Oak kitchen cabinets HELP what to do stain or paint?
rafigs
We just moved into our house about 6 mos ago. Out forever home...so have limited money to make it completely my style...our house has oak trim and wood floors all OAK...I do love wood but tired of all the orangey wood color... Any ideas, pics feedback appreciated!! Thank you in advance! I have attached several pics...granite countertop, trim, and layout
Nancy Walton
There is a blog by Cyndy at http://www.thecreativityexchange.com/?s=kitchen which has some ideas on paint for kitchen cabinets. Great colors...
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:45PM
Nancy Walton
Probably Rockport Gray or Iron Mountain would look good with your granite.
2 Likes   Thanked by rafigs    October 3, 2013 at 7:46PM
Nancy Walton
Or the Gettysburg Gray...
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:46PM
rafigs
This would be a project that I would be on my own since my husband is so dead against it..he loves wood..wood..wood as do I but I need it broken up a bit...I painted cabinets years ago but didnt like the brush lines and paint started chipping away a few years down the road? any specifics and or pics you could show me?
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:53PM
Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
Painting the cabinets will open the space up. Going for a white is a timeless look and clean. You could go with a color, but that becomes trendy and you would want to paint the cabinets again over the years. You could also stain it an ebony....I know it sounds too harsh, but coming from a professional whos done it all the black stained kitchens look very rich and stand out among all others.
4 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:53PM
rafigs
Also do you think the paint will look ok with the style cabinet doors we have?
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:54PM
Interior Archaeology
I don't mind your cabinet color all that much. I might suggest painting the walls a brighter color, look at Benjamin Moore Grand Teton White, and changing out the backsplash tile for a simple ivory or white subway tile would brighten things up immensely with much less cost.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:01PM
nikkimollica
I had the same problem in my house. We hired a professional to distress and paint the cabinets black. People are always commenting on how gorgeous my cabinets are now. The guy that did our cabinets took the doors to his workshop. First he filled in some of the grain on the wood. Any stain or paint you do on oak is going to show the grain unless you fill it in. He then primed and sprayed the cabinet doors, then finished with a clear coat. To distress, he nicked the wood a little and sanded the edges, this also prevented chipping and what not. 5 years and they still look gorgeous. Also new hardware can make a world of difference. This is a BIG job, hire a professional.
6 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:06PM
Maguire
Nice sized kitchen with high ceilings! Very nice. Doing it on your own! The wood grain will show through the paint, not good or bad, just letting you know. I agree that painting the walls and changing your knobs and backsplash, would really update the kitchen.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:06PM
rafigs
What type of stain Stefanie because i just tried that to our master bathroom cabinets are only 6 yrs old but also the same color oak..I spent prolly 14 hours roughly stripping, sanding, cleaning, also thought I didnt need gloves for the steel wool part..and i ended up trying 4 different stains and they would not soak in as dark as I wanted to get it (2 of them were jacobean, and dark walnut....so going to paint those as well now.. :( my husband joked at me and asked if it was worth it..and as all good women do I want to prove him wrong. :)
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:06PM
rafigs
we unfortunately already painted the entire kitchen and due to the high ceiling had to hire someone and not sure about a backplash because our granite countertop comes up as a mini backsplash. 4-5 inches up the wall
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:09PM
3 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:10PM
Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
As Nikki stated you can san and fill the grain and prime and stain or you could just paint a black. The stain is ebony. You need to strip the cabinets and then stain. A professional would be best in such a large space.
2 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:11PM
rafigs
so you think all types of paint will still show the wood grains?
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 8:12PM
coconuts1234
We installed the backsplash from the top of the granite "backsplash" to under the upper cabinets. It looks fine!

There is just something about a backsplash that finishes a kitchen...
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 8:14PM
rafigs
I liked the idea of black alot...Thank you so much for the feedback..what type of painter would I contact for this type of thing?
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 8:15PM
rafigs
These are my countertops so I think we could go with black and am waiting for them to install my roman shades for the kitchen which are like a chocolate brown with a little touch of black in them - open floor plan to my living room with an accent wall chocolate brown and a grey couch with burnt orange and black and white pillows I posted pics of this in a precious discussion...I'm trying! :)
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 8:20PM
mphilemon
Check out these colors
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 9:00PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
You can contact a qualified painter through houzz under local pros ask if they refinish cabinets or paint them ask for previous jobs they have done
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 9:23PM
gjackowski
I just used the Rustoleum Cabinet Refinishing product on my bathroom cabinets, which were oak like yours. It's an easy but time-intensive task, especially for a large kitchen. The cabinets turned out great and the finish seems very durable. If you do decide to use this product, make sure you read the reviews and comments from other people who have used it. They have lots of tips that make the process a lot easier.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:09AM
Lazzell Design Works
If you can't beat it join it! Work with the wood color and you may start to like it a lot.
]
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 7:03AM
Lazzell Design Works
The woodwork and cabinets are nice, but the tile and wall colors are not being friendly.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 7:08AM
Cindy Quinton
I have had a client who had a black glaze added to their wood cabinets and they loved it. It reads about like an ebony stain without the work needed to sand,, stain, and seal. I wanted to have my cabinets painted and then glazed, and the quotes were five and six thousand, so I did it myself.....I can't even explain how many hours it took me, lol!
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 7:18AM
Jamie Lariviere
My sister used a product called cabinet restoration by Rustoleum to redo her cabinets and it turned out amazing. It was around $80. They have several colors and treatments depending on what you are looking for. This is the link to their website with a few before and after photos. http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/testimonial-gallery.php
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 8:15AM
tsudhonimh
rafigs - the cabinets are prominent because they are the most intense color in the room - the rest is beige. So naturally you notice them.

