Wrong cabinet color
saracharaf
We are building a new house that has taken forever to fi
saracharaf
Sorry hit the wrong button.
So we are building a house and got the wrong kitchen cabinet color. It says on the cabinets that it is cappuccino which is what we ordered however it is not the cappuccino they showed us in the showroom. I paid $3000 to upgrade and get the kitchen I want. Builder said final walkthrough is October 8 and there is nothing they can do at this point since "we got what we signed off on" I attached some pics the first is the one they installed and the second is what I wanted and what they showed me
October 2, 2013 at 3:00PM   
torreyhills
Wow, I would be very angry. was it possible that the showroom "cappuccino" was mislabeled? Regardless, I'm a little confused by the timeline you describe. How did it get so far as you are near your final walkthrough and only now you are questioning the color?
October 2, 2013 at 3:13PM   
indianpatti
I would tell them you will not sign off on final walkthrough! If you do not sign, they will not be paid their last installment.

That's BS .. and they know it!
October 2, 2013 at 3:16PM   
Brenda
Who was the interface with the cabinet supplier? You or your builder?
October 2, 2013 at 3:19PM   
JRH76
Those aren't the same cabinets either, the detail is totally different.
October 2, 2013 at 3:19PM   
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
We always put a quick note to verify our experience: Brigitte and I have consistently designed between 70-90 kitchens/year for over 34 years. We've literally designed thousands of kitchens. We also design/build full structural including below-grade foundation plans.
Anyway, this makes no sense whatsoever. We agree with the timeline mentioned above but neither of your images are "Cappuccino". We have over 20 name-brand cabinet lines. "Cappuccino" is a dark brown color. See our page and look at "Dado" (island), "Miha"
and "Pearl" (island). These are "Cappuccino". Agree with above that the Showroom display must have been mismarked from the facts you've given.
October 2, 2013 at 3:31PM   
saracharaf
Well Lafta Cabinets are the manufacturers and they are satin that both are cappuccino. I did pick a different style cabinets but it's the color that I wanted.
Regarding the time, this house has gone through all kids of delays. They broke ground October 2012. Up until 2 weeks ago the house was had nothing inside. It was just a frame and brick from the outside. We went through hell and back with this builder until finally the whip was out and they started working on the house. They installed the kitchen 2 weeks ago but when I saw it the first time I though maybe it's because things are not done the color looks different. But now that everything is done, I know it's not the right one.
I talked to builder today and he said it is what it is, this is what you signed off on. I contacted Lafata, the manager told me to send him the pictures. I am pulling out a door of one of the cabinets and going to lafata tomorrow to show them that this is not a lighting issue, or an extra glazing because it's handmade!!!
What so you think I should do? Builder does not seem willing to do anything at this point!
October 2, 2013 at 6:42PM   
saracharaf
Brenda we went to lafata to pick the colors and do any upgrades but we paid the builder for any changes
October 2, 2013 at 6:47PM   
Angel18432
Have you been back to the kitchen people and looked again at what you picked?
Don't understand how they both are cappuccino.
October 2, 2013 at 6:51PM   
Brenda
wait and see what Lafta says.
October 2, 2013 at 6:52PM   
saracharaf
Yes we did and Lafata is saying that the one they have on display is 6 years old and is faded lol then they said its lighting and glazing and all sorts of other excuses
October 2, 2013 at 6:53PM   
saracharaf
I guess I will have to see what they will say tomorrow. This is just insane. I was so excited about the kitchen it was my major thing and had the image in my mind. So disappointed
October 2, 2013 at 6:54PM   
Angel18432
Is the picture on the right from the showroom? If so, it's nothing like the one on the left (in your house). I would speak with someone in management when you go see them.
It looks like someone may have made a mistake and are hoping you will take it.
Do you have to move to the new house, or can you wait it out, if need be?
October 2, 2013 at 7:00PM   
saracharaf
I wanted to move ASAP. This house is already 6 months behind so a couple more weeks won't hurt if I will get what I paid for. Yes he picture on the right is what thy have on display.
October 2, 2013 at 7:05PM   
torreyhills
I would be very disappointed as well. Not to make it worse for you but the one on the right is far more visually pleasing and expensive looking than the one on the left:( I like your idea of taking a door with you to your appointment. Good luck! Please let us know how it goes for you.
October 2, 2013 at 7:08PM   
saracharaf
Unfortunately jenny you are right! When we did the upgrade they told us that we got the most expensive color they have. However, we got the cheapest looking. This looks more like the standard maple. I will let you know what happens.
October 2, 2013 at 7:15PM   
Brenda
there is no way those are the same finish. it will be very interesting to hear what they say tomorrow when you put them side by side. stand you ground -- you are in the right here.
October 2, 2013 at 7:32PM     
Angel18432
Something is not right. When I look at the cabinet on the right, they have put what looks like grey colored backsplash with it. There is no way they would have put greys with the one on the left, 6 years ago it just wouldn't go. I looked this company up on the internet (in Michigan I believe) I'm sure they don't want bad publicity on this matter.
October 2, 2013 at 7:33PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
It should fall on the GC, if he was the point person for the cabinetry. Do not allow yourself to be pushed into anything against your original selection! Remember, you'll be living with whatever it is, the builder will be "down the road".
October 2, 2013 at 7:44PM   
Fred S
On their website that was done in 2005, the same showroom cabinets are picture #12.
http://www.lafata.com/kitchen.html

