Is it possible to make ceiling tile look good?
bvanderholt
We have a mid century home with ceiling tile. I don't like the look of it but I also don't want to replace all the ceilings. Is there a way I could make it look better? Please any ideas would be helpful. :)
Brenda
can you post a photo?
October 4, 2013 at 6:04pm     
bvanderholt
This is the only picture I have right now as we are not at the house until Nov 1st. The walls are white now and the wall has a large modern picture above the leather couch. You can just see a corner of the ceiling in the picture. :)
October 4, 2013 at 7:58pm   
chambers1589
This doesn't answer your question but a lot of ceiling tile was made of asbestos. If you want to remove it at some point make sure someone tests it and don't just rip it out.
October 4, 2013 at 8:06pm   
joshuadovemastertilesetter
I agree and the answer is no. There is no was to make the kind of ceiling tiles you have look any better. I wish I could say there is but I've battled with this myself in a couple of remodels and I've found that there is no paint or texture to spray over them to make them look any better. Fresh start would be the best way if u can.
October 5, 2013 at 5:19am   
Genevieve
Sorry but that photo doesn't really show much of the ceiling, but if they are made with asbestos do not disturb them ,have a professional remove them and then use sheet rock .

To paint them would be a huge task and the tile itself would absorb the paint like a sponge ,but again it all depends what they are made of.
October 5, 2013 at 5:36am   
Removing the tiles would help increase ceiling height by a few inches. But first check what are the tiles hiding first.
October 5, 2013 at 5:48am   
debd60
You could probably use a heavy textured wallpaper to cover the tiles or just leave them if they are clean and painted and just spruce them up with some inexpensive wood strapping to create a beam like look. This link might give you some inspiration and explain what I am talking about http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpentry/ceiling-panels-how-to-install-a-beam-and-panel-ceiling/view-all
October 5, 2013 at 7:19pm   
HI -- Best thing you can do is just install some drywall over it all . Or have a T&G wood ceiling installed and finish it in a light or white washed tone . I would not attempt to remove or disturb the old tiles because of the possibilities .
October 5, 2013 at 7:34pm   
need help with my living room
I really don't have any idea for this place, I really...
Is bathtub a must in a master bathroom
We are redoing our master bathroom. 1) we can put...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
Help! What rug would work with my patterned curtains?!
Hello! I'm decorating my bedroom and I need to find...
Storage issue in bedroom
I want a modern set of wardrobes which has female and...