Sharing your space - Bedrooms!
Do you share your bedroom with a partner? How have you managed to blend your styles and make the room perfect for both of you?

Share your challenges and how you solved them! (Photos encouraged)

Main Line Kitchen Design
As a professional designer I presented my wife with detailed plans for our master bedroom and bathroom suite. She looked them over and then told me what we were doing......... Just kidding!

Actually we compromised at every crossroad, always picking the design and materials we could both enjoy and live with. Neither of us got our first selections for hardwood flooring, marble tile, fixtures and furniture. But our combined selections were more interesting. We marvel almost daily three years later at the interesting combinations we came up with together.

She wanted simple oak flooring, I wanted Brazilian Cherry, We got Cypress as a compromise and it is unusual and striking. I wanted Carrera marble counter tops and tile, she wanted more natural colored Porcelain tile, we compromised with Crema Marfil Marble counters and flooring and again it's less pedestrian and unusual.

We love our selections and they work so well together. But it's not a coincidence, it's because we love each other and WE work so well together. That's something I'll appreciate long after the thrill of the multiple rotating shower heads has warn off.

We did have one tiny issue. There's one short length of flooring that is a little plainer than my wife would have liked. When everything was complete she wondered if that piece would grow on her or if it would still bother her 20 years latter. I plan to have my ashes interred under that floorboard so hopefully when I'm gone it will be her favorite.
September 30, 2013 at 4:06pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Main Line Kitchen Design
Here's my resting place if anyone is interested. Board is top left.
September 30, 2013 at 4:18pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
We compromise, but he gives me free rein with the interior...Our biggest tif was over showerheads in the master bath.( We coordinated them and I gave up the rain shower in the ceiling...) Our bedroom is a dream come true.
October 1, 2013 at 5:10am     
OnePlan
I have worked with a couple who have each had their own styled master suite designed - in separate houses, about 500 miles apart !! And both spent time together, in each ! They were very happy ! Both traditional - but one heavy oaks and dark colours - the other more of a French feel, with light woods and pale linens ! The same hydraulic 'sit up bed' with same gauge mattress in each ! Now that really is two strong willed people compromising !!
( personally - it's who ever is payIng for the stuff, that gets the deciding vote, in my home !)
October 1, 2013 at 10:32am     
rosecafe
Give your wife the wardrobe, all of it. And all the en suite cabinets. But bring coffee and breakfast into bed for yourself and watch her reaction. : )
October 5, 2013 at 7:27am     
Beth Z Ship
Beautiful-What is the paint color?
October 23, 2013 at 6:02pm   
Anina Salerno_Aita
We reached a good compromise. He had a new bedroom suite, which we kept. I picked out paint colors, linens, drapes, and accessories, but I made sure not to use floral prints and girly looking things. We are both very pleased with the result. (We did disagree with the layout, but I won, and he ended up agreeing that it looks better my way.)
October 23, 2013 at 6:30pm     
Luckily, he has no style….: >) but, wow, is he cute!
October 23, 2013 at 6:33pm     
athomeeileen
Hubby handled the TV, I did the rest.
October 23, 2013 at 7:22pm   
Should I remove these cabinet doors?
We are painting the hardware in our kitchen this weekend...
Help!
Where can I find and affordable french country blue...
Pillows please
Pillow suggestions for this rug.