Backsplash Help - Is this too different?
rrwahle
We are installing White Shaker perimeter cabinets, dark island, and Cambria Newport (white) countertop in a transitional, Midwestern, suburban home, circa 1995. Seems like rectangular glass or subway tile is everywhere. Hubby like the straight lines, but I was thinking maybe do something a little different. Do you think this shape (Walker Zanger Julia Mosaic in Fog Gloss) is a good choice, or will it look out of place? Have not seen any photos of this installed. Should we stay safe with rectangles or be bold with a shaped tile? Thanks for any advice...selecting all finishes is exciting, but STRESSFUL for decision-impaired people like me! Renee
Granite Transformations
It's a cool looking tile for sure. I think our diamond subway tile and liberty tile could be a great option as well. You can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/liberty/

Good luck, hope this helps!
September 30, 2013 at 2:57PM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Thank you Granite Transformations. That diamond subway tile is very pretty. Will think about!
September 30, 2013 at 3:04PM   
indomom
I almost always vote for bold, but wait for a real designer to weigh in :-)
September 30, 2013 at 3:04PM      Thanked by rrwahle
indomom
That diamond subway tile IS bold and very different from the one you posted. Is the kitchen open to any other part of the house?
September 30, 2013 at 3:06PM   
Is that a pic of your granite color? If so the above backsplash would be fine. But does it come in other colors? There isn't any contrast from counter. What are is Wall colors, do you have a accent color in other rooms? Can we see pic of kitchen, where it will go.
September 30, 2013 at 3:15PM      Thanked by rrwahle
PatioProductions
I think it is a classy choice. The color is neutral but the design makes a statement. I like it!
September 30, 2013 at 3:18PM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Travisinteriors, that is the quartz counter. It is actually fairly bright white and the tile is a warm gray color. Was planning BM Revere Pewter for walls in kitchen and rest of first floor. it is semi-open floor plan. Have not choosen an accent color yet. Kitchen is not started yet, so cannot show pics. Thanks!.
September 30, 2013 at 3:30PM   
m3459
I love it! Classic backsplash with a twist.
September 30, 2013 at 3:42PM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Thanks to indomom, patio productions and m3459 for encouragement. When I see the tile I love it, too. Just full of self-doubt for bucking the straight-lines. But I am hopeful it will give my kitchen some texture and pop, while keeping neutral tones for dressing up with accessories.
September 30, 2013 at 4:10PM     
linlac
Here's some similar tiles.
September 30, 2013 at 4:24PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Amy Cali
Its great. I'd go for it!
September 30, 2013 at 4:34PM        Thanked by rrwahle
It loks beige in pic I see. If gray go for it. Pewter will. Be great.
September 30, 2013 at 5:07PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Arley
LOVE IT!

My girlfriend did Walker Zanger in almost the exact pattern. It is STUNNING.

I like white on white. Contrast works too, but just look on Houzz, there are thousands of all white, or all cream kitchens. I like the how the neutral palette allows you to do anything. No matter what color you would like to add for contrast, you can do it in the accessories that are easy to change.

I think the neutral color is very safe, and the new contour adds just enough interest.
September 30, 2013 at 5:29PM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
You are right, the pic appears beige, but is actually gray. The Colors look much better in person. Thanks!
September 30, 2013 at 5:32PM   
rrwahle
Thanks, Arley!
September 30, 2013 at 5:45PM   
laurav507
Awesome choice. Go for it!
September 30, 2013 at 5:53PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Judy M
Love the arabesque tile! Go for it!
September 30, 2013 at 5:53PM      Thanked by rrwahle
Vered Rosen Design
I think it's unique and pretty, just make sure the colors work together, meaning that the tile and counter top have similar undertones
September 30, 2013 at 5:59PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Arley
Good Point! Those undertones get you every time!
September 30, 2013 at 9:12PM     
catieb
Just installed the blue-green-grey version of this in a kitchen with pale grey cabinets and black soapstone countertops. It MADE the kitchen!

Used a grout color that helped blend the colors. Once on the wall this tile shape reads as texture rather than busy tile. Since yours is the solid color I think it will read that way even more so. If the colors work I say go for it - I think it will be something you smile about every day.
September 30, 2013 at 9:58PM        Thanked by rrwahle
mveasey
If possible, buy a few tiles, put them on a piece of plywood and leave them in the kitchen a while with the other samples..
Here a few more photos...
I think it would look great.
September 30, 2013 at 11:14PM        Thanked by rrwahle
leelee
Love the tiles but would re-think the counter tops if it's not too late. The granite looks really white and the tiles look almost like cream tinted. Not good if not an exact match. It'll look like they were supposed to match but didn't.
October 1, 2013 at 2:46PM      Thanked by rrwahle
I’d go more with a cream and white glass tile….like this

