Need help with foyer
frugalgrl
I need some help with my foyer. I've been struggling with finding
a) new sconces
b) foyer table

Our house is a little more traditional, we are a little more casual/rustic.
a) sconces- they seem too formal or too modern. Any ideas?

b) I would love a foyer table(sideboard?) that is about 70", and one that has some drawers/cabinets for kids to put their hats, mitts, since we can always use more storage in our house. At first I thought a dark brown would be nice but now I think black would be great to anchor the space.

The distance between the sconces is about 67". The crappy table there now (not staying...don't worry) is about 46" and is much to small for the space.
[houzz=Foyer 1]
[houzz=Foyer 2]
frugalgrl
also need new chandelier :-)
October 1, 2013 at 9:25am     
Sustainable Dwellings
A new chandelier and sconce would be nice here.
October 1, 2013 at 9:30am   
frugalgrl
Most definitely!! I can't take looking at them for much longer. Any suggestions?
October 1, 2013 at 9:41am   
frugalgrl
You can see in the picture the basket of kids shoes. In an ideal world I would love a piece of furniture with a shelf to put a basket in for shoes. Having a hard time finding anything in furniture stores around my area.
October 1, 2013 at 10:22am   
Suzanne Powers
Beautiful wainscoting and trim but it looks as though there is no closet for winter coats and jackets on the first floor. I would consider a built in or stand alone wood piece that could be painted white for coats and hats to be hung.

Less expensive option are the separate top and bottom sections, these can be seen on the internet and ordered. The sconces may have to be relocated but it would solve the storage problem.

Bronze/brown toned metal sconces and hanging light would be a more casual option.
October 1, 2013 at 10:57am   
I think either Pottery barn or Crate and a Barrel carries a hall tree in black. With hooks for coats. And storage seat, for shoes, etc. big 6ft. Remove scones they look out of place.
October 1, 2013 at 11:07am     
A new chandelier . Bigger hang lower, in a bronze lantern type. Or sphere type. Restoration hardware has great ones. That would really up date this area.
October 1, 2013 at 11:09am     
frugalgrl
Sorry I should have mentioned that there is a closet around the corner but with little kids shoes seem to pile up at front door.(We are working on that ;-) )

I have found many long console tables but would prefer something with some drawers to 'hide' more of the kids things.

Could you give me an example of a suitable sconce? I'm struggling with balancing out the traditional house (wainscoting) and our style (more casual). I have no design sense.
October 1, 2013 at 11:11am   
Move area rug from right in front of door. Move back 10" get a 6x9 in color like red, print.
October 1, 2013 at 11:11am   
Go on line if no stores in your area.
October 1, 2013 at 11:12am   
frugalgrl
I saw this one from Thomasville on line but have not seen it in person and it has no reviews. not in love with it but has drawers and even a place for a shoe basket. thoughts?[houzz=
]
October 1, 2013 at 11:12am     
frugalgrl
this is the one my husband loves but I think its too rustic for our formal entry
]
October 1, 2013 at 11:13am     
frugalgrl
in regards to the sconce - I can't decide to get rid of them entirely or get new ones. It is nice to have the extra lighting but not sure if they look out of place???
October 1, 2013 at 11:15am   
JRH76
What about using a buffet or similar cabinet. Pottery Barn has several beautiful options that I would consider casual/rustic. I personally love the Cortona buffet.
October 1, 2013 at 11:16am   
Just remove them they are not working. Or if you can't. Up fade to longer 2ft high in a bronze. Ones that look like candles but are really a light. Homedecorator.com may have them or google scones. If can't find hall tree. Try a long 6 ft black de stressed look. Buffett chest type. Lots of storage. You find them in dining rms but can be used here.
October 1, 2013 at 11:17am   
frugalgrl
I love the cortona buffet too but wasn't sure if it looked too 'dining room'. I feel like the ones with legs look better??
]
October 1, 2013 at 11:17am   
Your hubby is right on. Yes it would work. What I was talking about. then add the taller scones.
October 1, 2013 at 11:18am   
frugalgrl
travisinteriors- yes, I totally agree! I would love a 6 ft long black distressed buffet look but have not seen one. I've been searching forever.
October 1, 2013 at 11:19am   
frugalgrl
hmmm....... hubby will be glad you agree with him. You don't think it's too rustic with the wainscoting behind?
October 1, 2013 at 11:20am   
Yes that one does look dining rm. hubby best one so far.
October 1, 2013 at 11:20am   
Wainscoting, isn't just used in formal looks can go either way.
October 1, 2013 at 11:21am   
This is probably too traditional, but a curved table under the stairs would look nice, then a taller piece between the sconces, or a bench with a mirror above.

