Want to convert room to office.... help!
nativetexan1976
We recently purchased a house and have been getting settled in. I'm now ready to tackle this room and really would like some help. Please ignore the current furniture and layout - that will all be changed. I believe this room functioned as a second family room or greeting room but I intend to turn it into my home office. The room screams 1980's to me and I really want to make it clean, bright, updated and functional. My plans are to install some large (8') french doors with rain glass to let light in....
Additionally, I'd like to replace the fireplace with some stone and a mesquite slab mantel (I live in Texas and want a TX feel to the home).

So, my question is what should we do with the paneling? Neither my wife nor I are big fans. Should we keep and re-stain? Paint over it? Remove and see what's underneath, add sheetrock if necessary? Thanks so much!
tsudhonimh
" The room screams 1980's to me and I really want to make it clean, bright, updated and functional. "

To me it says, "I'm almost a professional's panelled office". The panelling itself is neutral. (and it looks like pecan, which is a native Texas tree). It's the clutter that's holding it back.

As well as the doors, I would:
* Convert the desk nook into a full-height bookcase and cabinet place to hide the printer and the office supplies

* Place an awesome, functional desk in front of the new doors - boldly take posession of the space with that desk.

* Add a great light modern looking rug on the floor ... big bright floral or geometric, intensely colored ethnic weave. A light cowhide would say "howdy",

* Add a couple of bright, light uphilstered comfy chairs and a small table for reading and chatting.

* Add high-hung drapery panels to go with rug and chairs

* Hang some local art over the fireplace where that red thing is.

kicj back and work in the place, read, and chat.

============
Much easier than removing panelling and fixing walls, and if you don't like it, you can still paint the panelling later.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:07AM
lessismoore
As paneling goes, this is pretty nice stuff! It does not look "80s" at all. While not this:
Traditional Family Room by Minneapolis General Contractors Stonewood, LLC
it is still leaning more in that direction.

If you replace the shown windows with french doors, go with a high quality wood replacement (not white vinyl) and I like something with a transom rather than a whole door being 8 ft high :-)
Traditional Family Room by Mount Pleasant General Contractors Phillip W Smith General Contractor, Inc.
Comments from tsudhonimh above are right on. Especially getting a desk with the power to claim the space.
Troubles with pix - see missing images below.
   October 5, 2013 at 9:35AM
   October 5, 2013 at 9:37AM
studio10001
This already seems a perfect background for a modern office. Your stone and mesquite fireplace strikes me as the more dated concept; I think you have rightly identified the fireplace as an area for improvement, but a finer fireplace treatment will correspond better with modern furniture lines, and artwork can say Texas with more finesse. I agree w much of the posts above.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 10:07AM
the essentials inside
Hi nativetexan1976 - I agree with the others - the paneling is well suited to a Texas feel.

Do you happen to have more views of the room that you could post?

~Lyvonne

P.S. Hi lessismoore! Haven't run into you for a while. :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 1:35PM
jsreams
I might be going out on a limb (may not even be feasible), but is painting the paneling white an option?
   October 5, 2013 at 1:39PM
lessismoore
Hi Lyvonne! I've been a bit MIA ... real life often intrudes on my fun with Houzz ;-)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 5:06PM
pcmom1
Don't you dare touch that paneling! I should be so lucky!

You mentioned replacing the windows with "rain glass". Doesn't that mean you will lose the view? For privacy there are other ways to achieve that. The new french doors could have cellular shades that you bring from the bottom up, for example.
This: only art of Texas:

I like the desk to have a view out the window.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 5:18PM
2dogssashatess
I love the panelling but would paint it white
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 5:38PM
janeinfo
I live in TX too and I would paint it white....Just saying:) That said, it's your choice. :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 5:56PM
nativetexan1976
Thanks everyone - this is really helpful. I had trouble attaching more images - I'll try again. I'm not replacing the windows you see in the first picture. The entrance to the room is simply a large 7' wide by 9+' tall opening which faces the fireplace - this is where I intend to install the french doors with rain glass. And I really like the idea of including a transom. This room is to the right of the entrance to the house. FYI as you walk in, the office will be to the immediate right, stairs straight ahead and dining room and hallway to the left. Thank you all for your insight, and any more ideas are certainly welcome
   October 6, 2013 at 6:57AM
dclostboy
I love the grain in the paneling...not so much the contrast between the floor and the walls. Maybe darkening the walls or changing the flooring?
   October 6, 2013 at 7:03AM
the essentials inside
Seeing some more of the house, I now vote for painting the paneling. You could do white or maybe even a gray --

~Lyvonne
   October 6, 2013 at 7:55AM
studio10001
Fireplace treatments (The herringbone is a leather tile):[houzz=Hillbrook Renovation]
[houzz=Office/Library][houzz=Brookline Restoration]
   October 6, 2013 at 8:30AM
pcmom1
Will you be adding doors to the interior? Be able to shut off from the rest of the house for privacy? I know you said office...another option would be a grand billiard room plus bar.
   October 6, 2013 at 4:15PM
I would use stacked stone in gray tones to ceiling on fireplace. Are French doors going where windows are? Perfect. But use clear glass. I would remove paneling on sides of firepl. Just dry wall it. Are you going a modern look? Could just dry wall whole place then paint. If a more Texas look like you said. Keep paneling by French doors. And lose the rest. I see a western look. With a black and white cow hide on floor in front of firepl. A oversize desk facing firepl. Big high back leather chair. On wall behind desk add long console low. Book cases on each side to ceiling. With storage under them for files, printers etc.. You could put panels on each end of French door in a pale gray. You don't say how big room is. If room add a small leather love seat on side wall. Can't see. and 2 small chairs swivel place in front of desk. But can swivel to see firepl. Paint a pale gray bookcases and console in black. Thick wood. Even reclaimed wood would work. Nice look for Texas.
   October 6, 2013 at 4:29PM
Over firepl. A silver Texas long horn. Z Galleries has, very different.
   October 6, 2013 at 4:31PM
Ok just saw other pictures. Still put desk in center of room but your back would to firepl. Stone on firepl but keep paneling add storage under bookcases. As I said before. Just turned around. Cheaper to do too. Are you planning on doors to close this room off? You still have room for chairs, you don't need swivel now. Do in a print.
   October 6, 2013 at 4:37PM
The 3 rd pic by studio is ex sample of reclaimed wood
   October 6, 2013 at 4:38PM
Little Girl Needs a Big Girl Room
Please Help! My daughter has a little room that needs...
Design dead end....
I have been looking at this kitchen wall and counter...
Need decorating ideas
Hi creative people: So, I'm moving into a new space...
kitchen counters and backsplash all wrong
I rushed and chose the first granite slab I saw, thinking...
Affordable alternative to European White Oak Engineered flooring
We've been searching everywhere for an engineered floor...