Need help with affordable ideas to pull guest bathroom together!
lostangelsOctober 4, 2013
How can I pull this bathroom together on a budget? Was thinking wallpaper, light fixture and some accessories, eh? Wallpaper ideas welcomed Eeek
karemore55
I have heard and read that you can now paint backsplash tile. So, assuming that changing the tile is not in your budget, painting would be the next best thing. And while you are at it, you could paint the vanity and the chair rail molding white, with leaves you with almost a blank slate. You would still have some burgundy tile to work with, and I'm thinking a pale blue-green or aqua could work with that. Ben Moore Palladian Blue possibly. I would then go white with towels and shower curtains, white California shutters or Venetian blinds on window and a modern shiny chrome light.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 4:34PM
karemore55
Heres a blogger's experience with painting her backsplash, and how it is still holding up 18 months later. She also gives a pretty good description of how she did it. http://www.11magnolialane.com/2013/03/12/painted-tile-backsplash-in-my-kitchen-a-year-later/
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 4:41PM
apple_pie_order
A spectacular wallpaper would pull the bathroom into a new era. http://www.houzz.com/quince-wallpaper shows many uses of the dramatic quince wallpaper design:
Potomac, MD

Chiang Mai Dragon Wallcovering, Alabaster
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 4:48PM
apple_pie_order
Also, you might try getting a professional tile cleaner in to tackle the old floor tile. They can do a lot to make it look fresh.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 4:49PM
Jessica Rios
Forget matching the burgundy. Paint a bright neutral on walls, paint border/rail white if you can. Think about lightly complimenting the dark red with tan or light golds. Need shower curtain, rug, better curtain.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 6:22PM
Jessica Rios
Change the light over sink also.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 6:24PM
lostangels
You guys are AMAZING! All of your comments got me thinking. Should I just reglaze the entire bathroom ie tub, sink, vanity and shower ie white or off white and start from scratch? I so wanted to salvage some of the original tiles ie floor and vanity. But had floor guys come out to deep clean and see about salvaging bit cracks are too bad and cleaning didn't help. Between the pink tiles and peach tub and sink it has just been a frustrating mess. Wondering if The most affordable think to do would just be to spend money in Reglazing and tile these floors with a cool honeycomb pattern. It is a 1940s home. Thoughts? Yes, all light fixtures are pretty bad indeed.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 6:37PM
Linda
Do you really hate the peach colored tub? Or, does it just look slightly old-fashioned to you? If you can't stand to open the bathroom door because the tub assaults your eyes, then pay up and have it reglazed. Otherwise, save the considerable amount of money and put it toward replacing the vanity with a newer, smaller unit. You'll need to pull the tile off the right hand wall as I would be very surprised if you have tile behind the current vanity unit.

What color is the toilet?

Light gray goes well with maroon and peach so that might work for floor tile
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 7:00PM
karemore55
Lost angels, you should do a separate post asking whether anyone has had experience re glazing tubs, etc. I tried it about 10 years ago on a house we were flipping, just on the edge of the tub where we ripped out a glass enclosure, and I wasn't happy with how it looked. But that was 10 years ago and this is now. Perhaps professional deglazing gives much better results? Personally, if I didn't have the money to do a full-on, back to the floor boards reno in here, I would do minimal cosmetic changes until I could afford it. Be careful how you spend your money, because going only halfway only buys you a bit of time. Sooner or later, you will need to address other issues, like aging plumbing, electrical, etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 7:04PM
apple_pie_order
What aspects of the bathroom would you most like to change? Color? Vanity? Lighting? Tub/shower/tile? Fixtures?

Thanks for info about the pro floor tile people. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Have you considered getting a bathroom carpet? For $100 or so, you can get a washable latex backed carpet from JC Penney or amazon. Cut to fit. As a temporary measure, it can be a very good solution to floor problems.

I've seen professional bathtub and tile refinishers' work on old tubs and tile. It can be quite a change. It doesn't last more than a few years, but it does make a huge change.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 8:28PM
apple_pie_order
By the way, what is your long term plan for the bathroom? If it is a complete redo, then think carefully about how much you want to spend now as opposed to then.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 8:31PM
sjkingston
There was a Houzz Ideabook a few months back on cleaning grout with a paste of Oxyclean that might help. This is one of the neatest pink burgundy bathrooms to come along.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lostangels    October 4, 2013 at 9:52PM
lostangels
You guys are fantastic! Linda, the color of the toilet a lighter peach (uuuugh) All these different peaches and pinks going on in this bathroom. Makes it hard. Yeah, I think a grey could look really pretty ;) Good idea! Wondering if I should reglaze sink, tub and get a new toilet (which the toilet I could keep once we do a proper remodel so that expense doesnt feel throw away). ...but what color? White, Off White? Or do the tub, sink and toilet add to the flare of bathroom. They do not make these colors anymore for tubs, sinks, toilets. Feels a bit sac relgious but...

My Step Grandmother told me the same think Apple Pie ie. get a runner that has a cool art deco feel to it to cover up the cracks int he tile (but still ability to see the cool vintage mosaic patter in some parts)

Eventually we want to redo this bathroom, however, we just did the shower when we moved in (7 years ago) as we had to due to mold prob. So...we are trying not to do a whole big number here as eventually we want to get rid of tub and reorganize this bathroom so that the shower is bigger (very small right now).

Hmmmmm.

You guys are all making me think here. LOVING all your input. SO helpful.
    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:00PM
lostangels
Jessica, what color bright neutral? Warm or cool neutral?
    Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:20PM
help with guest/sons bathroom
My son is 4 and his bathroom is also guest bathroom....
ellieo3
Need help with Family Room pulling it together
We have the basic pieces. Still Need help with decorating...
browniebear
Help Needed Pulling My Powder Room Together
We are in the middle of a remodel & need help. I wanted...
christy25
Need help with guest bathroom tile and counter selection
We are getting ready to update our guest/powder bathroom...
kmedl
Pulling it all together
We just completed our home office. I have been excited...
Caroline Dilbeck
I'm lost with decor ideas...
I have 2 of the lamps but I'm not sold on how they...
Y S
Family Room Ideas!
I need help with the finishing touches on our family...
dsnason
Barn Conversion Space
We are converting a historical mill barn into a residence....
cdec_65
Help with our "meh" living room?!
Our second bathroom is small and very plain. It includes...
Erin G
The Space Above a Wall Mounted TV - Ideas? Blank?
In our living room/main family area, we have a wall...
Alex Stepien