Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyguent

Need suggestions for updating china closet

cindyguent
10 years ago
Just painted dining room SW sand fossil, replaced light fixture with black wrought iron and got new rug. Updated old table by replacing captains chairs with black leather parsons (still have old ones). The china closet was purchased from craigs list after 30 years of wanting one, but seems passé now after only one year of owning. My original idea was to have it painted but I moved into this house and just filled it up with china and there it stands. What next?

Comments (217)

• cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mkhodges, isn't it wonderful to be ABLE to "steal" from one room to another? I think I started moving furniture around as a teen and still haven't stopped; family never knows what to expect. Keep on zooming around! Thanks on the lamps- my oldest daughter has her name on a post- it underneath them.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Have you checked your leaded-glass windows lately? Look closely, there is a post-it stuck on there that says "cdr". Haha.
  • Pam Jacobs
    10 years ago
    I'm new to Houzz, but can already see how it can become an addiction! Cindy, the discussion and pictures of your dining room (it looks beautiful) has certainly motivated me to make big changes! I'm looking forward to more of your decorating dilemmas .
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, pkh. Keep reading and then jump in with your own dilemma. It's like making new friends. And we pop up in discussions everywhere.
    Lol, cdr. I've always dreamt of having a house with leaded glass windows. As it turned out, I finally got it last year and fortunately it only has two because they are original to house and therefore not very energy efficient. LR has homemade inner window framed in which we need to address. That's where the Bombay drapes will pick up the draft, I mean slack.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    I like the Bombay curtains. They look more expensive and transitional than the swirls.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The Bombay curtains definitely gave a more formal look to DR, but in their new home in LR right next to DR serve a better purpose (thermal) and coordinate beautifully. Our dining room is used for every meal, including breakfast, so just needs to be comfy and inviting.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Finished product...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Wow, Cindy! That is such a great transformation. Simple, yet elegant! Great job!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks cdr. Swapped carpets and art from other rooms. Worked well I thought too.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All you guys made me realize simple was better.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Yes. Less is more. Now that you have hung those drapes, art on left side of sliding doors should be centered btn drapes and left wall. Seems to be crowded out by drapes. Also, it seems to be hung a little high.

I know, I am a perfectionist. The room looks great!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks you perfectionist, you! Will check when I get home. I just moved those drapes over yesterday trying to straighten rod that hubby put center bracket up too high. Was trying to some how move ends up but it didn't work. That would never bother him a bit btw.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Well, maybe you won't have to move picture after all!
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Looks great! What DID you wind up doing with the china cabinet? :)
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well......not much. Did store all the place settings underneath and mostly used the extra pieces with some crystal and other decorative items. Got some art paper, but sheets were too small to give a good representation. Think I will def paint the back a goldish metallic tone eventually, although have seen some great wallpapers on Pinterest. Love that someone had suggested taking back off to do that. Why didn't I think of that? I even ended up getting rid of my everyday dish set and replacing it with fiesta ware in 4 colors, so I don't have all those patterns to worry about.
    Funny how that was the main discussion to begin with.
  • bchapman90260
    10 years ago
    Turn that china cabinet into a bar and I'm sold!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That could happen some day.
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    10 years ago
    To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider this modular wall system. The cabinetry can be ordered to match the decor of the adjoining rooms. You can add drawers, shelves and even a screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
    Style: Paneel · More Info

STYLE: Paneel · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Cindy look what you have achieved! It looks great
    Before and after
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wow your room looks wonderful and you had most of the stuff!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Right cleanfreek.....Most people do not need to buy things. Actually, to make their rooms look better, selling some things is often the cure.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @ CDR Design I am trying to do the same and use what I have, I just don't have the $$$ to go out and buy all new stuff. If I did, I wouldn't be on here asking for help with my rooms. I love seeing her room turn out the way it did and she only bought curtains and a bowl!
  • decor mom
    10 years ago
    My friend used the bottom as a buffet with art hung over. Top part got put in her closet and uses it for shoe storage :)
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I had kind of reached a stalemate on this room, couldn't decide on the curtains until the end of October, when my new living room furniture arrived. The original DR rug clashed with the new LR rug, so I swapped with another room's rug and that got the ball rolling to go with gold drapes and swapped art (which was kind of wasted where it was hanging unseen). Now I see a pic I love every day as we eat all our meals here!
  • klsbernard
    10 years ago
    Wow what a updated transformation, loved listening in on the conversation, felt like I was having coffee with the gals. Thanks for all the ideas, I am about to try the same update on my sisters dining room.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @nwduck, mostly....you wondered about china closet. Just bought some textured paper that goes on like contact paper and the gold metallic paint cdr suggested for back of china. Will get to sometime soon I hope. For now, this is how it looks arranged. Will work on it more once everything is out to put in paper.
    I know cdr, the picture...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    ......can't wait to see the final cabinet.

