Need help with paint color for built-ins
megdonahue
We are repainting our new home and I was wondering what colors would look nice with these built-ins? I'm debating about painting them but not sure if I should, so I was looking for something to compliment them. Any advice appreciated!
janeinfo
How about Benjamin Moore Slate?
October 5, 2013 at 5:59PM   
edithsmom
Since the present yellow does not really complement the cabinet color, I would get paint samples and put them next to the cabinets, being sure to try the samples at different times of the day, in different light.
October 5, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Amy Cali
Yellow would be fine with the cabinets but not so great with the floor. Plus this yellow is too bright. I think a gray with a green undertone would work well with both the built ins and the floor. Something like BM gray cashmere may be worth a try.
October 5, 2013 at 7:29PM     
Here is another idea to provide some contrast with the color of the cabinets.

October 5, 2013 at 7:36PM     
losthorizonlisa
Your built-ins look great the way they are. What is on the floor and what furniture is going in? Is that a tray ceiling? I'd start with paint on the walls and shelf backs then go from there. Hard to say what color to paint without more info. Best to you!
October 5, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Unsaturated sage green:
October 5, 2013 at 8:49PM   
Supreme Floor Company
Get some sample colors they are around 5 dollars.. paint a few stripe then look at differnt times of day
October 5, 2013 at 9:00PM   
Supreme Floor Company
Some do on a board or piece of sheetrock..ok people tell me if im wrong . Paint goes darker..
October 5, 2013 at 9:01PM   
Gantt's Decorating
I would choose a much warmer wall color that blends with the wood tones. If it will work with your decor the closer the color is to the builtins the better everything will look. The sharp contrast against the wall color makes the built ins look like they are temporary. If you don'r paint the cabinets would also suggest adding a heavy crown molding at the ceiling which will give the illusion of permanence.
October 5, 2013 at 9:01PM   
irhlb
You can't go wrong with SW 6119 antique white on the walls. Alternately, you could paint the bookshelves. We just painted out all our wood buit-ins (dove white - Benjamin-Moore). The results are a lighter, much more contemporary beautiful space. Your choice, you really can't go wrong either way, have fun!
October 6, 2013 at 7:58AM   
alwaysdesigning
Your cabinets would look great in a really strong grey color and would complement the fireplace surround. I think then it would also blend nicely with the wall color. A mid-tone grey would be strong but not too dark. If you can find some other furniture pieces in the room to also paint the same grey, then it will bring the room into a blended look. Good luck
[houzz=Lakefront Prewar Co-op]
[houzz=Shoreline Traditional]
[houzz=Project in Tiburon]
October 6, 2013 at 8:12AM   
shelleyperry
In keeping with the idea of a warm color to go with the cabinets, I would suggest Monroe Bisque by Benjamin Moore. I have used it successfully several times...a great neutral, but distinctive.
October 6, 2013 at 8:12AM     
Ewelina Rostant
I would recommend Mount Saint Anne by Benjamine Moore. It will really make the colour of the cabinets pop. I would also paint the slanted portion of the ceiling to add height to the room.
October 6, 2013 at 8:19AM   
Need help redesigning & choosing a color for the living room built-ins
Hi there. I’m having a dilemma with our great room...
Need help decorating built-ins
We have a set of white built-in shelves along side...
Need Help updating wood built-in shelving
Like the storage in the living space but this wood...
Need help with built-ins around fireplace
I need storage, so I was thinking about putting built-ins...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Need advice on Kitchen backsplash please!
We replaced our old Formica countertops with granite,...
Please Help my Iowa State Office
Hi, I work for a not for profit organization. I have...
Looking for mirrored framed mirrors for master bath.
Need 2 widths, same height. Would rather buy ready...