October 1, 2013 at 7:40PM      Thanked by rrwahle
Creative Ceramic & Marble
Years ago, I posted a lot in GW's bathrooms forum, and someone there actually won a free backsplash, installed with these Valencia tiles, and it was outstanding!
October 1, 2013 at 8:44PM      Thanked by rrwahle
catherinek708
I really like the tile! Subway tile is nice too, but seems like it's getting a little over done.???
I think the texture and tone will be great!
October 1, 2013 at 8:54PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Creative Ceramic & Marble
Subway tile is getting to be like the 4 1/4 wall tile used to be-- your basic tile backsplash. HOWEVER-- nothing says you have to do the standard brick joint pattern! You can frame the different sections with a one tile border, and then do something like a herringbone or basketweave inside the border. This is a shower (obviously) but it shows subway tile in a herringbone pattern. It completely changes the look of it. IT would change even more if you were to use a subtle contracting color grout with it, as well. Say, something like a light gray with white subways. Here's the herringbone:
October 1, 2013 at 9:01PM        Thanked by rrwahle
bevballew
Agree if you have white counter tops you have to be careful of the color of the backsplash.
October 2, 2013 at 6:03AM      Thanked by rrwahle
Brenda
Very ironic ... I am also thinking about doing an "arabesque" tile in my new modern kitchen (also my "last" decision yet to be made). And my husband also thinks that square/linear is a better way to go.