Painting cabinets is possible, but getting GOOD results takes time and close attention ... and professionals tend to charge a lot, because of this. If the paint job is screwed up, there's no going back.

Be creatively lazy and try some other things first.

Painting the walls, changing the backsplash (adding tile above the granite), and adding some stronger decor elements would go a long way to minimizing the Great Wall of Oak.

check out this thread at Garden Webs famously obsessed Kitchen Forums:
Design Around 9: Keeping the Golden Oak http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1223260219606.html

Consider:
1 - Remove some cabinet doors (or replace with glass), paint the insides of the cabinet a bright color and have open shelving. You can test this with colored paper in a weekend at minimal expense.

2 - Paint the walls ... a good medium teal or greyed green might work. It sounds odd but an intense reddish persimmon color can also work.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 8:40AM
debd60
I agree with removing some cabinet doors and painting inside, probably the ones over the oven and fridge, install some inexpensive "undercounter" lights onto the top/inside of them and showcase some wonderful pieces. I would also change the backsplash and change out the hardware for something a little more modern and sleek, like the hardware shown in "Gracie Towhomes" in Maguires post above, at the very least, new hardware on the large drawers.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 12:39PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Not everyone has to paint their cabinets. But you could paint some of them, or take out the panels and add glass... get some rugs, put some stuff up on the tops, make it yours!
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 12:49PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Like mentioned above you can paint some and leave the others paint the lowers
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 12:51PM
Glass Tile Store
Paint is definitely your solution for a low-budget makeover, it's going to do wonder for allow cost--even just white paint can transform your kitchen into a newer looking, more updated and not to mention bigger looking.
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 8:21AM
Leslie
I would recommend using gel stain instead of paint. The previous owners at our house had the cabinets professionally painted before we moved in, and I hate the way the look. I can see the wood grain, they chip all the time, and they look DIY, even though they were done by a professional.

Since then, we have used gel stain to darken some of our bathroom cabinets, and I love the way they look. We used General Finishes Java Gel Stain, and it was very easy to apply. Here is an example of someone who just used gel stain in their kitchen - for $65! http://semidomesticatedmama.com/2013/08/beforeafter-kitchen-remodel-for-under-65.html
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 8:40AM
DesignHouse Inc - House Plans
You might consider having some black added to the trim as shown below along with replacing some hardware.
- http://images.meredith.com/kbi/images/2009/07/p_100035466.jpg
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 9:30AM
makennac
I love the distressed ebony finish idea. But please, please, please hire a professional. This is a tough job. Your kitchen is big, and two days into this project it's going to look twice as big. Been there, hated doing that. And I LOVE painting furniture. In addition, by the time you invest in all the stuff you'll need to DIY, you may discover that for about +/- 25% more a professional will do it correctly. Please be certain to get references and personally go to see a couple of kitchens the candidate(s) has refinished. (Eventually you might want to add some black trim to your Romans and choose an accent color, like burnt red or true olive or both, that you can pick up in your serve ware, linens and such. What fun!)
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 6:45PM
need help in kitchen : have oak cabinets and oak floors - paint or stain
my house is 12 yrs old and all the cabinets, trimand...
how do I paint over stained oak kitchen cabinets
my kitchen needs updating but cant afford new cabinets...
Help! What color to paint kitchen with oak cabinets and green counters
Please help! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed with all...
should I paint or stain oak kitchen cabinets to uodate?
we are trying to update our kitchen. we can't afford...
Can I paint oak kitchen cabinet a dark brown, not just w/ stain.
Can I paint my oak kitchen cabinets with a dark brown...
New living room
These are pictures of my new living room. I'd like...
Updating kitchen
can the wood cabinet panels be removed from this jenn...
Vinyl wallcovering or wallpaper for powder room?
We want to wallpaper our powder room... It's a room...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
view multi window treatments in 1 room
LR has 2 focal long windows in front and 3 on the side.I...