Finishing touches/changes to master bed
Tahia Lorenzo
This is my master bedroom. For better or worse (and pretty much pre-Houzz) furniture must stay. Reading chair will be re-upholstered in white. I'd be grateful for any decor and furniture arrangement suggestions. Thanks!
Tahia Lorenzo
More pics.
   October 3, 2013 at 5:44PM
Shoman interiors LLC.
Hi Tahia, Looks like you have such a big bedroom, which is good. I see lot of stuff spread around the room. We need to unclutter it first, Is there anyway you can hide the stuff that is around the TV? If you can't, get an enclosed shelf. That will help.
Let us talk about the bed area- the lamps are too small, and those wall scones are too high and too bright. There are too many pillows on the bed. I think you are using some of them as headboard, can you replace them with a simple tufted head board?
The picture on the wall is too small and too high. For bedding, you can use less pattern and light colored fabric and accent with bright colored throw pillows.
11 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:33PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks Shoman. Will start on your suggestions right away.
   October 3, 2013 at 6:59PM
Laurie
I do like your colors and pattern on the bed, and the way the wall behind bed is painted an accent grey color. Am I also seeing red in the desk, mirror and some of your organizers? Instead of spending money recovering chair, How about a headboard and lamps?The leather chair Looks fine to me as is, maybe a throw pillow would brighten it? And for your TV cabinet, agree about de puttering and rearranging, might look more substantial if you glued or staple gunned black foam board behind tv and shelves, then your wall color would not show through. You are off to a good start!
5 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:11PM
I would eliminate the TV stand and use the dresser/desk left of the bed for TV. Then center the bed and bed side tables on the wall so things balance. Re-wire to lower sconces above the tables. Screen off the office/reading/storage area from the sleeping area. That area by the window probably needs to be re-thought and organized for your "office" from what I can tell. Would you post more pix of that area?
5 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:22PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Miss, yes, red file cabinet and some metal baskets on desk. Oops! The chair is already being reupholstered in white with a more streamlined design. There will be a headboard, white upholstered in the same pattern as the chair. When that gets installed, I'll lose the three large pillows. I like the idea of making the TV stand "solid." Thanks.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:44PM
sar555000
Definitely get rid of the grim flat bedding and clutter. Way too much brown. Look for a brighter duvet cover, and a fluffy insert (doesn't have to be expensive). Stick to a solid or soft neutral or white, to make it easier to change out pillows & decor. Put a contrasting throw or blanket with some pop across the foot of the bed. Get some window coverings - inexpensive panels in a semi-sheer will add softness (white reflects more light around the room). Can't quite tell what color the nightstands and dresser are. But paint out the TV stand and bookcase with a spray paint that will cover plastic if it is laminate, or use a shellac-based spray primer and any eggshell or semi-gloss paint. White is a good neutral and will help other colors stand out. Put a simple skirt around the bottom of the TV stand if budget is an issue. It can be held with self-stick/removable Velcro fasteners (check any hardware store). Your rug seems too small, and a little dull. If you have the money, check discount home stores for something bigger and lighter. Put a big mirror, or several smaller ones, or maybe 2-3 large same size colorful posters in inexpensive frames, over the bed (illusion of headboard). If you can't move the sconces, put them on a dimmer. That's relatively easy to do. As noted by another person, you need lamps that are a lot taller (24" minimum). OR you can get a couple of plug-in, wall hung swing-out lamps for light - saves table top space. The Swedish big box store is a terrific source of inexpensive storage, lighting, accessories, or just visit their website for ideas. I wouldn't recover the chair. Too expensive and it looks nice as is. Maybe add a throw or pillow to it?

Rearrange the stuff on the TV stand to be more symmetrical and "designed". It looks lopsided. Good luck - if you look at Houzz pictures you see tons of ideas - find one you like and copy it.
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 7:46PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Deco, would you explain "trade out TV stand / dresser?" Does this mean get rid of them altogether? I could move the dresser to the guest room but the TV stand would have to go.

Although I like the idea about screening off the office area, I worry about losing natural lighting, since that window is the only source of light. What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestion on the rewiring.

Deco and miss, any suggestions or pics of table lamps?

Here are more pics. The black chair is there temporarily while the other one is being reupholstered.
   October 3, 2013 at 7:55PM
LB Interiors
I would use the desk that is on the left side of the bed as a TV stand. I don't think you need the TV unit that is there. That is, if you are not using that desk as a desk. Looks like the other desk is being used.

