Small updates to kitchen, stuck because of colors!!!
sandywjo
This kitchen was here when we moved in. We do not like the combination of white appliances with the off white or "cream" colored kraftmaid cabinets (still waiting for response from kraftmaid to tell us what color cabinets these even are) and white subway tile. We can't afford a new kitchen right now but I would at least like to update the wall color and backsplash. Countertop is in between a gray and beige, cabinets cream......HELP with wall paint color and backsplash colors please! Links to examples would be great. Low end budget. Thanks for your time!
housegal200
What about painting your kitchen and dining area walls white and your cabinets a pale gray? Get new cabinet hardware in same material as the faucet (Is it nickel?) That way you wouldn't have to get a new backsplash, countertops, or appliances until you're ready to do the big renovation you want. Remove the curtains as well and just have a white or bamboo roll-up shade. Get a beautiful hanging light fixture in white. Not crazy about the hanging cabinet that separates kitchen from what I assume is a dining area. Can you take that down and get a nice-sized pendant or two for that "L" counter? You'd have a much more open feel to your space if that hanging cabinet came down.
October 5, 2013 at 11:49am        Thanked by sandywjo
housegal200
Here's a picture of a kitchen with stock cabinets painted gray, although I picture a lighter gray than these. The reason I suggested white walls is that you can blend your existing white tile backsplash into the white walls. (Don't you want to bop somebody on the head for not running those tiles right up to the cabinets?)
October 5, 2013 at 1:58pm        Thanked by sandywjo
sandywjo
Thank you for taking the time to help me with suggestions! You have great ideas! Because of medical issues, painting the cabinets would be too labor intensive and I know its expensive to hire that work out, that's why I figured new backsplash and wall color would be the cheapest route to go for now to give this kitchen a different look without breaking the bank. And I agree it would look much more open with the top cabinets down, the only problem with that is we already lack cupboard space as it is, so that wouldn't be an functional option for us.
October 5, 2013 at 1:59pm   
sandywjo
wow that picture just popped up! I do like it! thanks. I need all the ideas I can get, it just gives me more options to consider maybe even if I have to wait longer and save up! Yes, I have a lot of issues with the way this kitchen was designed, I don't like the cream cabinets with those white appliances as I mentioned earlier, and the tile that stops mid wall. I could go on!
October 5, 2013 at 2:04pm   
Color Zen
I agree! My advice would be paint the cabinets- rather than trying to camouflage something you don't love. You would be surprised at how affordable hiring out cabinet painting can be! Some painters will remove the cabinets and spray them in their workspace. Spraying goes really fast. Good luck!
October 5, 2013 at 2:08pm     
indianpatti
I would suggest a linear, glass & stone mix mosaic tile. It is fairly inexpensive and Lowe's & Home Depot have many to select from.

Select one that has white, cream, gray & other colors. Then, choose a color from the tile to paint the walls .. say a nice greige, gray or even a blue if there is blue in the tile.
October 5, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by sandywjo
sandywjo
here is a photo of the dining and living area it opens up to
October 5, 2013 at 2:18pm   
housegal200
If you can't paint the cabinets, then I would suggest that you find pale gray subway tiles then paint the kitchen and dining areas in that same pale gray. Gray and cream can be a lovely combination with maybe some ime, bright blue, or orange accessories. That would cut down on the white except for the appliances. Make sure to bring the tiles right up to the bottom edge of the cabinets.

If you can't find pale gray tiles, then look for cream ones in the same shade as the cabinets, Make sure the color you pick also matches well with your countertops. Then do the pale gray walls. The other possibility are glass tiles in cream, white and gray something like those shown in the photo. Some of them at the big box should have the cream, These might be a tricky match with your countertops, though, so bring home a decent sized sample and see if it would work.
October 5, 2013 at 2:19pm        Thanked by sandywjo
sandywjo
thank you indianpatti! I love that kind of tile! great suggestion!
October 5, 2013 at 2:21pm   
housegal200
Thanks for the photo so that you can tie together the kitchen, dining area, and living room into one harmonious space. Now that I've seen your living room, may I suggest that a pale sage green might work better than gray for the entire space? That would pick up the color of your club chair and go well with the red couch. Then the mosaic glass tiles could be in white, cream, red, sage.
October 5, 2013 at 6:26pm      Thanked by sandywjo
sandywjo
housegal200, thanks but colors in this picture are coming off a bit deceiving. the couch is a deep red, the walls look pink lol but they are neutral and the club chair is what I would almost call greige. its in between gray and beige. I don't have any shades of green anywhere. Otherwise that would have been a great idea! I'm guessing your monitor shows otherwise. Wish I could have got the colors represented more accurately. Even the light blue in the artwork I painted is coming off quite different in the pic. Sorry
October 5, 2013 at 8:03pm   
housegal200
Got it! The existing paint does look pinkish, which throws everything off in the kitchen. Multicolored mosaic glass tiles that tie together the white, cream, gray in the countertops, and the living and dining room furniture would work. Then pick a very pale shade of one of the colors in the tile for your paint.
October 6, 2013 at 5:33am   
Genevieve
Paint the cabinets Espresso
espresso bean CSP-30

But if you are not going to change your appliances it will not work ,so either go with grey as already suggested to you or paint them white .

Lincoln Square Family Kitchen
Modern Random Mix Steel - Glass - Ceramic I, Sample
Modern Cobble Pattern Stainless Steel Mosaic Tile, Sample

If you find the white tiles a bit boring you could purchase a few decals to change their look ,those you can change as you wish ,I found these but there are more choices out there .

