Vertical blinds or drapes?
audreybafi
We have floor to ceiling sliders throughout out condo. We currently have vertical blinds and are looking to replace them. Are vertical blinds passé? Should we opt for sheers and drapes? We get a lot of Western facing sun in the afternoon and evening so we need some protection.
janeinfo
Personally, I don't like vertical blinds, but that's a personal choice. I think with your formal dining set, simple ceiling to floor cream colored linen panels would be elegant. You didn't ask, but I think a large statement piece on your table would complete the look. Of course, I have no clue what that would be. I love your dining set.
October 3, 2013 at 6:53pm   
audreybafi
Thank you Jane, I have been struggling with finding an appropriate lager center piece for our table. I don't know exactly what to do, but thanks for your input!
October 3, 2013 at 6:57pm   
abbyjean
Your beautiful home and you deserve more than vertical blinds. Would it be possible to get that special sun film to put on the glass to protect you from the rays and then have the panels? Sheers would hide the windows and they make such a statement in your home.
October 3, 2013 at 6:59pm   
pegonia1
Yes, vertical blinds are passe, especially with the rest of the room looking so nice.
October 3, 2013 at 7:02pm     
UV film today is very high tech and effective. Maybe some sheer romans will let you see out and admire the architecture of the windows. Use with the film for protection.

October 3, 2013 at 7:10pm     
Sue Geddes
These may be of interest ... Just a thought
October 3, 2013 at 7:44pm     
lsanchezshad
Beautiful window. Definitely get rid of the vertical blinds. Get UV film and some drapes.
October 3, 2013 at 7:48pm     
Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
Drapes all the way...give it some texture and color on that wall. Vertical blinds are a builder look not a custom home look.
October 3, 2013 at 7:57pm     
They should not be allowed to sell vertical blinds .go a roman shade with panels on ends. Can't tell what color you have?
October 3, 2013 at 8:27pm     
Sorry it's a slider. Do panels only on ends.
October 3, 2013 at 8:28pm   
LB Interiors
I am putting my neck out here. I still like verticals in some situations. For me, they are the BEST for light control and ease of operation. Granted most commenters will disagree. I believe that if function comes first, I would disregard what is the only current TREND for window fashions of today. Verticals allow you to control the sun and still affords a lot of light into the room. South facing and sliders everywhere. Some windows behind a sofa, creates some difficulty in opening and closing unless you use traverse rods. There are some nice woven verticals that have great textural patterns.

Another option is wide flat panel window treatments like this bamboo

October 3, 2013 at 8:39pm     
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
Agree with LB, Sliding panels are very contemporary.

October 4, 2013 at 9:33pm     
Sandra Gabbard
I would also agree with vertical panels
October 4, 2013 at 9:58pm   
JMittman Designs
Sliding panels, or ripplefold sheers would be my choice. I would not do functioning curtain panels--way to much fabric to deal with for stackback etc.
October 5, 2013 at 3:53pm   
lmerci
Hunter Douglas has a beautiful product called Silhouette® window shadings. These would look beautiful on your windows. I have them in my foyer and they look stunning! The Hunter Douglas site can give you some ideas.
October 6, 2013 at 5:28am     
Genie Mancini
I would entertain the idea of a motorized roller shade to address the issue of sun control and flank the opening with stationary drapery panels to soften the treatment as a whole. You will need to make sure you have adequate clearance for mounting.
Hope this helps!
October 6, 2013 at 6:59am     
dclostboy
I put solar film on my south facing floor to ceiling windows. New formulations do not distort views and I ended up saving $300 a month during the summer.
October 6, 2013 at 7:16am     
Creative Drapery & Decor
I am a drapery person and love fabric so I would suggest panels. Fabric adds softness, warmth, texture and color. Use a ripple-fold system mounted high above window or on the ceiling. This style would compliment your furniture and interior space. You might like a linen fabric for some texture or use a heavier sheer fabric to give you some softened light.
October 6, 2013 at 1:55pm   
abbyjean
dclostboy....if you see this, I would love to know which film you used and if you did it yourself. Thank you!
October 6, 2013 at 8:45pm   
newgardener
Anything but vertical drapes!
October 6, 2013 at 10:31pm   
dclostboy
Abbyjean, I went with the latest 3M. It was relatively expensive, but will pay for itself in 2 summers. Drastic change in temperature in south facing rooms.
October 7, 2013 at 3:08pm   
abbyjean
GREAT info! Thank you! Love buying things that pay for themselves and 2 years is not bad at all.
October 7, 2013 at 3:11pm   
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
How to keep cost down building a home?
We are in the process of deciding if building is a...
Front Entry Foyer
I would like to update our front entry. I have removed...
remodelling query
"Hello! Just bought my first home and wish to remodel...
Need help with pantry
Is it posible to order the Pantry Pull Outs? What...