Living room help
ahelton142
I've finally got living room painted . Where do I go from here? Curtains , sectional what next? What colors? Recliner will be going . Walls are bungalow gold. Room is 14 x 20
ahelton142
Please excuse satchel on dining table lol
October 3, 2013 at 4:53am   
leelee
Don't go with a sectional. Too hard to decorate around. Half of the dilemmas on Houzz are about sectionals--go with a sofa and two matching chairs. Far easier to arrange. Won't go out of style. Your furniture is very traditional and won't look good with a sectional.
October 3, 2013 at 5:20am   
ahelton142
What colors would you suggest? I've very traditional ! Accent colors. Curtains or blinds . Any other suggestions or furniture placement help. We will eventually put a tv in this room. Right now we only have one in the den
October 3, 2013 at 5:25am   
ahelton142
Anyone have anymore suggestions? My brain is tired !
October 3, 2013 at 6:19am   
I agree with one sofa and two chairs. If you plan to watch tv here, swivel chairs can be more flexible when you want to rearrange. If that large cabinet with mirror is TV center, then group your seating around that focal point. Float the seating in the center and use the outside walls for casegoods and art. Plan for floor to ceiling stationary drapery panels at the windows with a fiber roman shade underneath. Are foyer and dining staying the same color?
October 3, 2013 at 6:55am     
ahelton142
Yes staying same color. I've painted those also . Been busy lol
October 3, 2013 at 7:13am   
ahelton142
What color for drapes. I'm traditional but wanting to try new things.
October 3, 2013 at 9:26am   
ahelton142
I get what your saying about sectional . I will definitely put that to rest . I've never had one thought it would be different but I see what your saying . More ideas?
October 3, 2013 at 11:43am   
It's a good size room, but not knowing if a TV is going in makes it harder. So you want a traditional room? I like wall color. Works round that. Remove all items from wall. Remove all furn that is not staying. You need a clean slate. I would get a faux Firepl in dark cherry wood. Place where black chest is now. If at some point you want a TV you have a place. On windows. Go a cream roman shade. And chocolate panels. Very full. On a black rod. Over fire pl a gold tone sunburst mirror 36". I totally disagree re sectional, in a room this size, it just makes sense. I would do a traditional L shape. Place facing FP. Get left side return. Add 2 chairs wing back in a print. Side by side small round table between with back to entry. Put black cabinet, you have on wall with group pics. Over sofa, 2, 24x24 dark wide frames, picture hung 7" above top of sofa. 3" apart. Colors like gold, creams, browns, in them. Add reclaimed wood end tables big 20" on ends of sofa add. Very big lamps with chocolate shades with cream base. Sofa go a taupe color, and add cream and chocolate print pillows mixed with gold like walls. Chairs chocolate with a cream print. Table between in dark wood. Add 3 tall pots in cream to table. Coffee go a big ottoman 36" square or round or go dark wood 36" ottoman in a chocolate. If a place for chandler that can hang over coffee go a black rod iron. With cream shades. On firepl add 2 very tall 17-20" but narrow lamps, in gold tone base and cream shades. on each end of firepl. Nothing else. Your entry needs help. Table there is too modern for room. Replace, with 2 tall 6 ft floor mirrors in reclaimed wood and lean on wall with 6-7" between them. Add a big palm in corner by window. And entry wall. Take pic from entry looking into this rm. there may be room for a chaise coming out from wall towards sofa by firepl. Get a big one in dark br leather , with nailhead, tufted. Place a big floor plant next to it.
October 3, 2013 at 12:23pm   
Forget chaise to big. Just leave rocker there but pulled towards sofa more. A very small accent table next to it. Then is that a dining area there. Can we see.
October 3, 2013 at 12:25pm   
Or if you don't want mirrors in entry put that chest you have in corner out there with a rectangles mirror hung vertically. Add yr pitcher and bowl but nothing in it. No fake flowers. If using a table for coffee over a Ottoman add big books and candles to it.
October 3, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Or use your black mirror over it. Black Chest too high for mirror. Try to use what you have so don't have to buy so much. Change fabric on rocker to a stripe with brown and cream.
October 3, 2013 at 12:30pm   
In corner where oak chest was add big palm in ceramic pot in black.
October 3, 2013 at 12:31pm   
ahelton142
Yes dining room is 12x14. Hate sheets in there just took them down . Lol
October 3, 2013 at 12:40pm   
ahelton142
October 3, 2013 at 12:44pm     
Remove all family photos they belong in a bedroom. Don't put anything on those walls.
October 3, 2013 at 12:46pm   
From what I can see, dining room looks good.
October 3, 2013 at 12:47pm   
ahelton142
Sheers lol not sheets. The foyer is not wide enough for the chest I tried lol but will try again I have a mirror that matches the chest . I have a cherry fireplace (electric) in our bedroom . Could move it to living room it's not very large .