Wall Tile Decals
October 6, 2013 at 5:42am   
apple_pie_order
Have you looked at peel and stick wall tiles? Do a search for that phrase on amazon.com for many ideas.

At the very least, get some white paint matched to the current white tile backsplash color, and run a quick coat of paint over the 4" of beige wall just under the cabinets. Take the valence off the window.

Consider changing the fan ceiling light, too, when it is in the budget.
October 6, 2013 at 6:54am        Thanked by sandywjo
Genevieve
I have bought some of those peel and stick wall tiles for behind the stove in the summer kitchen ,they look nice but they are not cheap ,it is a quick fix , but you already have tiles so just embellish them ..
October 6, 2013 at 7:04am      Thanked by sandywjo
Genevieve
you could introduce some colour to your kitchen paint is affordable a fresh coat of pain t will give this room a different look

here is a fan just in case you want to change it :)
Lauren Meridian Ceiling Fan by Craftmade

looking at your cabinets Strawberries and cream came to mind
here is the paint

Strawberry Red 2003-20 Paint
how daring are you ? Is the question
Old Farmhouse
Plaid Red 16 Piece Dinnerware Set
October 6, 2013 at 7:09am        Thanked by sandywjo
Sustainable Dwellings
First of all, you need a visit from the clutter police. You have so much stuff in these rooms that don't "flow".... the gray wall idea is nice. Take that valance down, you can make an attractive valance or other window treatment. The fan/light should be replaced with something nice. The tops are fine.
October 6, 2013 at 7:12am   
sjkingston
Looking at the kitchen with fresh eyes this morning, what's distracting me is the contrast between the cream cabinets and the wall color. What about taking a drawer to Home Depot and color matching to the cabinets. That will make the soffits disappear. Then add a cream or white inexpensive bamboo shade to the window, or a roman shade made out of a cream/white patterned fabric. Then the only thing that would be "off" would be the color of the countertop but since it'a a horizontal surface, I suspect that once the walls blend with the cabinets, it would be less noticeable.
October 6, 2013 at 9:07am      Thanked by sandywjo
lazandjohn
For a really budget option what about tiling the gap (from top of tiled splash back to cupboards) in another colour, like the greys suggested above. Then paint walls (pale grey would be nice) and get a new blind for the window. I think the wall colour isn't doing the room any favours - maybe even just change that.
October 6, 2013 at 9:28am      Thanked by sandywjo
pallyt
I agree about matching the cabinet color to a wall color. Try it in a couple spots and see what difference it makes.
October 6, 2013 at 9:42am      Thanked by sandywjo
housegal200
Final thoughts:

It's important to consider your entire space, with the furnishings, as one large room, not just as a kitchen, ut including the bdining area, and living room. For harmony, all of the space and furnishings need to work together. Many of us weighed in before you included the living room area.

So your givens are: cream cabinets which you don't want to paint, white appliances, gray/white/cream countertops, dining set, red sofa, greige chair.

Mosaic tiles in cream, white, gray, and possibly a dark red incorporates all those colors. Or you match cream subway tiles to cream cabinets. I agree with lazandjohn that your existing paint color throughout, even if it isn't pinkish, doesn't serve your fixed furnishings, appliances, cabinets. Pale gray/greige (same color family as your armchair but much, much lighter) with white trim would give you a sophisticated look. If you could spring for that great fan Genevieve recommended for your living room, you'd add a lot style instantly. No valence at the window--just white matchstick or pleated roll-ups would help.

A red and cream indoor/outdoor rug in the kitchen would give you some color as would a red and cream linen dishtowel hanging from the stove handle. Put a few very large magnetic frames of beautiful food photographs on the fridge door to break up the white. Have some red accents here and there--dark red bowl on the dining table. A glass bowl of apples on the L of the kitchen counter and nothing else there since it's in view of the living room. A small white lamp with a red shade at the wall end of the L counter will add cozy light to your room. Have it on at night when you serve dinner. It will soften everything.

As for decluttering: If there's an electric plug in the far kitchen counter corner where your knives are, stick your coffee maker there instead and put your knives on the counter to the right of the stove . Place a small dish drain in the right-hand sink and keep the counter clean of clutter. Hang paper towel roller from cabinet, or better yet, put it under the sink.

Good luck with it all.
October 6, 2013 at 10:03am      Thanked by sandywjo
sandywjo
thank you all for your advice. I should have been more prepared before I decided to photograph anything which I did in such a rush. To be honest normally you wont find a drop of clutter anywhere in my house, but my husband had guys over for a barbeque as I photographed the kitchen and that's the only reason there are dishes out and what appears to be a huge mess. I will look into the gray paint as an option to tie the two rooms together for starters and removing the valance. The ceiling fan should go and I like the idea of the tiles pulling all the colors together.
October 6, 2013 at 12:18pm     
We would like to update our master bathroom because it's too small
We love our home but it was built in a "cookie cutter"...
Kitchen remodel stuck at lighting & wall color
We are replacing the tile countertops and backsplash,...
Stuck on what color to paint kitchen
Is light taupe color now with dark brown on back wall,...
Kitchen top and bottom cabinets slightly different lengths
Which cabinet do I use to line up the back splash tile?...
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
show organizational options for a closet that is 2 x 10ft?
Remodel of a closet has two doors in guest bedroom-good...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...