I love the beveled/dimensional one offered by Mission Stone & Tile, and supposedly they are adding more styles to their line this month, but I haven't seen them yet.
http://store.missionstonetile.com/Arabesque-Wall-Tile-Glass-Ceramic-Stone-s/266.htm?gclid=CL2G7bye-LkCFQqe4AodwFgAPw
October 2, 2013 at 6:19AM      Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Thanks, everyone! As far as colors, the photo doesn't show the "real-life" color very well. Tiles are warm gray, like BM Revere Pewter. The "veining" in counters read gray with brown specs, not really cream at all. (see below). I think tile color compliments the counters nicely. My real concern was the shape being too strange. It is very similar to the arabesque, but less detailed edges. Husband is now okay with anything, which is nice for me. Hopefully he will like the end product!
October 2, 2013 at 8:04AM     
RosemaryR
If you have your heart set on it, then do it, then enjoy it.
October 2, 2013 at 8:20AM        Thanked by rrwahle
indianpatti
I think it will look beautiful and that you really want this .. go for it!
October 2, 2013 at 8:24AM        Thanked by rrwahle
Cabinets To Go
Great tile for the backsplash! Let us know if we can help you with any of your kitchen cabinets!
October 2, 2013 at 8:30AM      Thanked by rrwahle
pgeis
Great to see a post where almost everyone loves what you want to do! I don't see any need for caution -- your plan looks delicious -- but I noticed someone suggested buying a few, putting them on a board, and propping them up in the kitchen for a while. Great idea to live with a large sample where you will install it -- but except for paint, you shouldn't have to pay to do this, At least where I live, the tile stores will check out their sample boards for several days so you can see them in your own light and against other things they will be living with. Ditto for flooring and my favorite fabric store, which almost insisted I do this -- with samples nearly a yard square. No charge -- unless you don't return it.
Have fun -- and trust your taste -- you are right on target!
October 2, 2013 at 10:39AM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Thanks for the confidence boost! I did have a whole tile board at home for awhile, except it was the French blue color. Every time I looked at it I did love it. Hopefully I will love the gray just as much. Good to know about the fabric store.
October 2, 2013 at 11:21AM     
Arley
catieb, got it right, it will "make" the kitchen. In my girlfriend's kitchen it's the same thing.
October 11, 2013 at 11:43PM        Thanked by rrwahle
skylinewater
I moved into an apartment and didn't change a thing in the kitchen. The white tile is on a diagonal and I think it looks fine.
October 11, 2013 at 11:54PM        Thanked by rrwahle
Brenda
any photos yet of your new backsplash rrwahle?
October 12, 2013 at 2:14PM      Thanked by rrwahle
gailretske
rrwahle...I am also remodeling the kitchen as well as baths and other rooms. It's easy to second guess yourself, third guess, fourth guess, until you can't sleep anymore. Because I picked dark gray cabinets in the kitchen, I am not painting the walls gray but am using gray on walls in other rooms. BM Revere Pewter is a great looking gray. In the kitchen, I am using a calm countertop called Silestone, Lyra which has a white base with soft, muted black and gray swirls. It looks like marble but is quartz. My point is that I am adding "bold" and color with a large picture/print with some gray and black but also with yellows, purple and sage green. I am going to fill the wall between the end of the cabinet to a window with this picture. If you want calm, monochromatic color, go for it! Or, if you want to add color, you can do it with a picture, a vase and colorful dried flowers, a colorful tea pot on your stove and so many other ways. It's your home, do what you want and ENJOY!
October 12, 2013 at 3:19PM        Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
No photos yet..just got our start date of early November. Will post in December. Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!
October 13, 2013 at 6:14AM     
gailretske
I will also post in Dec. Good luck!
October 13, 2013 at 6:21AM   
kcar66
LOVE THIS TILE.....everybody & their brother is doing subway tile. Beautiful choice that will go will many different looks.
October 13, 2013 at 6:22AM        Thanked by rrwahle
dclostboy
Was worried with first picture...your second pic allays those fears. Can't wait to see finished product.
makennac
I put that exact tile in my main bath in the first house I built in 1977, so it doesn't work for me for that reason, and I think it's too busy. I'd prefer a subway tile with dark grout that you won't have too much trouble scrubbing on a vertical surface. M
October 13, 2013 at 6:23AM   
rrwahle
Project Complete! We love the backsplash. Thanks to everyone for their help!
January 17, 2014 at 8:06AM     
Timeless Interiors
Love it!!! Looks beautiful!
January 17, 2014 at 8:09AM        Thanked by rrwahle
saratogaswizzlestick
Thank you for posting, it looks great! I love your backsplash too.
January 17, 2014 at 8:15AM        Thanked by rrwahle
bevballew
Looks great., did you go white or cream tile?
January 17, 2014 at 8:18AM   
rrwahle
bevballew-the tile is called "Fog-Gloss" it is a light gray.
January 17, 2014 at 8:20AM     
pgeis
The fog color is perfect - brings a little softness and subtly while maintaining the clean, monochrome, neutral pallet.
January 17, 2014 at 8:23AM        Thanked by rrwahle
jen046
Beautiful!
January 17, 2014 at 8:25AM      Thanked by rrwahle
indomom
What a great choice!
January 17, 2014 at 10:54AM      Thanked by rrwahle
Vered Rosen Design
gorgeous
January 17, 2014 at 12:43PM      Thanked by rrwahle
Kathleen Jamison
I vote yes to style of tiles.
January 17, 2014 at 1:35PM        Thanked by rrwahle
lizzieplace
Rrwalhe, what grout color did you use? Thanks.
last Friday at 9:13PM      Thanked by rrwahle
makennac
54 comments. And one year later. What did you choose?? How dud it all turn out?? Pls post photos.
last Saturday at 1:05AM      Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
lizzieplace, we went with a white grout.
last Saturday at 8:08PM     
rrwahle
makennac, We went with samples shown above. I will post photos. We love how it all turned out, thanks for checking.
last Saturday at 8:09PM   
rrwahle
FINAL PROJECT PHOTOS
last Saturday at 8:11PM     
rrwahle
one more photo of the other wall
last Saturday at 8:12PM     
Carol
Love!
last Saturday at 8:32PM     
makennac
I like it. A lot. And I'm surprised that I like it... I find that tile too 70s Boho for my taste. I love Boho! But not in something as permanent as tile, or as prominent as a backsplash. And I would have steered clear of the white grout bc of the maintenance. But you proved me wrong. Your design works. And you brought everything together like the brilliant conductor of a philharmonic. Great job! And thank you for closing the loop on this. M
last Saturday at 9:10PM     
lizzieplace
Thank you rrwahle! Is that a blanco sink and ventahood hood?
last Saturday at 9:36PM     
rrwahle
Thanks makennac! Lizzieplace, yes a Blanco sink, hood is a Broan. LOVE the Blanco Silgranit sink in Metallic Gray! It is awesome. Doesn't scratch or look dirty.
on Sunday at 7:52AM     
lizzieplace
Thanks rrwahle! Now you are making me want to change my sink color :/ we were choosing between the metallic gray and truffle, and chose the latter in the end. We haven't seen it installed yet, so hopefully it will be as pretty as yours! Thanks for all the info. Came across your post as I was searching for pictures on the julia Mosaic. We have the same backsplash, including color!
on Sunday at 4:08PM      Thanked by rrwahle
beachlily
I love it!
on Sunday at 4:15PM      Thanked by rrwahle
rrwahle
Lizziplace, I'm sure the truffle will look great. Good to know someone else picked out that tile too! Would love to see pictures!
on Monday at 2:51PM   
SoCal Contractor
This is a good choice. Since your kitchen is very neutral it would be nice to add some pizzazz through an interesting texture. Don't play it safe, be bold!
on Monday at 3:14PM     
cabingirl13
Love it all- great choices all around in your new kitchen!
on Monday at 3:28PM   
HELP! 2 different kitchen backsplashes?
We are planning a kitchen remodel. We have the main...
Need help with two different backsplashes
I am redoing the counters in both my utility room and...
Need help with backsplash to match two different countertops!
Thanks for your ideas! Budget only allows Radianz...
Need help decide if backsplash will be too busy
Our cabinets and flooring are going in soon. I love...
How many different types of tile in different rooms is too much
I love all types of tile and if I could I would have...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Wall and Window HELP for Dining Room!
I am looking for suggestions on what I should put above...
Floor suggestions
I have a open floor plan for my kitchen, dining and...
Looking for ideas to address the wall behind a corner wood stove.
I would love to have some kind of stone and mantel...