loft light

ajjOctober 2, 2013
I'm thinking replacing the recess light (left one in the picture) with a different kind of light fixture. Those two and one more on the right (not shown in the first pic) are only recess lights I have. I attached a rough drawing of those lights' placements on the ceiling. The yellow circle is what I'm considering replacing. The center one should have been at least horizontally aligned with the one on the right, I think. It seems like the electrician ran out of material or something. Anyhow, if I replace the left one with a bigger fixture, this misalignment won't bother me too much, I guess.

So...what kind of fixture should I get? A drum pendant? A chandelier? I don't think I'd have any furniture on that loft. Doors are in every directions and any furniture will get in the way. The blue circle on the drawing is an outlet to presumably hang a chandelier or ceiling fan for the two story living room. Currently I have none. I'm not sure whether the house style is classic, modern, somewhere in the middle, and whether I should stick to the style when picking a fixture.

As a separate note, any comment on the hallway decoration would be also welcomed!
the essentials inside
Hi ajj!

I'd like to see more views of the space but with the current photo I would suggest a chandelier in the two story open space rather than just a new light in the loft.

If you could post some more views, that would be great!

~Lyvonne
    Bookmark   Thanked by ajj    October 3, 2013 at 9:08AM
Brenda
What is the ceiling height on that upper landing? I don't think you have room for a hanging fixture. I would look for something flush mounted (that doesn't come down below the top of the door frames).
    Bookmark   Thanked by ajj    October 3, 2013 at 9:13AM
Brenda
... maybe something like this ...

Quoizel Two-Light Josslyn Medium Flush Mount Ceiling Light, Brushed Nickel · More Info
-]
1 Like    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:41AM
DMH DESIGN
At the upstairs hall, definitely a surface mount fixture that is in the 8"-10" range in height, top to botttom, would be best. Your ceilings look to be about 8' high, judging by the height of the doors I can see. From what I can tell, the middle fixture was aligned to the width of the stair run, and the one furthest right aligned to the stair landing and the middle of the doors. If this door is an exterior entry door, I would suggest that this is a place to put a pendant fixture or chandelier in place of the can light, per your discretion. The outlet (junction box with a cover plate, perhaps?) over the living room could also be a pendant fixture, but larger in scale than the one over the stair landing. Both Brenda's offerings for the hall seem like good options to me, with the left being more of a classic look, and the right being a little more MCM/60's ish in my view. Happy Houzzing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ajj    October 3, 2013 at 9:57AM
ajj
@DMH: Yes. it is a junction box with a cover plate over the 2 story living room. You nailed the space without seeing it. :-) I think I understand better why these recess lights not aligned.. The door on the right is to a master bed (attached). I wish I have a pic with the ceiling there but the 3rd recess light is in front of this bedroom door.
@yvonne and Brenda: So I'd be better off not hanging anything low there.. Guess I could just leave the recess light unchanged?
    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 11:33AM
ajj
The ceiling height I think is 8' on the 2nd floor and 9' on the 1st floor.
    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 11:37AM
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
jxwagne
12 month challenge Oak Kitchen Cabinets Slab Panel Doors
It has been a challenge to make a decision on these...
giwaters
Chinese Granite?
I've been reading a lot on the net on how Chinese granite...
Anne
What to put on large empty kitchen wall?
We have a large empty wall in the kitchen that I want...
lackscreativity
Sponsored Products
Solid Wood Handwork Carving Floor Lamp with Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Flood Lights. 110 Degree Motion Sensing Security Light - Gray
$12.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Blossom Light Green/Multi 8 ft.
Home Depot
Foscarini | Diesel Fork Piccola Suspension Lamp
YLiving.com
Serena & Lily Beacon Sconce
Serena & Lily
Trans Globe 13515 ROB Flushmount - Rubbed Oil Bronze - 15W in. - 13515 ROB
$53.00 | Hayneedle
AVIR Double Suspension
Lightology
Chandelier
Lightology