New apartment. Need ideas for a vintage&hi-tech design
Philip Dovgopol
October 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Moving into a new apartment in Edinburgh soon (with temporary furniture from the owner). Old building, high ceilings, lots of natural light and stunning views of the West End. Good blank canvas. Looking to capture the spirit of this property through furnishings and small decor as it is a rental (for few years) hoping to take any investments with us when we eventually move out. Thinking about vintage and hi-tech, kind of hipster style, if you know what I mean. Open to all ideas -)

Thats the lounge.

The rest of apartment is here:
Kitchen http://www.houzz.com/discussions/671764
Corridor and bedroom - http://www.houzz.com/discussions/671771
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
JudyG Designs
Stay with the black and white (which is not yours), but invest in a great piece of art which you will love forever, two great chairs which can go with you and then just some odds and ends. Work around the art. It is an investment.

October 1, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by Philip Dovgopol
abbyjean
Is that the view from outside your window? Take that pic and make it in to a canvas for behind the couch. That will be an awesome memory to take with you.
October 1, 2013 at 2:13pm        Thanked by Philip Dovgopol
abbyjean
You are lucky that this is such a nice place to spend a few years in! The furnishings look very nice. The coffee table needs to be moved closer to the couch, which I am sure you will do. 18 inches. Maybe the mirror that is on the wall could go on the mantle? Would be nice if that side table could go behind the love seat. If not, try it over by the windows and not lined up with the fireplace.
October 1, 2013 at 2:13pm     
Bridget
Mission Possible: A Designer Decorates a Blank Apartment in 4 Days
This is on houzz, it may give you ideas that could work for you. I understand you do not have that amount of money, it will give you some very good ideas how to make a home.
October 1, 2013 at 10:10pm     
gaflei
The high ceilings will give you plenty of room for pendant lights. If you need any ceiling lights, do take a look at IKEA's selection of paper lantern lights - many sizes and shapes. For a modest outlay, they will look super. With care, they last for years. You will also be able to pack them flat and take them with you when you leave, if you wish. Enjoy your stay in my beloved old home town!
October 2, 2013 at 1:07pm   
bellesum
Not sure if you are planning to get your own sofa but the Timothy Oulton Kensington sofa or something similar would look fab in your space. He is even known as a vintage designer.

October 3, 2013 at 4:25am