Awkward stair landing
dsfb007
We want to bring stairs straight down but because structural issues regarding basement steps and basement step headroom it would be a budget buster. Present landing feels too high for eight foot ceiling height although I have a sense it could be redone somehow. Any thoughts?
smileyface2013
Could you bring it down one step lower?
October 5, 2013 at 3:17pm   
Sharon
I see what you mean. Not sure about what you could do structurally, but paint colours and paint locations are contributing to this area looking very blocky and chopped up. One lighter colour in this area could help make things flow better visually.
October 5, 2013 at 3:44pm     
pattyannb
I agree with the paint... it should all be one color... and put some glass in where the spindles are... I think that would open it up...
October 5, 2013 at 3:50pm     
dsfb007
Unfortunately it can't be lowered because basement stair headroom is under the landing. Basement stairs can't be reconfigured without moving a load bearing wall. Been thinking that replacing spindles with solid walls might make for a quainter look?
October 5, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Gantt's Decorating
It would look a lot less awkward if it was walled in and only the steps were open on the one side.
October 5, 2013 at 4:57pm     
pcmom1
Yes, I think walling it in would do it!

October 5, 2013 at 5:01pm     
HI -- I think it would be a mistake to have the stairs come straight down --- it will come out to far . I would just fill in the wall where the bench is sitting . That might help it look less awkward . Have a stair company in to give you advice on if it can be done and for how much . The cost may make up your mind for you.
October 5, 2013 at 5:09pm   
cathyjoco
Hi, I think I would also add to the wall on the left, to eliminate the rail. Can you do something like this?
October 5, 2013 at 6:11pm     
LB Interiors
I like the open feeling that it currently has. I would not close it in. I would make more of a design statement with color. Stain darker or paint the steps and risers . Black and white might be nice. Maybe a white or black banister. Paint the bottom stepped wall the same as the red wall , and tan wall or change the colors. I think they should all be the same color.

I would place the narrow eye catching upholstered small bench on the low stepped wall. Where the bench is now, maybe a low bookcase. If there is space for the walkway.

I also think that the area would look smoother if the tan wall and red wall and the low stepped wall (on the same plane) were the same color.
October 5, 2013 at 7:54pm   
Cindy Sherman @ Kitchen & Bath Ideas
Definitely a paint fix .. don't wall it in because the ceiling cut out and lower ceilings will all of a sudden suffocate the space.
October 5, 2013 at 8:00pm   
Gantt's Decorating
The "hunting foyer" picture says it all!!! What a class act!
October 5, 2013 at 9:40pm   
LB Interiors
The Hunting Foyer by 'pcmom' is a great example of black and white stairs that I thought might look nice. I would leave the space open. In the example, the backside does not open to another room. In your case, I would not want to close off the adjacent room and the flow of any natural light between the two spaces.
October 5, 2013 at 10:02pm   
Nancy Walton
What is the room where the bench is? Is that the foyer?
October 5, 2013 at 10:12pm   
Nancy Walton
I was thinking that you could add stairs on that side, too, so you can access the stairs from both sides.
October 5, 2013 at 10:13pm     
pcmom1
Quick fix you could try would be painting all the walls in that area white so that there is no contrast with that bulky ceiling. I would take down the mirror I see, it brings my eye down too much. Actually paint the walls with a tone on tone (cream/white) wide vertical stripes to make space seem taller.
October 6, 2013 at 4:20pm   
dsfb007
Thanks for your inputs! 1985 house, remodel vs move. Love our lot and neighborhood. I added a few more pics to show the hallway and foyer. Another problem having the stairs coming straight down is the main floor bathroom is opposite where the landing would end. I like the paint ideas!
October 6, 2013 at 6:53pm   
cathyjoco
I think what you have done is pretty; however, I think you have accented the lines by putting different colors on them. This would be the color of the wood versus the iron and the wood trim and and the green. Perhaps if you re-worked the stairs to have a smooth line it would help. It may help too, if the round ball decor was removed too.
October 7, 2013 at 11:54am     
1950s Cape Cod awkward stair landing
Stairs end at landing that leads to three stairs to...
How do I create a landing at the bottom of my porch stairs?
I am looking for ideas for a landing at the bottom...
Staining Stair Treads to Match Wood Flooring on Landing
I have recently decided to convert a carpeted stair...
Need help with small stair landing space
This area collects my girls book bags and coats when...
What colour to paint my hall stairs and landing
I currently have red carpet on my stairs which I can't...
Appearance and ease of entry
The main entry to our house is up the step to the right...
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...
ceiling paint color
Can anyone give me advice on what color I should recommend...
Need to give these 1950's steps a makeover!
Round 1950's pebble crete steps are damaged and falling...