October 1, 2013 at 11:39am      Thanked by frugalgrl
frugalgrl
Thank you, I love that look. I have not seen that picture but I saw a similar one with a chair and table and thought it would look nice. I've been shopping for an inexpensive chair for that space but haven't found one. I know what I like when I look at pictures of other people's beautiful houses but when it comes time to find things to buy I'm horrible. Hence, the brass chandelier, sconces, no foyer table...... and so on. :-(

would you put a bench between the sconces? Hmmm.... that would be something to consider.
October 1, 2013 at 11:47am   
susanrobertson
British Cottage in Red Bank NJ sells amazing pieces. Both antiques, and newly made from old wood. You will find some amazing unique pieces. Just tell them what you want.
October 1, 2013 at 1:02pm   
susanrobertson
bcapine@aol.com is British Cottage's e mail address.
October 1, 2013 at 1:03pm   
bubblyjock
@ frugalgrl - you can make a demi-lune table, if that's what you like, by buying a beat-up old round table and cutting it in half. I've seen it done, and it's fabbie, especially if you paint it afterwards! And you can get an old chair or two and paint them to match, perhaps. Try Craigslist, your local thrift shops, etc, for sweet deals.
October 1, 2013 at 1:07pm     
bubblyjock
Whoops - missed your posts about your husband liking the buffets, sorry! Again, keep an eye on Craigslist: for instance, "french provincial" is not popular right now, so you should be able to pick up something pretty cheaply and re-paint it. They look super when tarted up with a lick of paint, and are of a vintage to have been pretty well-made, enough to withstand a busy home hallway! Check out Houzz pro "My Paris Apartment" for ideas:

October 1, 2013 at 1:11pm   
foreverhouse
You have a very pretty entry..I think your sconces and furniture are too small for your large space..I like your idea of making your entry piece in black..That would anchor the large space..Find one that has all the drawers for gloves, etc..I bought a very large basket at HomeGoods that has a flip top where I store out shoes after we come in the door..Then you can close the top and it's decorative..
October 1, 2013 at 4:06pm   
frugalgrl
Like the idea of the close top basket.

Still searching for a black piece, I've even been checking Craigslist in case I find something I can paint. No luck yet. Do you think that the furniture needs to be a certain size?? The table I have there now is about 46" which seems to small for the space. The sconces are 67" apart from each other.

does everyone think I should do away with sconces or just get new ones? And if new ones, what style?

thanks so much for all who have commented. I am very appreciative of any advice!!!
October 2, 2013 at 8:30am   
cathyjoco
Hi frugalgrl - I looked at Frontgate and Ballard Designs. Frontgate had the piece with embossed side panels - which I thought was really pretty for an entry piece. The other piece is from Ballard...I thought it would be nice to have a large picture on the top of it or decorate with the tapestry. You may need to incorporate a mirror somewhere close by, even if it is mounted inside the closet door. Ballard has a pretty large selection and has options for the colors you are looking for. As for the lighting, it may be that as you pick the table the items to be used on the table, you may opt to not use the wall lighting and cover it with plates.
October 2, 2013 at 9:38am      Thanked by frugalgrl
cathyjoco
Oh! Another thing you can do, is add a lower pole in the closet or mount 2 of these, to the inside of your door. .
October 2, 2013 at 9:44am   
frugalgrl
Not a great picture but how is this? It is the perfect measurements for the space but has glass doors which isn't really what I was looking for. But it is perfect size, perfect finish (black, tiny bit distressed), has little legs. What do you think?

