Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_966746

Need paint color help!

We are redesigning two baths and a kitchen. I am terrible at picking out paint colors. We are using Benjamin Moore, so any help with colors would be much appreciated. Here is the info...
-hall bath for kids: espresso cabinets, white macabus granite and a light blue/grey tile and glass tile
-master bath: espresso cabinets with a light brown tile and brown and stainless glass tile to accent (maybe river white granite)
-kitchen: white cabinets with espresso cabinets in the island, river white granite and a brown and stainless glass tile to accent. Appliances, faucets and pendants are stainless

Any other favorite colors for bedrooms and powder rooms.

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• Melody Reed
    10 years ago
    The single thing that helps me determine colors is a color wheel. It shows complimentary colors, split complimentary,triads, etc. You can pick one up at Michael's (under $5) or probably most art supply stores.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    It is very difficult to suggest specific paint colors without pics, and even then with differences in how they appear on monitors, it's always a best guess. You may benefit from hiring a color consultant. Their fee is very reasonable (it was about $100. A few years back, and I should mention that I'm in Canada, so could be different). It might save you a lot of stress and trial and error to go this route. Otherwise, at the very least, could you post some pics?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Here's my very best guess, based on what I picture in my minds eye and not much else to go on! Ben Moore Wickham Grey for all three rooms. For bedrooms, look at the paint strip that this color is on, and try something two shades darker, or over on the paint strip next to this one, pick something that is maybe a little more green, or a little more blue - just stick to the same general area and things will harmonize very well.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago
    Yeah, Karee, that's a lot of color choosin' you have to do. If the task was on my plate, I'd probably start with Ben Moore's Affinity colors fandeck. It's a smaller collection of colors and from the fixed elements you've listed, the Affinity collection has a good mix of hue families and colors from which to choose.

Karemore55 - Love Wickham Grey, super pretty color.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Lori, Have you personally used Wickham Grey? Am thinking of using it in my own home, but worried about cloudy winters here.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago
    I have. In my half bath when we first moved into this house. I live in very sunny El Paso and I didn't quite understand the light here at first. That bathroom has a generous skylight. Wickham looked lovely at night but during the day the wash of sunlight made it fade to gray. No hint that it came from the blue-green color family was left at all. After I adjusted to the abundant light here, I ended up with H2ahh from Ellen Kennon instead.

I think it's totally going to depend on the quality of light you have to work with in the winter; a rather balanced mix of light beams would probably be best. If the light quality is slanted to any one part of the spectrum in particular, Wickham might not be the best choice.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Yes, for that reason I might default to Palladian Blue. It works in my basement bathroom, so should be OK in my ensuite fingers crossed.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Sorry Kareem, Were probably getting you all confused again!
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago
    Ahhh, brilliant idea. Good luck!