I would store or declutter the books on the bookcase. Place all the decorative printed boxes neatly arranged in the bookcase. Maybe add a couple of decorative items to it too.

The single wood chair looks lonely. Is there a reason for it in the room? You need larger lamps and get a dimmer for the sconces as others have said.

Maybe paint the tops of the nightstands red. Maybe red reupholstery for the chair seat near the red file cabinet.

I like your comforter but would add a fur white throw. I think you need brighter accent pillows (red) on the bed. Keep the white ones. I liike the small carpet there, to separate the bed area and the office space.

I would buy some cork panels and wrap fabric around them to create a headboard.

I would add window treatments on the window.

I would like a wallpaper on the bed wall. Maybe something like this
Magnolia Flower Branch Decal

Or this...
Clarence House Flowering Quince Wallpaper
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:20PM
I edited my first comment to be clearer. Get a translucent screen like shoji so light will filter through. Most restful sleep is away from electronics - is it possible to make a quiet reading corner with a chaise and use another room in the house for office work and TV?
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 9:30PM
LB Interiors
deco, I just went up to your first commemt. to follow it. I'm sorry, did you mention the desk as a TV stand too. I'm sorry, Thinking alike again :)
   October 3, 2013 at 9:41PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, deco, for the clarification.
   October 4, 2013 at 6:23AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I would take out the clutter. I would find a nice place on another wall for the crucifix above your bed (not appropriate). and find some nice art grouping. That is a start...
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 6:27AM
Kelsey Warren
What about a DIY headboard? Also, I feel that something needs to be done with the TV area....seems unorganized/busy with the boxes above the TV. You mentioned needing table lamps? Here are a few suggestions: Carlton Table Lamp
Crystal Table Lamp, Platinum Shade
Contemporary Antique Red Apothecary Table Lamp
Metal Table Lamp, Chrome
3 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 10:03AM
Kelsey Warren
And I agree with sar555000 about getting new bedding...Target's new home line has some really nice duvets for pretty good prices!
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 10:06AM
Drapery Connection
Have you considered an upholstered headboard to compliment the pillows? Drapery Connection doesn't only do window treatments, we also do custom bedding and headboards.
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 11:36AM
Laurie
Tahia, what kinds of things are you storing in all those patterned storage boxes and the stuff on top of your nightstands? Could some of it be decluttered OR put into under-bed organizers that you could stash out of sight? That would give the room a lift without costing you anything. And next time you are purchasing a blanket or sheets for the bed, think about a color other than grey...maybe red or cream or some other color you like that goes with both red and grey...a turquoise or teal blue, a nice yellow...something to cheer you! :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 8:24AM
Laurie
And that cream colored desk to the left of your bed, that is really looking sad (sorry); can you relocate it to another room, maybe or into a closet? Do you own a dresser? That would look so much better there, with your red mirror over it but hung more at eye level over the dresser. Thoughts?
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 8:31AM
Tahia Lorenzo
OK, de cluttered as much as I could and moved the dresser to the TV wall. Problem now is what to do with the wall left of the bed, as well as a spot where hubby can lay his stuff after work. Help!
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:35AM
Tahia Lorenzo
Miss, need the desk there, although I'd love to be able to put the dresser, just as you described. :-( thanks for the bedding suggestions, as well as the under bed storage. Will do this weekend. :-)
   October 5, 2013 at 11:39AM
Tahia Lorenzo
More pics, of the empty wall.
   October 5, 2013 at 12:08PM
LB Interiors
Thanks Tahia for trying the new ways of using the deorative boxes and using some decorative items mixed in the bookcase. You did a great job! Looks so nice!
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 12:18PM
Laurie
I agree! The bookcase looks SO much better organized, and the TV looks better already where you have it now. What kinds of space for what things does hubbie need? Mine has keys, wallet, watch, stuff like that? Or bigger items?
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 9:38PM
Laurie
More lamp ideas, btw. Try to imagine these shapes, they are 26" tall to maybe 28" (LB, too tall or just right?) and the colors against your grey wall and next to your new white headboard!
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 9:44PM
LB Interiors
'misslaur' I think they might have to be 31" + . It all depends on the height of the nightstands.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 9:57PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks LB and miss. Loooove the lamps, and the night stands are low, so I'll look for taller ones. Hubby stores wallet & keys, & stuff like that too. Oh, and any ideas on that empty wall? Red mirror now looks lopsided to me but need the mirrored shoe cabinet where it is so I can use it as a mirror. Thanks again, guys.
   October 6, 2013 at 6:39AM
LB Interiors
Try laying on the bed as if reading a book. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the top of the nightstand to ... where the bottom of the lamp shade will be. Eye level so that you don't get light glare. That is the measurement you want when you shop for lamps. Hope that helps :)
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 3:09PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, LB, just measured and, yes, your advice helps. Now, a pic of the dresser/TV stand. Suggestions on how to refinish or paint. Also should the wall stay white?
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 3:46PM
Laurie
Since storage is an issue, I would love to see you prioritize replacing this piece of furniture with something more substantial and maybe a little taller to give you more drawer space. With the drawers going all the way across the width of the piece, you know? If that is absolutely out of the plans, then repairing the broken drawer and missing knob would help! Where I live you can get wonderful finds for next to nothing at used furniture stores like goodwill or other; or if you can afford to buy new, even a black laminate dresser or highboy (slightly taller usually) could give your husband more space to put his stuff. I have never painted laminate furniture before so cannot advise on that. Sorry!
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 6:16PM
LB Interiors
Inexpensive approach for the dresser under the TV. To cover the center of the dresser. If you can't replace it ,'misslaur used dresser', or .....
# 1 ... is to cover the center with a fabric. Use an old curtain, dress, scarf, any fabric that you have (one that is not sheer), If you prefer a flat panel, 1 " wider than the width. If you want soft shirring, about 2ce the width of the opening.