]
October 3, 2013 at 4:50pm   
frugalgrl
here's a bad stock photo of same piece in green
]
October 3, 2013 at 4:57pm     
foreverhouse
I like it very much! It has great character and love the glass. It breaks up the heavy feeling of the large piece.
October 3, 2013 at 5:19pm      Thanked by frugalgrl
lepstein
I actually like your first pic for an entry table. Or for a more rustic look and very practical, Pier One has a hall seat with some hooks and some storage. It is all wood and the one I saw was distressed white. I think it might fit between the sconces. The reason the sconces look out of place is that there is nothing between them. You need a large mirror there (to go with a larger hall table or the table/chair vignette), or some art. I would do an eclectic mix of art up the whole wall, with a smaller (but not too small) mirror, interesting 3D pieces and larger sconces if you don't do the hall seat. Lantern style chandelier ( don't use apothecary up style as it is too difficult too keep clean). Good luck.
October 12, 2013 at 1:42am   
lepstein
You could always paint the wainscoting either in funky colours or just darker than the walls for a more casual feel.
October 12, 2013 at 1:47am   
Laurie
Re:storage, what I found helpful was a large drawer end dresser in foyer, each child had own drawer (we have 2) plus one for hubbie. First I tried an antique piece but later swapped it out for new one so drawers were easy glide open for kids, once they learned which drawer was theirs they were independent with it. Our foyer very much like yours. We have a console w lamps plus a dresser and chair on staircase wall. As 4 shoes...I gave up on that one, lol, everyone's house in my subdivision has shoes inside front door, like a badge of honor. Lol.
October 12, 2013 at 4:49am   
Laurie
Did u see this console?
October 12, 2013 at 5:13am   
Laurie
Or these, although I like the first one. I think it has enough heft to fill in your space nicely, especially once you add a mirror or artwork and change out gold sconces on wall. LOVE the dresser, too, if you decided to go with just a plain console (no drawers) on your entrance wall by front door and maybe add something like this dresser to your smaller interior stair wall, which was what we eventually did.
October 12, 2013 at 5:47am   
Laurie
Lighting can be tricky, I know, because when we moved into our home 15 years ago everything was polished gold finish from the lighting to hardware on EVERYTHING. And it wasn't the nice brass/gold, it was a cheap builders grade that had scuffs and scratches all over it. Problem is, once you start changing out light fixtures in one room, it makes all the other rooms look instantly WORSE. LOL. A lot depends, I think, on how long you intend to stay in this house and if resale is important to you, maybe mix up the finishes but stay mainstream enough that a buyer won't be scared off. OR if this is your forever home, and you feel your decorating style is pretty firmly in place, then go for it. Buy what you love and what makes you smile! Finishes come and go (in our fifteen years here in the Midwest, finishes went from gold to nickel to oiled bronze and now gold, but more of a matte gold, are coming back strong). You can't win that game, so I say pick what you like best and classic shapes you can live with for a long time.

I had this saved and thought of you, but it might be too trendy. I really kind of hate trendy! http://www.littmanbros.com/elk-lighting-barringer-15034-6-chandelier.html. Maybe if you are willing to share some other rooms or parts of rooms in your home that you love, that would give us a better idea of your taste. Rustic and casual are good adjectives, but can mean many different things.
October 12, 2013 at 6:02am   
Need help for my dark foyer Victorian era foyer.
I have a large dark foyer...lots of dark oak and very...
Help please! Need help with my foyer!
Bleh! I just put up some board and batten and started...
Need help with foyer and living room
Just painted my foyer a dark grey and my living room...
Need help with colors for hallway and foyer
Please please tell me the colors used in this lovely...
Need help with entry/foyer
I need ideas for a piece of furniture for under this...
Need curtain /blinds advise on window door combo.
I recently rented an apartment on ground floor. Most...
Help with exterior color!!
I need ideas on exterior trim color and garage color??...
Blinds, cell/blinds, curtains?
Not sure what to do with these 4 windows. I was thinking...
Sunroom help
We are moving into a home with an amazing sunroom....