Help, I got the wrong rug!
ammks
The 13x16 rug I ordered for my bright white living room is a dusky blue with a lot of beige and brown. It's too expensive to send it back, how do I make it work in my living room? My furniture is also bright white.
Painting the walls would be a more economical route.
October 4, 2013 at 8:39am      Thanked by ammks
Amy Cali
Since its not going back, can you put it set it up with the furniture and post a pic? PS don't worry we can fix this with paint, art, window treatments and various accessories without breaking the bank. Can you clue us in on your aesthetic? Your rug choice is pretty traditional but not sure about the rest of your things.
October 4, 2013 at 8:43am      Thanked by ammks
Your whole room is neutral and your furniture is white - how can that rug be wrong? It looks good to me.
October 4, 2013 at 8:43am        Thanked by ammks
ammks
I like the white a lot, but it makes the rug look dirty. Is there any way I can tie in all that white with the rug through accessories?
October 4, 2013 at 8:43am   
ammks
I'll post a pic with the rug and my furniture in place when I get home from work, thanks :)
October 4, 2013 at 8:44am   
ammks
I wasn't thinking clearly and picked a traditional rug. I was overall hoping for a scandinavian look for the room above, open, lots of white, etc.
October 4, 2013 at 8:46am   
If you cannot return it, can you have it over dyed? [houzz=
]
October 4, 2013 at 8:48am      Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thanks charleee, I didn't even know that could be done, I'm going to look into that.
October 4, 2013 at 8:51am     
nyurcisin
You can definitely work with that rug. To soften all the bright white I would paint the walls on either side of FP a medium shade of that dusky blue in your rug, then add pops of white in your furnishings ie lampshades, pillows, etc. to tie everything together.
October 4, 2013 at 8:51am        Thanked by ammks
How about some paint that picks up on the rug? Maybe a couple of these shades - like Sensational Sand everywhere but the FP wall where you could use Foothills. Then pick up the blue with pillows and accessories, art, throws, etc.
October 4, 2013 at 8:54am        Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will post more pics tonight :)
October 4, 2013 at 8:58am   
Barnhart Gallery
Not to worry, you'll bring it all together. Only had five minutes, but wanted to show you your colors around the room. Blew up this vintage art from etsy, you'd choose your own of course. The art has many shades of white, from tones in your chairs to the beigey whites in the rug. http://www.etsy.com/listing/160012293/pair-of-vintage-watercolor-paintings?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=pair+paintings&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=all
October 4, 2013 at 9:31am      Thanked by ammks
Kelsey Warren
I like what @Barnhart Gallery ^^ did with the clock and artwork there....what about grabbing a vintage trunk as a coffee table (if you go the vintage route)?? You could draw the white in from the furniture...
Candelabra Home Vintage Canvas Trunk Table
Vintage Trunks
October 4, 2013 at 9:43am      Thanked by ammks
ammks
Here is a pic of my kitchen to give you an idea of the rest of the house...devoid of color :) The brown sofa table in the kitchen actually goes in the living room, but was parked there temporarily.
October 4, 2013 at 11:32am   
livindoll
Layer with dark accessories for contrast.
October 4, 2013 at 11:43am     
All the more reason to work the colors in from my earlier post.
October 4, 2013 at 12:11pm   
janeinfo
I LOVE white. That said, you might not like my opinion. However, I think your rug will go very nicely with bright white. I would leave my walls white as well. I would bring in color with blue, taupe, and maybe an occasional chili-red pillow. I like the abstract art mentioned above as long as it's HUGE. Also, would bring in "shiny" things that are silver. I like your kitchen too. I would get some light blue or aqua colored dishes and display them on your shelf over your sink. I would also get some baskets to go on the shelf under your island and fill them with cookbooks (spines- up). Then, I don't know if you have a wall for artwork in your kitchen, but I would do another abstract full of color to match above mentioned dishes. That's why I like white............when you get tired of blues, you can change to red, yellow, green.....the choices are limitless if you have a white pallet to work with.
October 4, 2013 at 12:18pm        Thanked by ammks
Shoman interiors LLC.
I was going to say what JANEINFO suggested. I feel the same, you can play with neutrals easily by adding bright color accessories. As some one suggested before, you could add little color to the walls, it doesn't have to be white. Bring some warm tones into the room. It depends how much daylight you get. If it is Northwest area I would add more warm colors to the palette. Right now I see white everywhere.
October 4, 2013 at 12:31pm      Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thanks for the ideas. Jane, do u think I could accessorize with bright orange and blue accents in the living room against the bright white background?
October 4, 2013 at 12:32pm     
janeinfo
Yes. Actually, I think as long as your colors go with the blue in your rug, you can use them.
October 4, 2013 at 12:33pm      Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thanks :)
October 4, 2013 at 12:40pm   
Amy Cali
I think this could end up being one of those good mistakes. I believe you will be able to turn your "oops" into a truly unique and eclectic space. I like your white walls and furniture (what I can see of the chairs anyway). I think that once you start layering in texture and bits of color it will look great. I would start by looking for some weathered grey wood and iron tables to help bridge the gap between the pristine white and the beige in the rug. Also, huge colorful art canvases and shiny chrome accents as Jane said.
October 5, 2013 at 11:05am      Thanked by ammks
No, you got a rug you love. It is usually best to begin your decorating with a rug choice.

