java123
December 12, 2011 in Photo Questions
Wondering if the stone is actual stone or a stone veneer. If so what company is it from and name of actual stone used? Also wondering what color of the metal roof is and what company it is from.
Norris Architecture
This is real stone quaried localy in Tennessee. Fake or manufactured stone that is essentially glued on is not an acceptable alternative if you have any intention of staying in the home more than five years. It starts falling off after that. Virtually all stone seen in current construction is used as a veneer over framing or CMU construction. The difference is that real stone ussually 6 to 8 inches thick is stacked, is structuraly self supporting and is tied to the constructed wall behind it for lateral support only.
December 13, 2011 at 7:25am     
tully11
I love this house !! It would be my dream house. We are looking to build a house between 2500-3000 sq ft and I'd love it to look like this, but I'm wondering if the stone would cost too much. Do you know what the price differences would be for stone vs fiber cement siding? I'm trying to decide if I have to give up the dream or not :)
Also do you know how much it cost for the front porch?
December 30, 2011 at 1:18pm   
Norris Architecture
Stone will cost between $12 and $20 per square foot of surface area. Siding is probably around $3-$5. So, yes stone is much more expensive. Porches are hard to price but figure on between $40 - $70 per square foot. We used ipe wood on the floor and a metal roof, so this porch was probably around $60 which means it probably added about $24,000. Sounds like a lot but as a room it is pretty cheap.
December 30, 2011 at 1:30pm   
tully11
is that cost for the stone and siding including labor costs? are the labor costs about the same?
December 30, 2011 at 2:01pm   
Norris Architecture
Installed. But this can vary widely depending on labor costs in your part of the country. The stone cost can vary depending on the stone. The 16-20 is assuming a local stone quarried close to the project.
December 30, 2011 at 2:22pm   
java123
That Ipe wood is very expensive. What would be a good alternative that would also withstand Wisconsin winters and create the same/similar look?
December 30, 2011 at 2:49pm   
carsanstocks
Hi Norris Architecture,

Can i ask your opinion regarding my rotten window box posted here in discussion with the following link: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/118423/_trid=aG91c3Nhb247Y2FyLnNhbnN0b2Nrc0BnbWFpbC5jb20/Any-suggestions-for-rotted-window-box

I did not know that stone veneer will fall off in time. I plan to live in my house til retirement (that's 15 yrs from now, hopefully).

I am now in huge dilemma on how to proceed with repair and augmentation of this rotten window box.

May 7, 2012 at 6:52pm   
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
hardwood floor finishing for the kitchen: oil or polyurethane?
Please give me advice what kind of hardwood floor finish...
Modex. Model sink by Blanco
Has Any one used this sink by blanco ?
Knotty pine dilemma keeping me up at night...
We have just purchased our first home!! Look at all...