Should I paint my kitchen cabinets white with a glaze?
Lily Rose Staging & Redesign LLC
The cabinets are about 5 years old, I believe they are birch. I think painting them white with a glaze over them would really brighten up the room. I think white will make the counters pop more. There is also a rope inlay in the cabninets and I think the glaze would help make it pop. My plan is to keep the cabinets over and around the stove unpainted and the island unpainted. My only 2 fears are that I will retract value from the house by painting over the wood and that the paint job will not look like it came from the factory that way and the cabinets will be ruined. I have attached a picture of the kitchen, the cabinet detail and an example of what I am thinking of doing. What do you think???
jkhershey
It looks like it could be very nice. I have the same concerns as you about retracting value. Be sure to get good advice about prepping the cabinets before painting. there is nothing worse that a paint jog that chips and flakes! I would consider taking the doors off and having them done professionally. They get the hardest wear. Then you could do the frames yourself.
October 4, 2013 at 7:49AM      Thanked by Lily Rose Staging & Redesign LLC
Lily Rose Staging & Redesign LLC
Great idea. I have been getting quotes for doing the whole job and the prices are all over the board, but I may want to consider painting the frames myself.
October 4, 2013 at 7:52AM   
Erica M.
Mine are painted white/ glaze. They are almost exactly like the picture, countertop and all. They are hard to keep clean and a pain to touch up. I also think it is feeling dated. The previous owner did it. But it would be nice to have contrast with your floors . Maybe someone else can offer advice!
October 4, 2013 at 7:54AM      Thanked by Lily Rose Staging & Redesign LLC
Erica M.
Oh, I take that back, my counters are the same as the white pic. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
October 4, 2013 at 7:58AM   
I see you are a staging co. Is this for your house or a clients?
October 4, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Lily Rose Staging & Redesign LLC
This is my home.
October 4, 2013 at 8:04AM   
Are you planning on selling? Either way I do not think painting the cabinets in the white glaze that you have shown would de-value the house. It would make it more appealing to me as a buyer. Nice kitchen!
October 4, 2013 at 8:30AM   
Agree with leaving the cabinets as they are, which look quite nice even with that detail.
October 4, 2013 at 8:36AM     
indianpatti
I think it would look a lot nicer.

Wow! I've never seen a wreath hanging over kitchen cabs before
October 4, 2013 at 8:38AM     
dawnbc1
I think the most important thing you can do to update is take everything off the top of the cabinets and the wreath off the door. It's cluttered and dated where contemporary is more clean and ZERO dried flowers. I think your cabinets look great the way they are.
June 13, 2014 at 6:16AM     
rocketjcat
Old post. But I would be interested to know what Lily Rose ended up doing if she's still around. ( I hope she didn't paint the nice cabinets, and took off the wreath...)
June 13, 2014 at 6:34AM     
Diseño de cocina
Como incluir en una cocina una zona de parrilla y de...
Tile for bathroom floor
I have a very small bathroom. Only need 32 sq. ft....
need help on kitchen backsplash
cabinets are dark brown granite is white grey and...
Home office must haves!
What MUST you always have in your home office? List...
Uv cured oil finish vs polyurethane finish? Please help!
Installing new flooring in formal room, family room...