Do I have to use an architect – can’t I just go straight to a builder?
Hill Architects
Going straight to a builder means you miss out on the important design stage.

It sounds obvious but builders specialise in building things and architects specialise in designing spaces. If you ask a builder to draw you a house he – if he can draw at all – will give you something that is easy to build. Builders' houses generally aim to look at a minimum, in terms of quantity, quality and time to put it all together.

Architecture starts where building stops, and there is much more to designing a home than just drawing.

A large part of an architect's role is to help you visualise potential solutions. This may be achieved through the use of models and three-dimensional drawings in addition to traditional floor plans, sections, and elevations. A clear and vivid representation helps you understand what a design solution will look like and feel like, so you can judge it in an informed way.

An architect juggles many factors when solving a design problem.

Beyond the fundamental matters of getting the project built and meeting the budget and schedule, an architect's design integrates a broad range of other concerns:
• providing spaces for a client's unique needs and requirements
• how the project expresses the client's feelings, values, and priorities
• how the project relates to its site
• how the project fits into its neighbourhood and historical context
• how the details enhance the overall effect
• the long- and short-term economic benefits of design strategies and material, finish, and fixture selections
• energy and environmental responsibility
• planning ahead for optional future changes
• in alterations and additions, how new work will fit with or contrast with existing construction.

By using an architect you will end up with a home that is right for you and that you will love living in, with a perfect integration of the interior spaces and the exterior.

You will also ensure that your investment is maximised and the finished project adds value to your property. Badly designed extensions reduce the value of your property.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Also, keep in mind that not every architect is skilled at designing homes and might not be good at staying within budgets. Find a list of several recommended architecture firms and then interview their past clients. Make sure that you are getting the right architect for you.........
September 30, 2013 at 11:58PM      Thanked by Hill Architects
Soul Space
Great article, thank you for sharing!
October 1, 2013 at 1:33AM      Thanked by Hill Architects
Got the shabby, forgot the chic
Can anybody please help me redecorate and re arrange...
Driveway entrance
Hi I have a Spanish style home and want to create a...
Beach condo remodel
Bedroom is 16x16. Would like to use existing furniture....
Please help with my lounge room
Hello! I'm needing some help with interior decorating,...