So, keep going.

Begin with a piece of art you also love which has the colors of the rug and hang it over the fireplace. Now you have two pieces you love in the same tone.

Brown pillows on the white sofa.

Moshy 18-Inch Brown Decorative Pillows - Set of Two Flecks Of Spring Hand Painted Art
October 5, 2013 at 11:16am        Thanked by ammks
ammks
I love that painting :)
October 5, 2013 at 1:06pm     
ammks
Here is a pic of my living room with the rug put down. The furniture is against the walls to allow the rug to flatten out.
October 5, 2013 at 1:21pm   
ammks
And more pics.
October 5, 2013 at 1:33pm   
ammks
The rug kind of swallows the room :)
October 5, 2013 at 1:36pm   
janeinfo
I am not good with figuring out which wall is which, but I would try to arrange the sectional so that your two chairs sit side by side (so you see their backs when you walk in the front door). And then use your ottoman as a coffee table with a large silver tray or a large shallow basket. I love your furniture:) I think your room is going to be gorgeous!!! Don't think your rug is an "oops" after all.
October 5, 2013 at 1:39pm        Thanked by ammks
RosemaryR
The rug only "swallows" the room because it's against the wall, one you put it onto the rug, it will be fine. This will work, you've received great advice.
October 5, 2013 at 1:49pm      Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thanks jane :) I had a bit of a panic attack after I first unrolled the rug, but now with all the suggestions I think I can make it work.
October 5, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Amy Cali
Agreed - doesn't look like an oops at all. Its lovely and works just fine :)
October 5, 2013 at 7:41pm      Thanked by ammks
It's fine. Just add brown and blue accents and accessories. Some big art over firepl. Panels on windows in a dusty blue like rug. With a coffee table and furn you will hardly notice a rug.
October 5, 2013 at 7:50pm      Thanked by ammks
Paint firepl same blue. Add dark brown pots to mantel. And art.
October 5, 2013 at 7:52pm      Thanked by ammks
Poverty tall dark wood candle sticks 3" to hearth.
October 5, 2013 at 7:57pm      Thanked by ammks
I must be tried can't type. Meant to say 3 foot candlesticks.
October 5, 2013 at 8:02pm      Thanked by ammks
irhlb
Agree with many others. Do all your trim (including window and door trim) and fireplace in white and paint the walls a blue that complements your beautiful carpet (?Woodlawn Blue - Benjamin Moore) and find some art over the fireplace to bring all the colors together. Good luck, it's a great space!
October 5, 2013 at 8:20pm        Thanked by ammks
ammks
Thank you all for all of the great advice!
October 6, 2013 at 4:46am   
carolins
Love the rug, the colour of the walls and the furniture together. Beautiful!
October 6, 2013 at 4:59am        Thanked by ammks
I need help with my living room. What I tried went wrong!
I uploaded photos of my living room in the discussions...
I need help matching drapes to my daughters room. What I sewed is wrong!
I think the scale of this print is too large but don't...
Help! I picked the wrong color!
We're in the midst of a major home renovation and I'm...
Everything has gone wrong I need help!!!
Last year I started on a complete update of my family...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Living room unworkable?
I have two big teenage boys who like to watch TV with...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...