They look the same back then as they do now. Another picture of cappuccino is in picture #5.

Your cabinets look nothing like what is advertised in 2005 or on the showroom floor today.

Who is your contractor? Wouldn't want to do business with them either.
October 3, 2013 at 4:59AM   
Mary Dancey Interiors
If you don't get any satisfaction from the cabinet maker then contact a construction lawyer for further advice. Either way I wouldn't make the final payment until it has been resolved. The cabinet maker has a serious quality control issue so don't let them bully you, be aggressive and let everyone know you are not settling for this. Good luck.
October 3, 2013 at 5:21AM   
saracharaf
Ok i took the door and went to the showroom and guess what! It is the same one!!!!!! I guess they have some lighting effects in the showroom that changes the color I don't know. She even gave me a door from the cabinet in the showroom and we took both doors outside in natural light. They are identical!!! I was so surprised. Just thought I will update you. Thank you all for your feedback
October 3, 2013 at 2:33PM   
Fred S
What kind of lights do you have in your kitchen? Often, the wall color and floor color can also make a big difference in the look of the cabinets. What is your wall color? Some of these can be easy fixes. You may want to post these things before you put up a backsplash if it is not too late. Post them on this thread, so everyone can see the effect you are looking for.
October 3, 2013 at 2:47PM   
saracharaf
This is what we have now
October 3, 2013 at 6:19PM     
Fred S
No lighting yet can definitely make a difference. The low-e in the windows can effect the color as well. In the recessed, I would suggest using this trim if possible. http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/lighting/products/recessed_general_purpose_downlighting/incandescent/_6_inch_trims/_270275.brands.lighting!halo!recessed!downlighting!_6_inch!_6_incandescent_trims.html
Use a PAR30 halogen flood to help your color out. That trim is nice because it is air tight and won't hold dead moths. Any under cabinet lights should be daylight or cool color, just not too warm looking. If that isn't enough, try a standard "ceiling white" paint on the ceiling. But don't do too much changing until the permanent lighting is in. The cherry will keep the room to warmer tones as opposed to the island colors on their website. This brings out the brown more than the white in the cabinets. Because your lighting is "off" at the moment, it would be hard to comment on the wall color, but it looks to be toward the warm side. This could also effect the overall look toward the brown in the cabinets. I think I would wait on that till you live in it for a while with all your furnishing colors in the house and definitely try the ceiling color first.
October 3, 2013 at 8:21PM   
Angel18432
See if you can take down that 4" of backsplash - that's dating your kitchen already.
Sorry to bring this up so late, but you just posted the picture and it wasn't on the first picture.
October 5, 2013 at 4:02AM   
In addition to lighting, which I don't have expertise to help you with, you can make the cabinets "read" whiter by making sure there is no other true white in the same visual field--including the ceiling. We have ivory cabinets and an ivory backsplash, and when the walls and ceiling had the white primer on them the cabinets looked beige. Once we painted the ceiling and trim the color of the cabinets, and the walls a darker color for contrast, the cabinets looked off-white/ivory again.
October 5, 2013 at 4:26AM     
New cabinets are wrong color
Totally gutted our kitchen, one hitch. The white shaker...
Jim Bishop Cabinets are wrong color - how to fix?
So, we are in the middle of a renovation and the Jim...
HELP CUSTOM CABINET COMPANY MEASUREMENTS ALL WRONG!
Help my EXPENSIVE kitchen cabinet company made HUGE...
Wrong colour on kitchen cabinets
I am losing my sleep over a situation we're currently...
My colors went wrong
I originally decided upon the color herbe de provence...
need help chosing paint for kitchen
have stainless steel appliances, cesarstone linen counters,...
need help with exterior colors
traditional 1961 home needs style and modern look I...
open concept furniture
I am from scandinavia and I would love to incorporate...
Wall decor delima
Hi I have a wall in my family room which I am not sure...