Help selecting kitchen paint color (for walls)
pupu4u
We don't have a ton of wall space, just a tiny bit in the doorway between pantry and fridge and the walls with windows at the end of the kitchen. The cabinets and counter tops are pretty neutral so we'd love to bring in a little color and some fun. The cabinets are Navajo white and the countertops are River White Granite. The floor is a hickory with a saddle brown finish. The room adjacent is the dining room and has some teal/peacock blue, sage green and browns/tans in the area rug and the furniture is all traditional wood circa 1940's.
dawnmv3
Love the kitchen! I would try a lighter version of one of your rug colors if you plan on keeping it. Get a bunch of color samples and see what works. Good luck!
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 4:20PM
bksavy
Nice! Love the shutters!! In have the same cabinet under my sink! A nice light yellow, light grey or light blue.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 5:17PM
Here is one idea with soft creams to compliment the cabinetry.

2 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 6:27PM
pupu4u
that is pretty, I might use it in the dining room. Every neutral I try either clashes with the countertop or cabinet. Too white makes the cabinet look dingy, grey makes the cabinet look really beigy brown. I'm sure the right neutral is out there, but I can't seem to find it. I am thinking of going with either tapestry red, which seems to compliment the reddish brown in the countertop and brings out the warmth of the cabinet -
or a blue-ish green that makes the cabinets look a little more creamy.
2 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 6:55PM
bksavy
Try pewter, yellow mist or silver tradition. I promise they won't clash! :-)
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 7:04PM
bksavy
If the paint such an issue try a back splash!! White subway tiles, grey marble or something that can be laid in a herringbone pattern.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 7:07PM
pupu4u
I tried pewter it looked purple. I haven't tried the others though, I will look for them tomorrow morning. This is just for the walls at the front and back of the kitchen. The backsplash will be white subway tiles. I love them set on a herringbone, but hubby doesn't : (
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 7:11PM
bksavy
Ok. Not all colors are the same shade. Check out pewter shades from different brands.
0 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 7:18PM
pupu4u
I've investigated a lot of neutrals and I think I'm still gravitating towards a color. So I've narrowed it down to a blue-green or a clay color. I did a really rudimentary paint version of each color. Any opinions? I like them both for different reasons. The clay color brings out the red/brown flecks in the granite. The blue just looks cheery and bright on the wall, but isn't so matchy matchy with the kitchen (it does tie into the dining room colors).
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:00PM
pupu4u
and the backsplashes will be all white subway tile. I just put it next to the granite to show the color combo
0 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 12:00PM
bksavy
Good. I like the green!
0 Likes   Thanked by pupu4u    October 2, 2013 at 7:16PM
lboycehome
I'm trying to decide between those same two colors in my kitchen too. Same layout where paint won't be against counters. And I'm tired of neutrals too.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:33PM
lynsibee
We just painted our kitchen SW Sea Salt and I love it! Our cabinets are a similar color to yours. (:
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:59PM
losthorizonlisa
Bm camouflage isn't much to look at in the sample, but on the wall, it is an amazing color. The SW sea salt is also amazing. Either sound like they would blend with your bolder dining colors. I'm sorry, the samples you showed ruin the earthy aesthetic for me and remind me of something in the tropics. no offense...
3 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:09PM
redd4lfe1
Love the green/blue too. Really like the Behr paint too!
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:19PM
pupu4u
lynsibee, what kind of countertops do you have? Can you post pictures of your kitchen?

good luck lboycehome, this is such a tough decision, the are such different colors one minute I feel one way and another I go back to the other...someone just suggested a really pretty yellow too (home decorator's beacon yellow) just not sure how that will go with the countertops...the possibilities are endless and that makes it so hard to narrow down and stick with one color!!