Now, about the picture...unless it has some special meaning for you, I think it would really update your room if you simple duplicated what you have on the right side, but a different arrangement of the circles. The picture just seems heavy, too high and just doesn't balance with the right side and doesn't fit the space in which it hangs. An alternative would be a long, narrow piece.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I see what you mean, cdr. I've always loved that painting (hubby bought as a present one year) but it was purchased for other house which had much larger DR. The fullness of the drapery panel here doesn't really allow for much more than a narrow piece.
    I'll check around the house and attic this weekend (cheap shopping trip!)
    Actually, I had a thought. Will post pic soon.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I love when people shop their own homes. Maybe you can use the art somewhere else.....maybe place it somewhere else in a contemporary frame to give it new life. It is looking very 80's. (Heck, that means it could be back in style again soon!)
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This iron ornament isn't long and narrow, but still matches idea on the other side of the door. And the painting can go on this other wall. Will lower nails later and see if I have anything else better when not babysitting 3yr old grandson! We have a lot of playing to do and he's calling me to open the play doh.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    The iron ornament is much better----relates to the circles on the other side and not crowding drapes. As you mentioned, it needs to be lowered, so that it is centered on the other circles vertically.

Also, where new art is hung.....seem high also.

What is the height of the center circle of the 3 circles on the right side of drapes? Center of still life and large circle should be that height.

Have fun with play-doh!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah, cdr. I remember saying I would never wear bell bottoms again after the 70's and sure enough, wide legged pants and flared came back! And I was one of the first buying them again. Of course, never the low cut again!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    No low cut or skinny jeans for me!

Oh, by the way, gold is coming back in again, so keep that still-life. I think the next trend will be 80's retro! mauve and green and large gold frames. I am not kidding!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, I'll be ready for that one, except for the mauve.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Somehow got to move those pieces lower yesterday and at first they seemed soooo low but today they look just right. Did not take another pic as you know what it looks like. Will likely use the iron piece for now as I own it and like it and do feel it ties in with the brass flowers on right. Thanks cdr for pointing that out about the still life. I love that so much (who knows why) and didn't see that it really didn't fit where I had it. And I can still see it a lot where I moved it to as I go out those doors many times a day to let the dog in and out.

View from my sofa looks more coordinated now also. Before, the eye would see the oil and the print at the same time. And of course, since I said my favorite spot in my house is right on the sofa where I am sitting right now, all is well.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    That looks good! Good work!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove top hutch. Very dated.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nancy that plan won't happen. Have streamlined objects in top hutch and am planning to put gold metallic wallpaper in the back. Then will see what objects showcase best; most likely crystal, pottery and metal objects with a few brighter dishes.

I already have a long hutch on the other wall with large artwork and a mirror on another wall.

This room is pretty much complete. Besides that, I'm dated also and I like it. I think I'm at least more up to date than my friends!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    This is an old post since October .
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Old Post, Project Done, but for Cindyguent: This is the larger scale textured art paper I found at Blick. It was big enough for my built in dining room cabinets, with the one seam hidden behind a shelf edge. $5 a sheet, so $40 for the whole thing.
  • Janice Robinson
    10 years ago
    Take the doors off the china cabinet and paint it with chalk paint. The open display concept you'll get from removing the doors will actually open up the entire room.
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's a possibility also. There wasn't much anyone suggested before except painting or decorating the back and changing out the hardware. Any of course, decluttering shelves.
    I saw another discussion where someone stripped their cabinet and removed doors and it turned out great. Can't say I'm on board for that now, but I originally thought about doing it a sort of distressed black.
  • Janice Robinson
    10 years ago
    Chalk paint will cover anything! You shouldn't even need to prime. Put bead board on the back of the shelf area, or a great wallpaper.
  • Janice Robinson
    10 years ago
    Search " wallpaper in cabinets" in Houzz for some inspiration!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Janice for the suggestions! Sitting in ER with my dad so that's how my spare time has been spent lately.
    Great ideas here! I've got the wallpaper already so just need the time!
  • cindyguent
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nwduck, that paper looks like it has a pretty texture to it, also.

Nice to see you over @ Spencer's!
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    It's rather hammered looking, which is what I liked. Shows through the glass doors. (Creepy shadow on it is me taking the picture.)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Cindy, sorry to hear your Dad is not doing well.
  • kimberleyannhansen
    10 years ago
    Chalk paint, google Annie Sloan.
    Amazing no smell, you can do it without moving anything
  • Starbella
    10 years ago
    Love the update!