Can you stain hardi-plank to look like cedar?
csparkman78
We are in the process of building our house. We chose hardi, thinking we would use hardi shakes to make look like cedar. Due to our builder saying shakes are more expensive, we have stuck to original hardi. Can you stain hardi to look like cedar? I do not want to paint the house brown.
csparkman78
This is the house I've based ours off of.
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 11:09AM
m3459
You should be able to get hardiplank in a cedar color.
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
csparkman78
I hope so, as long as it doesn't look like brown paint.
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 11:47AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
You can faux paint hardie by spraying on a coat lightly and sponging away areas to lighten it in areas giving an appearance of cedar . Staining with actual stain no you can't certainteed makes a stained cement board
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 11:06PM
agarner3
Wondering what you ended up doing with your hardi plank? We have hardi plank too and are looking for a way to get the wood look. Thanks
1 Like   May 10, 2014 at 6:44PM
csparkman78
@agarner3 The wood/cedar look is what we wanted but I was worried about the outcome. We ended up painting our hardie a gray color. I wish I could have found a solution. Good luck to you.
0 Likes   May 10, 2014 at 11:25PM
laurajazz
We went through the same exercise, in search of a way to make hardi shake look like authentic cedar. It all looked fake.

Then we found certainteed cedar impressions rough split shakes. They are beautiful, maintenance free, and no one realizes they are not cedar.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 2:32AM
csparkman78
Laurajazz, it looks great! My home is similar to yours. Too bad it's too late for us!
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 6:46AM
The Clay Team - Looking Glass Realty
laurajazz - what was your experience with Certainteed? We're building and planned on using Hardi until I saw something about the pre stained Certainteed.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:44AM
agarner3
Our house looks looks similar to yours too. Builder told us we could use hardi siding and planks and stain them to look like wood and it would be cheaper and lower maintenance than actual cedar. However, months later after all the siding was purchased and up he informed us his painter was no loner able to get the product (it had been discontinued) he had used in the past to achieve this look. Now it seems that painting is our only option. Disappointed because the wood cabin look is what we loved about this house.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 7:26PM
agarner3
@Laurajazz I love the wood look of your siding. Wish I had know about that product prior to our siding going up.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 7:50PM
laurajazz
You need To contact Certainteed. We had to override our builders' decision use this product.
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 8:19PM
GN Builders L.L.C
You cannot stain James Hardie siding, if you look at manufacturer specs I believe it is in there someplace and it will void the warranty.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 8:40PM
laurajazz
The certainteed was very easy & fast to install. Totally maintenance free. It took guts for us to select it because builder was not familiar with it and tried very hard to talk us out of it and then made us sign a waiver if HOA determined it did not comply(after installation). But all we get are compliments on our house. Everyone assumes it is cedar and we do not advise them otherwise.
0 Likes   May 16, 2014 at 3:57AM
New apartment!
Just moved in. Here's a few photos of the living and...
Julian Velez
Skylights vs. Dormer
We've been presented with two options for bringing...
pxlgirl
Kitchen
My granite extends past my cabinets. Where do I stop...
Lynn Mastromarino
Dome/skylight replacement
I have a dome/skylight over my foyer that is 8 feet...
francifree
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce