Need help with sofa with Chinese Oriental rug
sriger
October 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a fabulous Chinese Oriental rug from the 1920s. I want a sofa to go where the TV is now. What color sofa? any suggestions? It needs to be comfy because the TV is moving to the opposite wall.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Susanna
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
JudyG Designs
Rug is lovely…honestly, it deserves better. Can the t v go in another room?

Dark bamboo…
6 - Traditional Tropical
Modern Maru Daybed
October 4, 2013 at 6:55pm   
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Have you had the rug appraised? I own two that are similar and they are quite valuable. You might want to get an official appraisel and make sure that the rug is insured.
It's beautiful........
October 4, 2013 at 6:59pm     
October 4, 2013 at 7:00pm   
2dogssashatess
love your rug. very dramatic:)
October 5, 2013 at 2:33am   
sriger
THanks for your suggestion of a green sofa but unfortunately I hate chartreuse green. Do you think grey would look OK? Others have suggested black but that's not practical for us. Do you think grey, such as a pearl grey, would look OK.
And yes I love the rug, too.
October 5, 2013 at 4:18am     
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
For my similar Chinnese navy rug, I had a brown traditional patterned couch for many years. Recently I switched to an off-white couch. Both looked good. I think that the pearl grey could look good too. Bring home the fabric samples of the ones you like and look at them for a few days before you make your decision. Also bring home some fabrics that you like but which might not be in the same grey tones..........mix it up a bit.......you might find something that works better.
October 5, 2013 at 6:25am     
indomom
West Elm has a fabric called "granite" that has a tinge of blue to the gray that might look nice. They have samples of several different shades of gray, if there is a WE near you.
Stunning rug!!
October 5, 2013 at 6:46am   
edithsmom
Obviously, you don't want to choose a bright color which would detract from that stunning rug. A grey would be fine IMO.
October 5, 2013 at 6:50am   
bms0422
I fear the grey tones may dull the beauty of your carpet (which is gorgeous). Do I see hints of an orange tone in the carpet? What about a light terra cotta/light rust leather sofa? Nothing bright, but something with some color to bring out one of the more subtle tones in the carpet. That carpet is definiately your centerpiece! If this were going to be a formal room, I would suggest a white or ivory sofa, but not practical for a TV room. Too bad the green is a chartreuse shade. It looks darker in the picture. A dark green sofa that would blend with the green in the carpet would be nice if you like color. Several of the latest home magazines are showing upholstered furniture in the dark green (not a hunter green, but a dark version of a true green). Also, just a suggestion, but the picture over the fireplace looks a little busy for the room. May just be the photo lighting.
October 5, 2013 at 7:29am   
Margo
I would go with a blue/gray

October 5, 2013 at 7:46am     
gypsyrose17
I think anything in the blue, gray, or beige/tan realm would work depending on your taste and kids/pets, etc.
October 8, 2013 at 9:08am   
Darzy
Pink velvet! Yummy!! Yes, I know not practical or a likely choice but it would be stunning. :)

October 8, 2013 at 9:17am