Where to place door
Bernice Burnside
We are knocking through part of a wall into another room and fitting a sliding door so that when we want to open up or close the space we can. It's part of a kitchen/ dining/ sitting room renovation and the room the other side of the wall is a large sitting room. The side side you see in the picture is part of a large open plan kitchen diner (dining table to be placed in photographed space). I don't know yet where we should place the door or how wide it should be. The wall is 3.5 metres on the kitchen/ dining room side and we are thinking of placing it to the very left end of this wall up to where the red line in the photo is. Anyone have any advice of suggestions?
OnePlan
Hi Bernice - the space by the brown doors needs to be relatively clear for door access - so as the door through as the new opening will also require clearance - that might be a better place to put it ( ie nearer the outside door )
If you do a sketch plan of this room and the living room on the other side of the wall - with how you propose to have your furniture in both rooms - this will help locate the best place .
With the info given at the moment - I would say the best place is close to the French doors . And as for size - well for aesthetics - I would echo the French door size ! ( so will need quite a big pocket door hidden in the wall !!)
Looks like a fun project ! I have the same toaster and kettle set as you !! I really hope that you aren't having to cope with no kitchen for long ?!?! :-)
October 2, 2013 at 12:20am   
Bernice Burnside
Thanks a million for the input. I agree - it's probably best put on the left of the wall near the patio doors. We're thinking of a single 1200 wide door. I'm now trying to decide whether to build a pocket wall to hide the door in or get a really nice door and let it slide onto the wall to create a feature? My builder also thinks a big opening without a door at all would work. Decisions, decisions!
October 2, 2013 at 1:39am     
Bernice Burnside
Ps- temp kitchen has been set up and new kitchen will be ready in 2 weeks so it's not too much of a nightmare!
October 2, 2013 at 1:41am     
OnePlan

That's a relief !! Was hoping you weren't having to prepare meals in there !! Added a pic of a sliding door that sits as a feature on the wall ?!?!
October 2, 2013 at 4:45am      Thanked by Bernice Burnside
Bernice Burnside
Your pic has inspired a solution which not only should look great but brings down the original budget by 800 euro! Thanks for that. Will post a few pics as it progresses.
October 5, 2013 at 3:32am   
I am building a new home
I have chosen oil-rubbed bronze hinges and knobs for...
Pallaidan Window (House built 1994)
I would like to get rid of my palladian windows, add...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Living Room: Something is Missing...
Just moved from a 1BR apt to a 3 bedroom house. I am...