that would be meaningful to you / useful / will be placed in living dining for now, time to start discussing those.
October 2, 2013 at 12:15am     
Nick Ruta
Wow thanks!
October 2, 2013 at 5:39am     
Amy Cali
libra you are a rockstar!! awesome advice, im bookmarking this baby so i can see what you come up with
October 2, 2013 at 5:49am   
Here's one color / fabric palette for your consideration based on a kind of fun use of color that will invoke vintage style but be fresh and versatile. Thanks Amy for your kind words.

This is the living room pillow / color story inspiration: http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=68&productID=9126&pStart=0&recNum=33
(imagine this on accent pillows - it isn't going to take over your room)
On the windows in the kitchen as a top box pleat valance http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=68&productID=7754&pStart=200&recNum=365
On the bench cushion and side chair seats of the painted hand-me-down / craigslist wood chairs at your dining room table - the coordinating strip http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fpage=1&productid=7432&storeid=39
On the head armchairs at the dining room table as a washable slipcover w/ back ties http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fpage=1&productid=7216&storeid=39
and as secondary pillows for the living room sofa.

These tones of soft green, peacock blue, rust, gold, orange, and cream then get used in different ways. In the kitchen, besides the valance, buy some orange dreamsickle bowls and pitchers and let that be the fun pop of color - a bowl of fruit. I'm seeing a honey toned slipcovered sofa for under the pillows, soft green chairs and a saddle toned leather ottoman / coffee table with the deeper caramel tones that head towards rust. The ottoman would be the big splurge to get the saddle tones right. All these pieces and walls would work in the future with new fabrics and colors
October 2, 2013 at 8:57am     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Just my two cents.....the patterns and colours suggested aren't very "modern clean with some vintage and industrial touches" as Nick stated in his design dilemma as his preferred style. They seem much more traditional to me.
October 2, 2013 at 9:27am     
I see your point, but I'll raise you - this combination of colors is very modern, the tones are bright rather than traditional and the combination of orange, red-orange, lime and blue-green is definitely not traditional. There is a more formal traditional floral buried in past the zigzag stripe to work with the azure here, but that is about it - I was aiming at the vintage / modern blend - for modern clean you have to pick out the right furniture - that isn't conveyed by a pillow or a chair covering. PS - I like your fabrics too -
October 2, 2013 at 10:01am     
Listen, fabrics and colors really are very personal. I like to start with prints because they carry a whole color story and then you can build a house around them that flows - you'll find the right answers, and you want to start somewhere. Here are the kind of modern neutral sofa elements that you can start with one or two pieces and build on it - look at the slubby linen in flax http://www.westelm.com/products/crosby-2-piece-chaise-sectional-h067/?pkey=csectionals&cm_src=sectionals||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
October 2, 2013 at 10:05pm   
Galilee Lighting
Congratulations on your new house! Here are some lighting ideas...you are invited to visit www.GALILEELIGHTING.com for many more beautiful designs.
to receive our catalog and price list by email contact: Sales@GalileeLighting.com
or call 305-807-8711
October 3, 2013 at 10:02am     
First Time Homebuyers; Need Budget Kitchen Help!
Hello! My husband and I are buying our first home and...
First Time Poster: Need advice on furniture layout, or replacements!
Purpose of Room: Conversation Room and Family Area. What...
First time home owners- need advice!
We are about to move and need help with wall color...
Advice needed for first-time homeowner's living room...
Hi all, I just bought my first house and am not used...
Furniture placement
Hi, I have a room in the house which I'd like to make...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
How can we minimize this door?
We'd like to cover this wall and the cabinets beneath...
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...
Sunroom help
We are moving into a home with an amazing sunroom....