Builder mirror upgrade dilemma
Erica M.
Help Houzzers! I need help with my ugly builder mirror. I was thinking a few different options. Either a long smaller mirror cut and beveled by a fabricator...or framing the current one into three sections with either espresso or silver , or removing the mirror and replacing with ???????????????? Keep in mind we are selling , but don't want to invest money in two vanities. The counter is super long, like 102". The sinks are what is making it tough, because they are sooo far apart. Pardon my stuff, I'm staining the 90's honey oak cabinets an espresso. Wall color is greige.Thank you for your advice!
Looks like the cabinets are already an espresso color. One option is to create 2 smaller mirrors from the one that is currently on the wall.
0 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 4, 2013 at 7:11PM
The least expensive option would be to put molding around the mirror like a picture frame. (Liquid nails and molding). Paint/stain the color of your cabinets. Ideas...
Lorraine Vale
sexy style
Raintree House
5 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 4, 2013 at 7:18PM
wannadiferntlook
It may make the bathroom feel a tad bigger if you went with two proportionate mirrors, centered over the sinks, and frame them out to match the cabinets. Keeping the continuous countertop ties them together, and helps to balance the 'off-centeredness' of the cabinets below. Once the doors are back on, they'll have a better feel to them. You can always put something a bit on the tall side on the counter between the sinks - maybe a mid-height plant or a short stack of shelves for the wall between the mirrors, leaving the back open to let the wall color show through. Another thought - maybe an inexpensive set of shelves that match the cabinets for wicker baskets or rolled towels that can go in underneath in the middle. It will help make the whole unit seem more like one piece.
0 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 4, 2013 at 7:47PM
wannadiferntlook
Erica - Is that a reflection of sliding mirrored closet doors? Those, along with the big wall one and the medicine cabinet, is too much mirror for one room...the reflections can become disorienting. Have a fabricator cut down the wall mirror for two rectangle ones - so that they fit proportionately when framed, within each sink-to-light-fixture space. If you opt out of the shelves for the opening below the countertop, maybe just a wicker basket with rolled-up bath towels in it will do the visual trick. Shallow basket, towels sticking up and out of the top.
2 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 4, 2013 at 8:36PM
Erica M.
Thank you all! I love your pictures Darzy.If we frame it, I'll do like the 2nd or 3rd pictures. I have never seen the first picture done that way before. Very interesting! Wannadif- we thought about adding shelves below. We will definitely do it since it's so obvious, there is not enough storage. I'll put pretty towels on it as you suggested. The mirror is so wide that if I framed it, I think it will have to be two squares, plus a center larger square, because the sinks are offset. Either that or one big frame around the whole thing. If I did the two only over the sinks/fixtures, the squares would be either too small or the sinks would not line up. I have little pieces of painters tape on it, racking my brain about the scale. So rectangular...do you think vertical like Darzy's first pic or horizontal larger ones like these? http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sonoma-double-width-wall-mirror/?cm_src=AutoRel

I can have a place do the mirrors of whatever size if I figure out what size to do! You have all been super helpful, thanks again! I'm also open to putting in a new closet door, my husband doesn't like the white frame.
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 10:11PM
sailorleigh
The previous comments are great, I agree either frame the whole mirror, create two frames and glue them to the mirror over each sink and or add a separate different mirror in the middle to define that space more.
Check out the images and think outside the box, it's very inexpensive to glue some moulding to the mirror and add one unique mirror in the middle. I added a few different options to show you that it only adds interest to treat the treat the space different.y.
Have fun
3 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 4, 2013 at 10:47PM
joshuadovemastertilesetter
I would say that replacing it with two deprecate mirrors for each sink is pretty popular but since your selling you would have to think about the cost and the repair. I've never pulled a mirror down that big that didn't take large chunks of drywall with it. An alternative would be to spray paint a frosted boarder or make a frame around it. You even have to room to set up a little cabinet in the middle flush against the mirror to deprecate to two sinks.
1 Like   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 3:59AM
joshuadovemastertilesetter
Sorry, I should really check my spelling before I hit submit!!
1 Like   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 4:01AM
kadodi
Why are you stressing about this mirror? Do you think this mirror will stop the sale of your home? Let it go... Focus on appraisal and inspectable items,
2 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 4:06AM
Debp
I agree. I don't think the size of the mirror will be a big issue in selling you home. People will be happy to have two sinks. Why don't you hang a longer, pretty piece of art on the mirrors to visually divide them. Use a 3M removable hook.
2 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 4:21AM
Angel18432
Totally agree that mirror is not a problem.
0 Likes   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 4:28AM
drbabytooth
My bathroom was almost identical! We removed the mirror (be careful! Ours was glued to the wall and secured with the little tabs!) We placed three beautiful but inexpensive mirrors from a store called Kirklands over each sink and one over the vanity area. We had only one light fixture but added a fixture over each mirror.
1 Like   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 6:03AM
leelee
Remove the large mirror. Get two mirrors with frames. You surely have room to add a tower on the counter between the two sinks. That would help close that wide expanse of counter.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 7:12AM
jeanniebalducci
Keep in mind that if you decide to remove the mirror that it will probably damage the wall behind the mirror due to the builders adhesive used to attach tot the wall. Mirrors of this size are never installed with only hardware.
1 Like   Thanked by Erica M.    October 5, 2013 at 7:26AM
Erica M.
O.k. thank you all for your input and guidance. Our boys bathroom had a builder mirror that was big, that we removed, because it was in bad shape and had to go. It was not attached at all, so we thought maybe the master was easier than we originally thought. We fixed all the major things for inspection, so now we are just competing with others in the same price point. We do have all the drywall items from fixing some work we did, so it would be work, not really tons of money if we remove it (just replacement cost). Replacing is more than framing, so we will just go with framing and some built in shelves. I really like leelee's pics though! I know it will sell, but don't want it to sell for too little. We really just don't want to sell for less than we paid! We are in San Diego. So while I would love to slap some marble or granite down, I am not going to risk an expense like that, since the kitchen and guest bath have it in already.. We put two mirrors in the kids bath. It helped tremendously. Framing the mirror out should help it, and doing the shelves with make ours just a bit different from all the cookie cutters nearby. This bathroom also has an awesome barn door! Thank you all!! I'll post a picture when it's done. :)
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 2:38PM
Hiring a contractor /designer vs builder upgrades
Hi, My husband and I just bought our new home . It...
shwetasethi
Building a new home (builder- trac home) upgrade help!
Hi everyone! So- with our pre qualification we have...
Ali
What are the most important upgrades to do when buying a builder home
We are buying a Del Webb home where very little customizing...
pkshapiro
New Construction: Upgrade counters and tile with builder or do later?
We are purchasing a new construction home and have...
zheng659
upgrading a builder grade home
I have medium brown shaker cabinets and I plan on replacing...
lv2plan
Bathroom help
Almost complete renovating master bath, there s an...
b3aldwin
alcove help
I have 3 of these off the main long living kitchen...
Deana Hamel
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Decorating my apartment balconey...seasonally.
I don't have photos, because my balconey is not decorated....
glond
Are gold fixtures coming back in style?.. ..
We have all gold and want to update but hear gold is...
Bev Taylor