Need help with Kitchen backsplash
xiomaragiselle
Been looking for the perfect glass tile backsplash for 6 months. I found this one yesterday but not sure if it looks okay with my granite and cabinets. I don't want it to look too busy and really like a simple/ sophisticated look. My appliances are all stainless steel and my floor plan is open, if that helps. Your comments/help are very appreciated. First time posting here ;)
Diana Helena Designs
Can you post a pic of the whole space?
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 10:57AM
I'm not in love. Try a simple subway tile in black. Or a tumbled travertine. Looks like cabs are traditional. Travertine is very traditional.
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 10:58AM
Tile you show has no contrast to walls. So is boring.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 10:59AM
I think the tile is beautiful but agree with your concerns that it will be too busy with the granite. Because there is so much contrast with the lightest tile and darkest tile of the backsplash, it will make it busy looking with the granite. If you can find a similar tile, with less contrast it would be great. This type would look good, but I think you'd like SOME deviation and style on the backsplash.

10 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 11:09AM
xiomaragiselle
Here you go, hope this pictures help.
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:24AM
xiomaragiselle
Darzy, thanks for your suggestion! I agree with you and that's very close to what I'm looking for.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 11:25AM
Amy Cali
Very nice suggestion Darzy :) love that backsplash for xiomaragiselle's kitchen
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 11:27AM
Diana Helena Designs
Yes the pics are extremely helpful! The back splash as you know is a very important element in your kitchen design. Have you thought about using a faux /real metal? It would afford you a little pizazz without confronting your very busy granite counter tops and muted floors. Here is a great diy site but there are many vendors out there! http://backsplashideas.com/t/gallery-modern
3 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 7:30AM
Diana Helena Designs
I wouldn't recommend this particular orientation of the tile or color but you can play around with both the color and orientation and see what fits your perfect style!
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
Tim Jones
How about stainless steel backsplash?
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:36AM
Tim Jones
Found this pic
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 7:37AM
Sustainable Dwellings
No, to Stainless in this room. I say, mount the tile! It will be fine...
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:38AM
I'm a fan of Darzy's suggestion. I think the variation in tile size and placement, but uniformity of color would be a particularly nice and tasteful solution for your kitchen. And it could be in any of the colors taken from your granite, from light to medium-dark, though personally I'd lean toward the lighter colors to contrast with your darker cabinetry.
2 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 7:38AM
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
How about a glass tile mural.. sparkly, and image is transferred onto the back of the optically clear glass tile
http://www.AliciatappDesigns.com
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:41AM
Diana Helena Designs
I wouldn't recommend the hammered or textured options because its too combative with the counters and the natural patterns that exist within the granite. If you commit to one bold piece such as the counters I really think the back splash should show case what you currently have. The tile recommendations are nice but it's a little bit, 'cookie cutter design' if you don't mind your home looking like a Lowe's show room. You really have the opportunity to show your personality through this one design choice.
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 7:47AM
suzancaf
My suggestion would be to look at natural stone, laid out in an "Anasazi " style. That is thin pieces stacked (similar to the glass tiles you show). It would be more neutral, but allow movement and contrast in a more elegant subtle way. Using the metal would be cool too, but if your appliances are stainless, it could be too much.
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:55AM
Marj
We just did this in a house, lots of good comments. Of course, you would want something lighter and brighter to contrast with those nice cabinets. As a realtor, tired of seeing sheets of small mosaic in every rehab, too busy looking with the countertops in the overall visual in the end.
Cant seem to add my finished pictures in this post!
5 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 8:01AM
sunnydrew
Hi Marj. I really like this backsplash. It is different from anything I have seen on Houzz. Can you tell me the specific name and size of squares, so I may research it and other colors? I would love to see more pictures of this kitchen when it is de-cluttered. it looks really well done. I know the backsplash you did is probably too "busy" for my specific search, but it gives me hope that there is something else to try. There are so many dramatic granites, that it seems everyone is confronted with the challenge of finding a complementary backsplash design. I think for the person, XIO, who posted this dilemma, this design would be gorgeous. The skinny glass tiles are fine and seem to look good with all counters, but they are just so done... time for something else maybe?
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 8:14AM
mchalk
Subway tiles in white for a contrast in the otherwise standard designed kitchen. This would allow the other colors/surfaces to stand out. And, with this white tile, you can change kitchen accent colors most easily!
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 8:42AM
sstarr
You could go for a smooth, uniform look by using large-format porcelain wall panels.
They come from a variety of makers, many of them from Italy. The panels themselves are quite thin but strong, and are easy to cut and fit.
You end up with much less grouting, and more smooth, cleanable surface without the distracting lines.
Daltile Slimlite panels are 3.5mm thick, and come in 20" x 39" or larger sizes, useful for backsplashes. Grout lines are 1/16" wide.
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 6, 2013 at 8:59AM
amandapac
This is a photo of my new kitchen and it looks very similar. I would maybe do small subway tiles.
3 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 7, 2013 at 6:02AM
house2514
I used a polished travertine.
5 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 7, 2013 at 6:06AM
BonTon tile
hand made tile will add a pop of color
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 7, 2013 at 6:22AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
It appears that your glass mosaic goes well with your granite. It is light enough in color that it won't look too busy and it will give sleek and contemporary feel to the room.

What is the color name of your granite? Colors in photos can be misleading sometimes.

You could turn it the other direction and install it vertically.

Here are a few more ideas.

