Need paint color help!
Karee Whitman Schwartz
We are redesigning two baths and a kitchen. I am terrible at picking out paint colors. We are using Benjamin Moore, so any help with colors would be much appreciated. Here is the info...
-hall bath for kids: espresso cabinets, white macabus granite and a light blue/grey tile and glass tile
-master bath: espresso cabinets with a light brown tile and brown and stainless glass tile to accent (maybe river white granite)
-kitchen: white cabinets with espresso cabinets in the island, river white granite and a brown and stainless glass tile to accent. Appliances, faucets and pendants are stainless

Any other favorite colors for bedrooms and powder rooms.

Thanks!!
2reeds
The single thing that helps me determine colors is a color wheel. It shows complimentary colors, split complimentary,triads, etc. You can pick one up at Michael's (under $5) or probably most art supply stores.
October 1, 2013 at 9:32pm     
karemore55
It is very difficult to suggest specific paint colors without pics, and even then with differences in how they appear on monitors, it's always a best guess. You may benefit from hiring a color consultant. Their fee is very reasonable (it was about $100. A few years back, and I should mention that I'm in Canada, so could be different). It might save you a lot of stress and trial and error to go this route. Otherwise, at the very least, could you post some pics?
October 1, 2013 at 10:38pm     
karemore55
Here's my very best guess, based on what I picture in my minds eye and not much else to go on! Ben Moore Wickham Grey for all three rooms. For bedrooms, look at the paint strip that this color is on, and try something two shades darker, or over on the paint strip next to this one, pick something that is maybe a little more green, or a little more blue - just stick to the same general area and things will harmonize very well.
October 1, 2013 at 10:43pm     
Lori A. Sawaya
Yeah, Karee, that's a lot of color choosin' you have to do. If the task was on my plate, I'd probably start with Ben Moore's Affinity colors fandeck. It's a smaller collection of colors and from the fixed elements you've listed, the Affinity collection has a good mix of hue families and colors from which to choose.

Karemore55 - Love Wickham Grey, super pretty color.
October 1, 2013 at 10:53pm     
karemore55
Lori, Have you personally used Wickham Grey? Am thinking of using it in my own home, but worried about cloudy winters here.
October 1, 2013 at 11:11pm     
Lori A. Sawaya
I have. In my half bath when we first moved into this house. I live in very sunny El Paso and I didn't quite understand the light here at first. That bathroom has a generous skylight. Wickham looked lovely at night but during the day the wash of sunlight made it fade to gray. No hint that it came from the blue-green color family was left at all. After I adjusted to the abundant light here, I ended up with H2ahh from Ellen Kennon instead.

I think it's totally going to depend on the quality of light you have to work with in the winter; a rather balanced mix of light beams would probably be best. If the light quality is slanted to any one part of the spectrum in particular, Wickham might not be the best choice.
October 1, 2013 at 11:21pm   
karemore55
Yes, for that reason I might default to Palladian Blue. It works in my basement bathroom, so should be OK in my ensuite fingers crossed.
October 1, 2013 at 11:34pm   
karemore55
Sorry Kareem, Were probably getting you all confused again!
October 1, 2013 at 11:34pm     
Lori A. Sawaya
Ahhh, brilliant idea. Good luck!
October 1, 2013 at 11:35pm   
Lori A. Sawaya
Yes, sorry Karee! Color conversations have the darndest way of meandering all over the place when they take off!
October 1, 2013 at 11:36pm     
Help!! Need help w/ exterior paint & trim colors...strange brick color
We are replacing our press board siding with cement...
Need help w/kitchen paint color & stain or paint color for cabinets
I am doing a budget friendly diy kitchen remodel (I,e...
Need to re-paint this home and need color help!
We want to repaint in a Spanish/Mediterranean color...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Kitchen window
I love these big beautiful picture windows above my...
I need help with an original design for this Foyer
Because the client doesn't want a center table and...
Dining Chairs - Contrast styles or go with the beachy flow...
I purchased a unique custom table for which I'm having...