Need help for our new master bath
Sourtimes
We are remodeling our new master bath and I am in a dilemma. The space is not a perfect rectangle and is quite narrow, so the only way I could have a big vanity and large tub is to place the toilet right in front of the entrance. now I know that's one of the 7 sins of bathroom design, so we are thinking of making it into a small toilet room, but not sure where to place the door. It may look a bit weird if I put the toilet door facing the bathroom entrance, but if I put it on the side as seen in the drawing, my vanity won't be against a side wall. and I'd probably have to make the vanity a bit smaller so it won't be blocking the toilet room door. current design is not having a door in the bathroom entrance but just have a toilet room door as in the drawing. any thoughts?

I also thought about just using a privacy glass door facing the bathroom entrance, not sure if that would look better. but this way I would do a door on the bathroom. Dilemma dilemma.....
Can the door into the bathroom be moved?
October 5, 2013 at 1:58pm   
sstarr
Use a bifold door on the toilet enclosure, opening toward the entry door. What is the distance from the entry door to the toilet enclosure?
October 5, 2013 at 2:01pm        Thanked by Sourtimes
Sourtimes
the bathroom door was originally across from the sink but closer to where we plan to put the tub. we are moving the door already to make room for the tub and make it so the bathroom door will not be right in front of our bed.

the distance between entry door to toilet enclosure is probably 30 in. the width of the room on the small side is 65 in while the larger side is about 90 in.
October 5, 2013 at 2:11pm   
sstarr
30 in. is a very narrow passageway. I think you should mock this up with tape on the floor and see how it feels.
I did design one bath where there was not enough space for a stud wall, and placed a glass panel wall to widen the aisle:
October 5, 2013 at 2:18pm   
Sourtimes
the idea is that the glass panel is thinner than a stud wall so it would give it more space? so maybe just a privacy glass door facing entrance would be the way to go then?
October 5, 2013 at 2:22pm   
sstarr
You could do that, and pick up 3 to 4 inches in the entrance area.
What are the inside dimensions of the toilet enclosure? You should aim for 3' wide and 2' clearance from the front edge of the toilet to the door as a minimum.
October 5, 2013 at 2:28pm   
Sourtimes
not sure about the inside dimension. will have to measure more precisely. thank you very much for the suggestion
October 5, 2013 at 2:32pm   
DMH DESIGN
I like the (Dytecture) idea of moving the door to the bath, if the wall doesn't contain duct work or structural posts? This way you could create your two sink vanity and keep a larger, private toilet area, with a 1' deep hall accessible linen closet--if possible. Happy Houzzing.
October 5, 2013 at 2:35pm        Thanked by Sourtimes
smileyface2013
Instead of glass, could you put a half-wall separating the toilet from the rest of the room, and move the entry door as shown in DMH's drawing.
October 5, 2013 at 3:35pm      Thanked by Sourtimes
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
I'm back at your second sentence, sour... Just wondering what draws you re-doing this room with a large tub, and no shower. We see many more customers wanting exactly the opposite in a master bath.

And this room would very nicely support a great shower where you have your toilet compartment drawn - with the toilet at the other end, after your large vanity area - where it wouldn't need an enclosure. Your room would stay larger this way, too, without the enclosure's intrusion.

Just a thought... Good luck! Mark
October 5, 2013 at 3:36pm   
DMH DESIGN
Not knowing whether this was SFR or a condo, I was reluctant to show too much redo, in terms of convenience and expense. If in a SFR, or with a gracious Condo HOA/ACC, likely a 36" sq. shower could go where the w/c is now and the w/c could be centered 15" from the finished side of the old door location, and with the door swing as I have it, the w/c is out of the line of sight when opening the door from the relocated position. The shower door would be located on the side facing the relocated w/c, now at the other end of the space, and turned 90 degrees. A linen cabt could be wall mounted above the w/c tank. The more complicated this becomes, I can't recommend a local architect should be consulted to bring this all together for you, in terms of the bureucratic hassles, design subtleties and construction coordination. Happy Houzzing.
October 5, 2013 at 3:50pm   
DMH DESIGN
As you would have a window in both the tub and the shower, great care and detail should be taken in how the materials lining both, be they tile or solid surface, are installed to prevent the migration of any moisture into and around the window penetration. Working with a GC is suggested, and together the architect and GC can work with you on the best means to address such issues.
October 5, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Sourtimes
Thanks so much DMH for the drawing.

The reason why I'd like to keep the entrance door where it is now is because I do not want it o be in front of my bed. It's a silly Feng shui thing I know. Any other suggestion of how we can modify this w/o moving the door? Or the door could also be way to the end where the tub is right now, but then I don't know where to put tub or toilet.

The door is actually currently at the other end of the room, and my original plan was yo put tub on the other side, but contractor said I won't have enough space to get into the tub if we put tub against the corner thats wider. If we put it against the wall on the right, we would have almost 28inch of wasted space on the left at the end of tub which i don't know what to do. Not to mention I'd still have the door facing my bed.

Also we did not elect to add a shower because of budget. My contractor said tub would be cheaper.
October 5, 2013 at 5:43pm   
Sourtimes
how about this? would it be hard to get into the tub? if I put the tub against the wall on the right, I'd have the wasted space on the other end of the tub
October 5, 2013 at 5:53pm   
elphmer
Where is the bed?
October 5, 2013 at 6:18pm   
DMH DESIGN
Sourtimes, this is why it is great to have all the info prior to offering any design advice. I didn't know that moving the door was a non-starter, as it wasn't mentioned in your spiel at the top. Your last version can work, although it is odd to enter a tub from the end, vs the side, it is certainly possible. Yours involves redoing every bit of plumbing, because the tub/toilet and sink are all moving and requires different drain sizes. Perhaps it is best to live with the door in proximity of the w/c, in order to keep the costs down and the feng shui positive!
October 5, 2013 at 6:58pm   
Sourtimes
Elphmer: the bed is about 43 inches from the side of the top wall. So assuming we use a 30 inch door if we place the door 13 inches from the wall the bed will not be in front of the door. S I may try that just so the door is not right at the end of the room.
October 5, 2013 at 9:55pm   
DMH DESIGN
Sourtimes. A std. tub is 60" L. Moving the tub where the w/c is now & shifting the w/c up, IMHO, is a waste of resources. The 30" clr. from the end of the tub to the ex. door opng. remains 30", as in the compartmentalized w/c scenario---and you'd be entering from the end of the tub. Think about what you gain in the different scenarios--simplicity, fewer moving parts usually best.
October 6, 2013 at 4:41pm   
We need help with our new master bath layout
We are adding a new master bedroom and changing our...
Need to completely remodel the master bath in our new house.
Old carpet in the master bath....enough said. Need...
How much lighting for a powder room??
I'm remodeling my powder room and removing the vanity...
Cottage Home Floor
I plan to install the attached floors in my small lake...
Coffee table
Would love advice on how to position and what type...
(Scaling) My Hubby is getting SICK of this empty room (SO AM I!!)
........... It's the first room people see when they...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...