built in barbecue on covered patio
jmichaud724
can a barbecue be built under the roof of a covered patio? Is there a fire danger associated with this? Will the smoke discolor the ceiling of the patio cover?
Ironwood Builders
No. Yes. Yes. If you build the BBQ with a chimney or a REALLY large hood, maybe....but if it an attached roof, I would advise against it.
October 1, 2013 at 9:39PM     
jmichaud724
thanks. Its confusing because I find so many pictures with them built under a roof...
October 1, 2013 at 10:15PM   
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
I don't see why not, and don't see that it would be a fire hazard in regular use and with a typical residential BBQ under any codes I know of.

A BBQ is a contained flame source. The greatest danger from a BBQ is it falling over and lighting the floor on fire, and second to that damaging or igniting the wall finish next to it (like vinyl siding, or unfinished cedar.) But a typical ceiling is far enough away from a typical BBQ to not be a fire hazard. Think of an island cooktop with a down-draft vent: no heat issues on the ceiling above it, and no code requiring anything be done to the ceiling in that regard. So long as the patio cover sheds or vents rather than collects smoke (not a closed cathedral ceiling) venting should not be an issue. And while the ceiling is likely to get greasy over time, I can't imagine it would get heat damaged. Put your hand over your BBQ at eye level and there's almost no heat.

This of course is all subject to a local fire codes. They may well see it differently, and that is really where you should go for a definitive answer.
October 2, 2013 at 6:31PM      Thanked by jmichaud724
CoHo Properties, Inc.
I am currently working on a project that calls for an outdoor BBQ under a roof. Generally speaking in most areas you will not need to put an exhaust hood under the roof. Assuming that your ceiling height is 8ft or higher and your BBQ is counter high (36") then you will not be required to put in an exhaust fan. HOWEVER, the smoke from the grill will definitely create soot stains on the roof. ( I know this because MY house has this problem). Basically every year I clean and repaint the ceiling and walls around the grill. So, I would definitely recommend putting an exhaust fan above the grill so you won't create soot stains on the walls and ceiling. I found 1200 cfm outdoor hoods on Ebay for a little under $1,000. At the end of the day, you will need to check your local building codes, but it highly unlikely that you would be required to put in an exhaust hood....but if you don't just be prepared to deal with discolored ceilings and walls.
October 2, 2013 at 6:46PM        Thanked by jmichaud724
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Need help with odd window in master bedroom
I need ideas for a narrow window, it now has blinds...
Need to pick paint color by Monday!
Trying to decide on paint color for most of house....
What to do with this toilet space
Our master bath has all this space around the toilet....