Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msyo

msyo
12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I have exhausted all of my options to place my bed. Currently I have only 3 options with the latest being bed in front of the widow. My furniture is a bit bulky for the space. Would someone suggest placement ideas considering the scale of my furniture? I'm currently leaning to the bed in front of the window but the chest placement in a different location would make it feel somewhat "New". Just painted and ready to add the accessories after I figure out where things should go.

Comments (9)

• bepsf
    12 years ago
    Perhaps a floorplan or a few more photos would be helpful...
    ...but in general, it does seem that this overly furniture is overwhelming this small, simple space and is inappropriate for your house - I'd consider selling it and replacing with smaller-scaled pieces that are simpler and more appropriate.
  • jewelgirl
    12 years ago
    hi.try wall to wall fabric across the window wall and hide the small window. you could staple velcro to the waqll at cielig height, sew the other to the fabric for a cheap curtain rod. if there is an ensuite to the top left corner of the picture then dont put a side tale there and you should be looking good!
  • msyo
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have curtains and expandable rod to cover most of the wall. I have been researching the bed in front of the window and curtains to conceal the irregular walls. Working on the floorplan too. I thought I had one from the condo builder but can't find it.
  • tonirae29
    12 years ago
    Bed is too big for the room and so are the stripes on the bed - sell it - go to Ikea and get a platform bed and some cool storage options - get rid of those dressers, lamps, everything - start over.. that bed is gargantuan and that's what the struggle is.
  • msyo
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for your input, however, selling the bed is not an option. A queen bed is a queen bed(size). I prefer high beds and not sleeping centimeters above the floor on cardboard(Ikea furniture not an option). The picture is old and the room has since been painted. I have a newly designed closet and storage isn't an issue.
  • 7bts
    12 years ago
    its really hard to see the layout from this picture but i'd kind of take the negative of the big bed and make it into a positive by making the room all about a huge cozy bed...
    would the bed fit on an angle where the floor lamp is or in the opposite corner? i'd hang a really nice light fixture over the bed and have a floor to ceiling mirror leaning on one wall...i'd have big contrasting color pillows on the bed and make big window treatment to match the linen... basically my theme would be big and cozy with no room for anything else! ... good luck!
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    One assumes, if you've bought the bed you love and it's huge, that you don't plan on living in this space forever. Next bedroom will be bigger, no doubt.

Meanwhile, I really like the idea of hanging curtains across that entire wall with the window, but making it capable of being opened where the window is. I use closet poles which you can get cut to any length (usually $1/ft) and hang it from the ceiling instead of the wall. There's brackets out for that now.

THen I'd put the bed on that end wall, using the drapery as the backdrop and only one nightstand in front of the window. Houzz recently did an ideabook on beds in the corner that would be worth viewing. That might give you more room for that chest, and it won't look crowded. I have enough room in my bathroom for a chest; it's amazing how convenient that is!
  • msyo
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Great ideas with the curtains from the ceiling and the mirror to give the illusion of a bigger area. I bought the bed only and later bought the chest (both over 10 years ago). My next space will be bigger and the bed will go with me. I will review the ideabooks. I will get better pics and the floorplan.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    12 years ago
    Do you have to have the cross bars connecting the tops of the poles?
    Having drapes from ceiling to the floor, and, adding fabric wall paneling behind the bed will all help in making the over-sized bed fit the space better. Good Luck, if it were my bed - I'd sell it and get something more appropriate for the space - you can have the high bed, but posts are not a prerequisite.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH