Need help for budget kitchen refurbishment
Marcelle Sutton
September 30, 2013 in Before & After
Hi, I am planning to refurbish my kitchen which I have not touched since i moved in 10 years ago I want to replace the benchtop, splash back, floors, repaint (ceiling and walls throughout house) and possibly replacing the microwave shelf unit for something more stylish. Thus far I am considering black granite for the benchtop and a wood look timber laminate for the floor. I thought I might use a whitish subway tile for the splashback with maybe a thin black horizonatal stripe tile running through it midway. It has been suggested to me that I should paint the rafters and ceiling white - (they are currently green in the kitchen and brown in the lounge) any ideas? I am not very good at all this, so any advice would be welcome. I do think that just a few changes could make quite a transformation, though.
Granite Transformations
I like the idea of the wood flooring. Any chance you could sand the rafters down and stain them to match?

As for the paint color, I'd recommend Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.

I think our Nero Stella granite would look great in your kitchen, along with our diamond subway tiles. You can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/
tiles.

Good luck with your project, hope this helps!
   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 2:54PM
Maguire
I'm in the USA, I mention it because I don't think you are. We call bench tops and splash backs, counter tops and backsplash. Might be differences in current tastes, styles. I like your idea of a subway tile, simple and clean, but not crazy about the black stripe. That's come in fashion and is out now here.
I'd paint your rafters all a dark brown unless you hate them and want them to disappear, then go with the ceiling color. I really like your beams and high ceilings.
Do you like your current kitchen layout? It looks like a nice work triangle but if you remove the shelves to the left of the hood you could install upper cabinets on both sides of it with a microwave built-in the corner (See photos. I can't tell from the pictures if the window will be in the way). Uppers on the left side of the sink too, you need the storage. Your hood looks high but that could be your areas standards.
Run your laminate floor through the den too. A smooth, light colored surface like granite or soapstone would look great with the subway tiles. Wait to pick out paint until you decide on cabinet and countertop colors.
Farmhouse kitchen
View of main working area
   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 3:00PM
Marcelle Sutton
Thank you, I would agree about the rafters, however, sanding them would be too much effort and they are very high, I am also concerned about painting them white because the kitchen might lose all it s character...so, still something to think about
   September 30, 2013 at 3:02PM
Marcelle Sutton
Thanks, like the idea about putting cabinets on each side of the hood. Yes, we live in New Zealand, when we lived in South Africa we called them counter tops too. Maybe painting the rafters brown would be the answer, pity to lose the natural wood shine though. I worry that painting them white would make the kitchen look sterile
   September 30, 2013 at 3:06PM
hazeldazel
I really love your rafters - they give so much character to your home! I have post and beam ceilings and I (although a lower slope) and I totally get why you wouldn't want to paint everything the same. I would just go with your original thought to paint the walls and the rest of the ceiling a lightish color and you'll still have a bright, fresh look. I like the idea of white subway tile but I wouldn't do a dark horizontal line because I think it would fight with the sloping rafters. What I would do is to take down the three-shelf cabinet and the microwave cabinet and the little spice shelf and put in cabinets on either side of the hood. You can put the micro in one of the upper cabs or put in one of the under cabinets. BTW, your under cabinets are soooo cute and adorably retro. I love them! If you put upper cabs on either side of the hood, I would put the subway tile all the way up to the bottom of the upper cabs and to the bottom of the hood. I think it would look very cohesive, pretty and you'll have more storage to boot.
1 Like   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 3:14PM
Maguire
Just paint the green rafters the same brown as the lounge. Don't do it yourself!
Love your diamond patterned glass on the pantry. Would look great to duplicate that glass in the upper cabinets on either side of the hood. On the top picture I posted, the cabinet on the far left with the cubby underneath is a feature you could use in the same place in your kitchen.
1 Like   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 3:19PM
Marcelle Sutton
That is an idea, thanks. I will have to see if it is still possible to get the diamoned patterned glass - this kitchen will be quite a few years old already, but no harm in trying.
   September 30, 2013 at 3:30PM
Marcelle Sutton
Thanks, Hazel, I think you are right about the black stripe, might keep my tiling very simple and neutral
1 Like   September 30, 2013 at 3:31PM
hazeldazel
You know, Maguire has a good point with the distinctive diamond pattern on the pantry. What about 4x4 tile in a diamond pattern for the splash back instead of subway? In white with a light gray grout? Inexpensive and could really tie everything together.
   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 3:55PM
Marcelle Sutton
I agree Hazel, I like Maguires idea, and I can visualise two slender tall cabinets on either side of the hood, one against the microwave cabinet and one alongside the door. each as high as the microwave cabinet
   September 30, 2013 at 4:08PM
MLX Development
I think if you changed out the tops and updated the pulls you would see a transformation. If your cabinets are "white white" you might want to consider painting them a different color. BM White Dove or Grey
2 Likes   Thanked by Marcelle Sutton    September 30, 2013 at 6:08PM
Need Help with Recommended Breakdown for kitchen remodel budget
Long story short, we had a dishwasher leak that damaged...
Kitchen Remodeling for $5000 budget- need help
Our house was built in 1954, kitchen is big with dark...
Need help for kitchen update on a budget
We have a contemporary floor plan with a kitchen that...
Change/Modernize kitchen ideas help on a budget neede!
Hello Houzzers! We moved in this current house over...
Need help with my kitchen and on a budget!
Just bought our home 18 months ago and realized after...
I need help in bathroom faucets please! !
HELP PLEASE! !I am renovating bathroom and not sure...
Need help with living room
Looking for help with a new living room colour and...
chairs??????
How much are Cortez old world Dining chairs and how...
Is it alright to repeat same light fixture collection throughout home
Have used Minka Lavery 1730 Series Collection (pleated,...