Kitchen lighting
Dorothy Hafso
need new kitchen lighting current lighting is not bright enough
underedenx
Pot lights or track lighting are great for dimly lit spaces, and task lighting under the upper cabinets if u dont already have it get it!
October 4, 2013 at 11:28am     
LBC Lighting
Maybe consider a monorail system under the skylight to provide pendants over the dining table.
October 4, 2013 at 11:48am        Thanked by Dorothy Hafso
I would start by painting the entire area brown.
Traditional Chocolate & Cream Kitchen

You already have electricity where the track lighting is and it is away from the wall. What if you hang a rectangular chandelier there? And a rectangular mirror directly behind it? No picture on the other wall.

So, this idea…mirror behind the chandy.

Glamorous Master Bedroom in Hollywood Regency Style - Robert Naik photography

May I say, that I would prefer not to see the corner cabinet in that spot as the ascending wall dwarfs the piece.
Beatty Chandelier, Light Beige Linen Oval Shade
October 4, 2013 at 11:56am     
Rose Aten Design LLC
The monorail system is a great concept,as well as recessed cans installed next to skylight. The dark accent wall does not help light to appear bright.
October 4, 2013 at 12:05pm   
What about hanging a pot rack style light outside the skylight by wires and just not adding the pots?

- Debbie, www.debbieshomeshop.com
October 5, 2013 at 1:33pm   
pcmom1
One thing that helped my dark kitchen was to paint the ceiling in a gloss or semi gloss paint. That helps to bounce the light around. Also, have you considered painting the walls or cabinets in a lighter and brighter color?
Farm House 1
kitchen
October 5, 2013 at 4:29pm     
roosterdavis
Extend your track. Track light has many fittings to extend in any direction. Make a perimeter and a T fitting to get to either side of the skylight. It'll be the least destructive option.
October 5, 2013 at 4:36pm   
solraven
pcmom1, I so agree with you and am surprised that "ceiling" paint is always matte white. All of my ceilings have semi-gloss and I just love it.

Dorothy, I absolutely love that rich brown wall, but if the room isn't getting enough light, I would recommend a lighter color. Dark colors absorb light, while light colors reflect it back into the room. If you have a cabinet, or draw that has a dark interior and another with light interior, notice how it's hard to see the items in a dark cabinet, but in a light cabinet, you can see everything.

A small amount of light is able to bounce around light cabinet.
October 5, 2013 at 4:39pm     
karenlovell
Okay, I am seeing 2 photos. One is the dining area and the other the kitchen. It appears that you have some sort of porcelain stone floor and it may run throughout the entire area???? It's very grounding. However, it is greatly contrasted with the lighter oak cabinets and white appliances. The space, in my eyes, needs some unification. Work with someone who is knowledgeable on colors and find some color to paint your cabinets (yes, this is a BIG project!) to help unify the space. From that color, think about another paint color for the kitchen walls, which could be an accent in the dining area too. Paint the entire ceiling with one color for better unification. I liked the idea of the glossy paint as it will reflect light. Also, the mirror idea. is super. Are you aware that it was Thomas Jefferson in Monticello who used mirrors in his parlor to reflect light and add more light to the room? Anyway, I have found a lovely, albeit expensive, mirror that might really expand the space and help the light. It will give the room a wonderful ambiance. The mirror is called Grand Palais Mirror and it is from www.ballarddesigns.com. This mirror is very versatile and would look super in any room. I will see if I can attach the photo. Okay, I must go to web site and save and then post - too much trouble. Look it up and visualize how it will look on your wall. I will post more. This is a lot to read.
October 6, 2013 at 1:08pm   
karenlovell
The furniture in your dining area looks somewhat I call country traditional - a little New England. (I can see eating maple syrup on pancakes.) Corner cabinet and round oak or maple table with Windsor chairs. You might think staining them a more graphite color to go better with the floor tones - just a shade darker. Also the high ceiling, to me, dwarfs the corner cabinet. Perhaps putting the philodendron on top of it would bring he eye up a bit. For more light, put some little LED lights under the shelving, or put one at the very top and replace the wood shelving with glass. Display something pretty and special to you in it. The picture on the wall may have meaning to you. The wall is too big for it, however. Perhaps you could find a place where it might be grouped with other pictures in some sort of theme. If corner hutch can fit where plant stand is, move it to that corner. Do something that takes up the whole wall space on wall opposite kitchen. I assume you're replacing the track lighting - to me it's way to modern for the furniture you have. Maybe something more traditional or a modern traditional twist that has Edison bulbs. It will definitely need to be adjustable - at least before it is permanently fastened to the ceiling. Lowe's has a nice fixture that has the jar glass and Edison bulbs. The base plate is antique bronze and would go well in your space. On the accent wall there is a gray brown paint that was in the 201a Fall Pottery Barn collection before they moved to Sherwin Williams. It's a Benjamin Moore color called weimaraner - brownish gray tone that is BEAUTIFUL!!! and will help unify your space, I think. And, underneath your upper cabinets in the kitchen, maybe try a metallic subway shape tile in a silvery tone. Maybe think of matching the hardware on your cabinets. Change the door pulls on your corner cabinet to blend better with kitchen cabinet pulls. To me they look like a brushed pewter. Also, consider paining the inside of the corner cabinet to reflect something - or mirror it. Now, that's a whole lot more than lighting, but fun.
October 6, 2013 at 1:31pm   
pcmom1
Your walls are tall and rather stark. And the thermostat is right in the middle of one. Think about wallpapering those walls. That will add brightness and fill the space. Once you choose the paper, you can find material for a new window valance. The one I see looks a little beige!

What sort of style are you looking for? Something Americana? And add a large mirror or larger art piece in place of the one on the brown wall.

October 6, 2013 at 3:57pm     
Fred S
Just for the fun of it.
October 7, 2013 at 1:41am        Thanked by Dorothy Hafso
Lewis Electrical solutions ltd
Lose the track! I recommend some uniformed placed spotlights and a really nice feature light on the wall.
October 7, 2013 at 10:34am     
nancyann0277a
Dorothy is asking just about lighting and some people here are telling her to paint everything in sight. Don't think she is wanting that. Just give her what she is asking for.
October 7, 2013 at 11:47am     
Lewis Electrical solutions ltd
I agree!
October 7, 2013 at 4:02pm   
Dorothy Hafso
thanks for the help everyone, yes I need help with the lighting, since the pictures were take I have replaced the picture with two larger ones, which fills the large wall better. I like the idea, and have looked at the halogen track with pendants and floods alternating for over the island since the electrical box is not centered over the island. never thought of the same concept for over the dining table but just might work, or run a chain from the electrical box to the skylight over the table, once again the skylight is centered in the room so the table would have to be moved so the light would be centered over the table. lots of challenges
October 9, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Ideas to decorate the recess window areas
It is a very sunny area due to all the windows facing...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need help with flooring for our new hill country contemporary home
We like handscaped wood floors but not sure about using...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Front door painted black - brush strokes are too heavy
Wood front door was painted black 2 days ago and the...