Purchase a small tension rod (adjustable) at any hardware home improvement store. About $5. Measure the width of the space. Some are average 18--28" wide and adjustable for a custom fit. Not sure the width is 18" + ? You can glue the rod pocket to slide over the rod and the hem with fabric glue, or iron on fabric glue tape at a fabric store.

# 2 ... If that doesn't work for you, you can cut a 'pvc' pipe and use closet pole brackets to hold the rod. Use fabric the same way. Craigslist also is great for finding used furniture.

# 3 ... If that doesn't work for you, you can buy one curtain panel and cut it the height of the opening, using the same mounting rod options above. To hem the fabrics, for a quick fix, you can staple the hem.

1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 1:03PM
LB Interiors
To refinish laminate. Sand real well, just enough to dull the shine. Prime and paint. There are paints with primer and paint in one can. Follow directions on the paint can. After completely dry. Spray with a varathane or varnish for the protective finish. Options are flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss finishes. I think there are spray cans for laminate or plastic surfaces in the hardware stores too.
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 1:10PM
LB Interiors
Another inexpensive option to cover the opening on the TV dresser. You can cover a thick cardboard or thin strong stiff panel with a poster, wrapping paper, or wallpaper scrap. Spray adhesive to attach it to the board. Cut it large enough to wrap around all 4 edges. Use the rod options above. Add ribbon tab top loops or cording to the top of the board. Staple them to the board. This will allow you to swing the panel up to get to the storaged items.

You can use this these methods on fabrics also
Tab top loops
50 x 84 Embroidered Plaid Geometrical Tab Top Window Cotton Curtain Panel

Clip rings
Window Treatments - drape clip rings
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 1:26PM
LB Interiors
To add more storage above the TV, you can use wall hung cabinets.
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 2:54PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Wow, LB, great ideas! Thanks. Will do changes weekend coming up and post. :-)
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 3:14PM
LB Interiors
Thank you Tahia. Happy to help! Interested to see what you decide!
1 Like   October 7, 2013 at 4:39PM
Tahia Lorenzo
OK, so here's the progress. Done: painted chest and night stands, hung red mirror over bed, and moved Crucifix to side wall where black mirror was. Pending: backboard for bed (carpenter hasn't showed up), table lamps (haven't quite found what I'm looking for, especially meeting height). I will get a new chest and night stands eventually but that will have to wait until I finish shopping around. THANKS to you contributors who have changed my home - room-by-room. Still open for suggestions.
3 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 2:52PM
oh2livewell
Didn't read previous posts, but beefing up on your bedside and wall decor would go a long way. Thrift stores are overrun with inexpensive lamps. paint anyone? Red dot specials in every home improvement store. Wall paint too, if you open minded. I support the need for a large bright friendly art piece over the bed, also. Seriously, you could make your own with out df the box creativity. Party streamer art if you're seriously strapped. Glue, canvas, trim paintbrush and streamers. Make your own masterpiece. gives u texture color, form, depth. Monotone, multicolor. Wrap in all the way around the back of the canvas. No frame needed. You can do a grouping. Whatever. Go for it. Bring on color and think BIG!
1 Like   October 10, 2013 at 3:18PM
Laurie
OMG, Tahia, the bedside tables and TV stand desk look so much better, and your reupholstered white chair, and I think you changed out some of the grey pillows for white ones...what a difference! Lifts up the entire spirit of the room, don't you agree? Wow. Hope your husband agrees (and hope he is not wandering around, wondering where did he put his keys and wallet? LOL). You should be proud of the changes you've made. Enjoy your new space.
2 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 7:37PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, misslaur (& LB) for your suggestions and encouragement. Will shop during the weekend for table lamps, accent pillows, and other finishing touches you all suggested.
2 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 7:46PM
LB Interiors
Thanks Tahia, I'm so happy that you're happy !!!!
2 Likes   October 10, 2013 at 10:18PM
Laurie
Tahia, if you like these lamps and they are in your budget, they are on sale right now at Wayfair, 2 lamps for $150, they are 31" tall and come in lots of colors: deep red, greens, yellows, whites etc. I do not work for the lamp manufacturer, either, LOL, but was looking for something else today and saw these. In case you were still looking: http://www.wayfair.com/Safavieh-Jenna-1-Light-Stacked-Ball-Table-Lamp-Set-of-2-LIT4090-FV23431.html?piid%5B%5D=9734921
3 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 6:20PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, miss. Just bought them. :-)
2 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 7:43PM
Laurie
Room by room you are turning your first house into a home. I love the way you've been repurposing or refinishing items where you can, too. Good for the budget and for the planet! Look forward to future updates from you!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 5:24AM
Maria Smith
Before you spend money on the upholstered headboard, check out Target's offerings. I purchased the Seville in parchment and am very pleased with the quality and design. Target's selection is quite expansive and the pricing can't be beat: http://www.target.com/c/beds-headboards-bedroom-furniture/-/N-5xtne#?lnk=gnav_furniture_7_5&intc=736565|null
3 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 12:08PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, Maria. Just ordered a solid upholstered headboard for $160,00. Wow!
2 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:01PM
Maria Smith
@Tahia....send a pic when you get it all set up, happy for you!!!!
   October 13, 2013 at 1:06PM
Tahia Lorenzo
OK, so the lamps from Wayfair finally arrived, and here they are on the night stands. I also painted the nobs on the credenza red. These lamps are combined with a gold finish and nothing else in the room is gold. Should I paint the gold parts silver?
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
Maria Smith
Can I just say that I love your puppy in the picture, Boston Terrier? I honestly did not notice the gold until I clicked on the pic, if it is bugging you paint it. The room is really coming together...might need some red shams to tie it all together.....
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 4:19PM
LB Interiors
They are perfect! I would paint if you don't like it. Otherwise what does it matter. I would add a couple of red print pillows on the bed. I think I would like the corners of the room empty. It looks a bit stuffed on both sides : ) Red knobs are a great tie in.
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 7:16PM
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks, Maria & LB. Oops, forgot to place red pillows (2) and throw. I took them off for puppy play time. (Yes, he's a six-month-old Boston Terrier). I'll see where I can store the corner stuff since that's been the assigned place for puppy toys and supplies but thanks for the advice, LB. You're always right on the button.
2 Likes   November 13, 2013 at 7:21PM
Laurie
Looks great! Cozy, uncluttered, some pops of color and everything flows now. Enjoy your room!
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 7:51PM
Maria Smith
If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's near you - or even Target ...check floor storage options for your puppy's toys, I see a wide woven basket in lacquer red or black . . . . .
1 Like   November 13, 2013 at 8:34PM
Master bedroom - need finishing touches
I need help from amazing Houzzers on curtains and lamps...
Finishing touches - living room and master bedroom
I've just finished a major reno and need help with...
Need help with finishing touches for Master Bedroom!!
Would like opinions/thoughts about night stands, art...
Need help with Master bedroom finishing touches
I can't decide what to put on the walls. The window...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Help with lighting in kids bath
I am redoing my kids bath and trying to decide on placements...
Bathroom update
My bathroom has the two toned gold and silver faucets...
Protecting new cabinetry during final construction
I just had some beautiful new kitchen cabinets installed...
Need help with paint colors
I picked out Benjamin Moore Spanish Olive for my living...