Losthorizonlia, I don't know that I am going for an earthy aesthetic so definitely no offense taken. We are trying to bring some fun and color into the kitchen so the neutrals, although beautiful and elegant, miss the mark.
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 7:41PM
Interior Archaeology
You're project is looking great - I love your choices. I'm a neutral loving girl, but how those neutrals all telescope together is where the magic is. The tiny shifts in shade must complement each other. You have a lot of grey happening in your beautiful countertops and your cabinets are a rich creamy ivory with a lot of warmth. Look at Benjamin Moore's Rocking Chair CSP-400 in an eggshell latex finish. I think it can help to bridge the cool tones in the countertop with the warmer tones in the cabinets. Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by pupu4u    October 3, 2013 at 7:53PM
pupu4u
I like rocking chair it's a pretty color and I love what you are saying about bridging the ivory and gray. I think I am having so much trouble finding the perfect color that compliments both elements, but is it possible to do that with an actual color. We have a young family (kids are 2 and 5) and want something warm and cheery and fun (and beautiful too).
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:09PM
lynsibee
Our countertops are a lot darker than yours in the kitchen but we used the same color in our bathroom that has lighter counter tops like yours. It is a very light and refreshing color, to me. We are still in the process of painting and updating our new house. So excuse any unfinished messes. (:
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 7:03PM
pupu4u
my husband says taupe is the way to go : ( I was thinking fun and color, but I guess neutral is going to win afterall.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 5:26PM
kcar66
light granny apple green!!
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 5:28PM
redd4lfe1
nice idea kcar
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 5:52PM
Amy Andrews
I live the red color
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:14PM
elphmer
Redder tones stimulate the appetite. That is why you see them so often in restaurants. Think of that.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:30PM
rsm49
I used SW Hopsack in my kitchen, which has creamy white (SW Dover White) cabinets with a coffee glaze. I like it a lot.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:40PM
kelizrm
I'd go with a strong vivid teal blue.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:56PM
losthorizonlisa
Fall is upon us...in going with your idea of pop of color and my ongoing desire for your house to meet my outdoorsy aesthetic...lol...apple green as suggested, orange, goldenrod, or maple leaf crimson as someone pointed out...red stimulates the appetite (not something I personally need). Also, look at this peacock feather...

Your husband is a man...men always say neutral. Tell him NO! You and the kids insist on a fun dash of color! It's a small area and can be repainted down the road.

Have fun!
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 4:27PM
losthorizonlisa
2 more
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 4:29PM
Barbie
Go for a neutral. You can add so much fun with color through art and accessories.
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 5:01PM
Cabinets To Go
Your kitchen is so neutral anything could go and would look great! Try thinking more of an accent color, or even a color pop to help brighten the room!
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 7:47AM
pupu4u
well the final color is now on the walls, it is actually very close to one of the peacock feather colors, more brown tone. I will post pictures soon. thank you all for your help and advice!!
0 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 2:44PM
Barbie
Would love to see an updated picture!
0 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 10:05AM
pupu4u
The final choice:
6 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 11:55AM
Barbie
Love it! It looks perfect with your cabinet and floor color. Thanks for sharing!
2 Likes   Thanked by pupu4u    October 16, 2013 at 12:54PM
lynsibee
It looks so good! I am glad you went with what you loved. It turned out perfect.
2 Likes   October 16, 2013 at 3:09PM
losthorizonlisa
Perfect! Love it!
0 Likes   October 17, 2013 at 6:10AM
Catherine Hantsche
Love your colour I would of said something along this sort ogf cil
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 3:26AM
Catherine Hantsche
Meant to say along this sort of colour Good choice
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 4:14AM
Need help selecting kitchen paint color
Cabinet tops are wedge wood blue. What color scheme...
Need help selecting a color to paint the kitchen cabinets and island
I have black granite counters and backsplash, stainless...
Need help with paint color selection for kitchen and den
I am remoldeling the kitchen and selected sherwin Williams...
I need help selecting yellow paint color for dining and kitchen
I have lots of windows for this area, which is currently...
busy or beautiful?
I just had new quartz countertops installed in my bathrooms....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Best off-white/cream color for kitchen?
Our dining area is open to the kitchen but has no window....
REALLY need help with curb appeal... Any ideas will be appreciated!
We love our house. The location is perfect and the...
New sectional sofa...now what?
I am looking for advice for my family living space....