October 3, 2013 at 12:47pm   
ahelton142
What about this
October 3, 2013 at 1:09pm   
ahelton142
Guess u didn't try it here lol just everywhere else in the house trying to figure out what to do with it. Always helps to have another set of eyes . I know chest to high for mirror I kept asking people and they say no it looks fine. I didn't think so.
October 3, 2013 at 1:12pm   
Dining rm nice. I would replace light with a big black and antique gold with black shades with some crystals . Hang 36" from top of table. Yours is too high. See lamps you have on Buffett. That is what I meant for firepl. Remove small pic . You have enough in
room.
October 3, 2013 at 1:14pm   
Add panels to window ends. A pearl white satin.
October 3, 2013 at 1:15pm   
ahelton142
What small pic are you referring too. The one over the small table in corner?
October 3, 2013 at 1:16pm   
ahelton142
In the dining room? Take down sheers and add pearl white satin panels instead?
October 3, 2013 at 1:17pm   
Ok chest to small. move to wall I said put black chest on. Move black to entry.center. Is firepl same size as chest.?
October 3, 2013 at 1:18pm   
ahelton142
I plan on painting fixture in dining room! I can put shades on the one there
October 3, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Add mirror that goes to chest over it. Vertically.
October 3, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Pic in dining rm black frame. Add panels to sheers.
October 3, 2013 at 1:20pm   
ahelton142
Oh now your asking a lot lol black chest is extremely heavy . Solid cherry !!! Will not fit in foyer. Fireplace is a lot smaller than black chest
October 3, 2013 at 1:20pm   
But can you make light hang down to 36" above table? Spray paint it matte black. Add dark red shades.
October 3, 2013 at 1:22pm   
How long is entry wall and floor space ?
October 3, 2013 at 1:24pm   
ahelton142
Black is a foot taller and foot wider than fireplace. Foyer 5x10 but has double doors at one end
October 3, 2013 at 1:32pm   
ahelton142
Black is 50x53 inches and front door opens in also
October 3, 2013 at 1:33pm   
ahelton142
This is fireplace. Was going to put tv on in bedroom
October 3, 2013 at 1:40pm   
ahelton142
Just measured dining room fixture it is exactly 36 inches above table
October 3, 2013 at 1:40pm   
Ok then. Maybe just need something.
October 3, 2013 at 1:43pm   
The fireplace would work in family rm. on wall where black is. Just trying to get a focal point dn stairs. Little chest entry can you center. wall mirror too small. Do you have a bigger one somewhere.?
October 3, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Take the plant stand and other corner table in dining and put in living r, in corner where chest was. Add a tall plant like a fern to table. Dinging rm has enough.
October 3, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Pic on both walls in dining rm. do you have a 4 th? If so could group over chest in entry. Or group using mirror. I wish I lived by you I would just come over and do it. I spend a lot of time on getting accessories right. Furn is the easy part.
October 3, 2013 at 1:53pm   
ahelton142
This is only other mirror I have .
October 3, 2013 at 1:54pm   
ahelton142
So do I . Lol
October 3, 2013 at 1:56pm   
ahelton142
I really think this is all foyer can handle . When front door is open it's about 4 inches away. But I like this better. Now what to do with these columns my poor mother bought me that I HAVE to use !
October 3, 2013 at 2:00pm   
ahelton142
I have two matching recliners like the one in the pic. I could get covers for them and use in living room ? With sofa. I have a den that's larger than living room with a big fireplace ! I can't get that room to suit me either lol
October 3, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Put recliners in other room. Get wing back for this room.
October 3, 2013 at 2:26pm   
Better on mirror. But center chest more. Place rug in front of it.
October 3, 2013 at 2:28pm   
On columns do you have a basement. Why did she buy you modern when your house is clearly antique? Just tell her they don't work. Ask if she wants to have them?lol
October 3, 2013 at 2:30pm   
ahelton142
No basement lol and I'll have to do something with them lol she's very sensitive lol
October 3, 2013 at 2:32pm   
Is black cabinet meant to hold a TV. If so just leave it. Take away mirror. And lamp add 3 tall pots in various heights. To end, make pots a color like tea and cream.
October 3, 2013 at 2:34pm   
ahelton142
Yes it holds tv but not one in there wanted a big flat screen
October 3, 2013 at 2:37pm   
ahelton142
Ok now . What do I do with this mess lol my den
October 4, 2013 at 12:58pm   
ahelton142
I'm not opposed to moving things from one room to another. Unless it's the black cherry piece lol we have to know where it's going for sure!!!'
October 4, 2013 at 1:01pm   
ahelton142
I want to get tv off mantle and between back door and windows . I just can't figure out how to keep from blocking shelves and keeping fireplace focal point and everyone be able to see tv. HELP
October 4, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Help designing a small lounge room please!
Hi there I'd love any advice or ideas you might have...
Help want to remove wall
Want to open up dining room, living room, kitchen....
New shower in bathroom - solar tube?
Is there a way to make the light from a solar tube...
Solar Tube skylights
Has anyone had experience with Velux Sun Tunnels? I...
appropriate length of window panels for toddler's room
I am having a hard time deciding what length to go...