Real Estate
cvenesco
how much money should be spent on staging a home for sale?
apple_pie_order
It depends on the price of the house and exactly what you mean by "staging". It's one thing to buy some fluffy towels and put out a plate of cookies, it's another to rent all the furniture and paint a vacant Malibu beach house.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:07PM
cvenesco
Thank you for your comment. According to realtor we need granite countertops and wallpaper removal . approximately $5,000 in a $349,000 home. Just wondering if that is reasonable.
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:26PM
apple_pie_order
It is situation-dependent. If you upload some photos with a new post, you'll probably get some comments. Many Houzz readers love to comment on "house for sale" fix-up questions. You can get some useful advice, just keep in mind that only you know your own market.

In most markets, the only things that get your money back are cleaning, repairing, and painting (decluttering costs nothing). In the painting department: removal of wallpaper is usually a good idea because it is rare for wallpaper to appeal to the majority of buyers. Many people use a rule of thumb to budget 1% of the house value per year for repairs. If the house has been nicely maintained, many people spend another 1% for fix-up before sale. If a house has been resold every 5 or 10 years, those numbers may be about right. If a house has not been sold in 50 years and has been neglected, those numbers will not be right, and the house will be marketed as a fixer-upper.

Choice of granite patterns is quite personal. I have seen a lot of granite ripped out by buyers. I would suggest looking at your house's competition on the MLS websites to see if they all have granite kitchens. See how they are presented and staged. You can ask your agent to pull a dozen recently sold comps and explain to you just which ones had granite kitchens that played a role in a fast or full price sale.

Good luck with your sale.
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:47PM
apple_pie_order
By the way, you might like to read this discussion thread all the way through: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/673366
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 9:49PM
kadodi
Absolutely not!! You do not need to add granite to sell a home. These realtors are something else. What are the chances that you will pick a granite that someone else loves? Address everything you can as far as inspectable things so that all are in working condition. Anything you add should increase the appraisal or you shouldn't add it. A new roof or furnace increases the appraisal, new granite doesn't. Purge items and possibly rent a storage container to make the house look impersonal and the rooms look bigger. Clean your house until it shines.
3 Likes   Thanked by cvenesco    October 6, 2013 at 6:20AM
edithsmom
Listen to Kadodi...like many my age, I have bought and sold several times over the years, and suggest you remove wallpaper anywhere and repair, declutter (more than you think you need to) and clean.
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 7:12AM
cvenesco
Thank you kadodi. i did neglect to state the existing counters are 16 year old formica and scratched, stained and I have hated them for years. Does that change your opinion?
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 8:21AM
apple_pie_order
Do you have photos?
0 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 8:23AM
kadodi
No, it will not change the appraisal and is not an inspectable item. Having said that, replacing might help you sell the house faster. But don't change because YOU hate them. Do change if they are in disrepair. I would replace Formica with Formica. Likely everything else is Formica-quality, so the don't use granite..... That would be like lipstick on a pig. Now look at things objectively and decide if new owners may want to update everything. If you think that is the case, it's cheaper to accept a little lower offer than it is to invest a lot of money that you won't recoup.
2 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 8:43AM
Real Estate Lawyer
Hi All, can anyone recommend a successful RE lawyer...
Real Estate Agents
Houzz should have a category for REALTORs. We are often...
Real Estate Agents
I would like to see houzz add real estate agents to...
Hello all Architects, Contractors, Developers and Real Estate Pros!
I am new the Houzz and wanted to introduce my company,...
Window Covering suggestions
Can't decide how to cover these windows?? North facing...
SUNROOM REDO...Need design help
We moved into this house a couple years ago. This Sunroom...
Need help! Total kitchen remodel 1930's wood home
I am doing a complete remodel of my kitchen and need...
Living Room Dilemma
I am struggling with ideas on how to arrange a living...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...