Photo 1: Tile mosaics idea.
Photo 2: Tile mosaic idea.
Photo 3: Resin Panel from 3Form called Thatch. I have used these type of panels as backsplashes before. Another similar product is Lumicor. Go to each of their websites to see an array of choices.
Photo 4: Something different branching off from the typical subway look. I added a row of three 1x1 glass tiles in between 3x6 subway tiles. Amazingly it didn't look as busy as you would think. Especially if this was done with tone on tone, a more monochromatic look.
0 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 7, 2013 at 6:47AM
howellmsue
If you don't want something too busy choose something that is all one color and/or a larger tile.
1 Like   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 7, 2013 at 8:30AM
Glass Tile Store
I like Diana Helena Designs' suggestion. Also the lighting for the countertops in the pic she attached. As for the backsplash, something textured
1 Like   October 9, 2013 at 2:50PM
indianpatti
A larger size subway tile in an creamy beige
0 Likes   Thanked by xiomaragiselle    October 9, 2013 at 2:55PM
amandapac
Here is my painted kitchen that looks very similar. You have great taste ;)
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 6:01PM
Laura Vlaming | Arkiteriors
Your kitchen is similar to another dilemma, posted by amandaala, take a look at the comments on her post. I would keep it simple, to offset the texture of the granite. Larger format, clean, crisp lines, will go nicely with your style.
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 6:27PM
Ann
I agree with Darzy and Feeny. Just wondering, does your floor tile come in any other sizes? If the granite and floor look great together, using the same tile as backsplash is another possibility. From what I can see in the pictures, they look pretty good together.
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 6:49PM
Marj
LkDrew,
Here is a link to the finished kitchen with 13" squares of Titanium Negro, accented with copper colored metal. http://www.trulia.com/property/3100739980-7216-Braemar-Ln-Woodbury-MN-55125#photo-5
(I dont have these photos on the ipad so not sure how else to load)
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 11:11PM
zohrehalaghemand
I used glass subway tile and I love it.
1 Like   October 19, 2013 at 11:46PM
brickln
I agree with the large panels- let the countertops be the main attraction. I'd go with clear or architectural glass.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 2:34AM
amandapac
House 2514 I love your pick of the polished tiles! Back splash looks great and will stay timeless but have you considered a different color for the walls? I like your rug a lot maybe you can pick a color from there?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 5:58AM
dclostboy
@glasstilestore do you sell that textured thassos? I used thassos in beveled subway for my backsplash. Love the polish, consistency and texture with a nod to the traditional.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 6:11AM
dclostboy
Pic just doesn't capture the full beauty of the natural stone.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 6:12AM
Lourdes Roberts
My kitchen is almost identical to yours. I recently saw some postings on houzz for bronze colored mirror backsplashes. Posting off my phone so i don't know how to attach. Have seem with veining and plain. If you have lights under the cabinets, it doubles the light. Because my countertops have so much movement in the granite, i needed to stay away from multicolored tile, but the single color looked too drab. Quite the quandry!! The bronze mirrors; which i would recommend you get full sheets of mirror cut to size...... good luck. Please post your finished " After" fotos.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 6:38AM
Bridget
Haven't read all comments, so if repeating, I am sorry. I try and pick up a warm color from the granite. Love the look from Diane Helens Design. Gives a warm homey feel, not cold and sterile.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 6:44AM
brickln
To add to Lourdes comment, you could also go with smoke since you have black cabinetry. You can use colored glass rather than mirror if you're concerned about reflectiveness, but with deep colored mirror it's not much of an issue.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 7:35AM
Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
You are getting many different opinions. I would share a thought: We find that our clients, who consider many different options, usually go back to the first thing they really like, or something very similar. That being said, mosaics are a great backsplash choice. You may consider a glass/stone mosaic mix, which would help mellow the glass a bit. It doesn't say contemporary or traditional. Here are a few more ideas:
2 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 7:37AM
xiomaragiselle
Thank you everybody for your ideas! It has been really helpful. I've been doing research on some of your suggestions in the meantime. I don't seem to find the right glass tile color though, all of them have turned out to be "greenish" or grayish. Please take a look to the metal tile below, got this idea from @Diana Helen Designs!
3 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:22AM
dclostboy
The brushed looks nice and very modern
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 9:25AM
kmasj
We agonized over our backsplash tile too and finally settled on a beige travertine subway tile that complements, but doesn't overpower the granite. We like it a lot. I think a cream colored ceramic subway tile would look good too (that's what I wanted to go with but my husband preferred the travertine). Good luck with your decision!
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:36AM
Bridget
Just love when I look something up on Google and Houzz comes up, just a comment.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:42AM
oakleyspanky
We used pearl and cream penny rounds that have some sparkle...
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:49AM
Ann
xiomaragiselle, I like your metal tile sample very much!!!!
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 12:30PM
frodge
I like the metal too!
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 12:55PM
OK GROUP
We are the biggest handmade carpet and rug manufacturer

www.galleryottomanart.com
www.heirloomturkey.com
www.turkmencarpet.net

Regards
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 2:14PM
Need Help with kitchen, I need new countertops, sink and backsplash
This is Old Victorian, and I need new countertops as...
Lizabeth
need help with kitchen floor tile and backsplash! Please Help!
I am remodeling my kitchen and I have the cabinets...
emptynesterof2
Need help with kitchen counter and backsplash
My kitchen is outdated but I do not want to re-do the...
judy0316
Need help with kitchen backsplash
Just replaced kitchen cabinets in a small seasonal...
earliglo
I need help picking out kitchen backsplash tile
Renovating condo on the beach. Small kitchen just got...
roxxrn
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...
Need help with kitchen floor!
Hi. We are moving into a 73 year old cape cod home...
klrademacher
Night stand confusion
I have a beautiful mirrored nightstand for my side...
chasisty1
need help in my extiror
i saw this picture here in houzz and i need the rest...
pureme22
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda