Unexpected kitchen remodel, have to make pretty quick decisions
dshager
A dishwasher leak had us removing the hardwood floors, (the base cabinet, and island are gone and we're walking on the subfloor while it dries out). I have to decide pretty quickly what to put back in. I dont like the white cabinets because ai have three kids and they dont stay white. And the GE cafe range may go away and be replaced with a cluny Lacanche. I need suggestions for colors, floor, cabinets, island, going granite for most of the countertops. There are so many options im overwhelmed! And the floor refinishing will be for my Whole first floor! So it will have quite n impact! Suggestions?
Lazzell Design Works
If children are a concern, consider lightly distressed cabinets so dings and prints won't be as noticable.
2 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 6:31PM
solraven
I'll give you the same advice, my sister gave me, when I found myself in a similar, rapid reno, situation. Look at a bunch of pictures of kitchens, when you see a picture that appeals to you, save it. Don't analyze the picture, or just pick pictures that you "think" are your taste. Pick pictures that immediately appeal to your eye.

Then, look at the photos, and see what they have in common.

Next, go to the store, and see things in person. When something appeals to you, take a picture, and see how you feel about it the next day. Above all, trust your gut reaction to things, because as you know, it's always right. :)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 7:08PM
How about white uppers and black lowers, set the kids stuff for the lowers;)

1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 7:20PM
Since you are up grading, take down the wallpaper border, paint and don't forget new lighting;)
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 7:22PM
soozbc
I agree with Solraven - Bad electrical problem just threw us into kitchen reno mode last week and they are coming on Monday to demolish everything back to the studs and start over. I got some books and magazines and flipped through them. Everytime I thought "I like that" I paid attention and withing a few hours I knew what I wanted. I don't care what the latest trend is. I want a practical, affordable, clean and uncluttered new kitchen. Hopefully about five weeks from now, it will be in place. Go with your gut and choose what you like.
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 7:43PM
sstarr
ooh, Lacanche, my favorite!! What color?? Depending on your choice for the range, you can select a cabinet color to harmonize.
3 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
All good advice, DS. Another suggestion - build your new ensemble one choice at a time. Start with cabinetry style, material, color. Then decide what floor tone will be this cabinetry's best companion. Add one element at a time. Then countertops, floor color, appliances... Some elements could be chosen as things proceed ...backsplash, lighting, cabinet hardware, etc.
Have Fun! Mark
1 Like   October 5, 2013 at 8:30PM
Elisa Waysenson
Please let me know if you need any Lacanche advice :) Will be delighted to help...
Elisa@frenchranges.com
1 Like   October 11, 2013 at 8:08PM
sstarr
Elisa, I want one for my kitchen project, which will be happening late this winter.
1 Like   October 11, 2013 at 8:13PM
Dullea and Associates Inc.
You should eliminate the soffit and take your cabinets to the ceiling. I would also like to suggest that you remove the fluorescent light fixture. Add recessed, undercounter and pendant lights. Make sure you have them on dimmers.
1 Like   October 11, 2013 at 8:15PM
dshager
Hi Elisa, thanks for the offer! My husband just visited the showroom in Seattle and that cleared up most of my questions. I am still debating on gas vs electric ovens. I was thinking about putting an electric wall oven in and keeping the Lacanche gas. We lose power where we live frequently, and it can stay out for several days, so a gas oven as well as cooktop would be handy. If I am going overbudget (dont have an estimate on cabinets and stuff yet) with all this though, then I may want electric oven and skip a wall oven. So I guess my question is: how do the gas ovens cook? I have some frinds that have had gas ovens (not Lacanche) and they didnt like them at all, said they always overcooked at burnt stuff. And thinking of a camp gas oven we had, I seem to recall it was tough to get it's temperature right, it was hot alot. Again not a Lacanche. Sorry so long. Thanks! Dorothy
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 3:45AM
dshager
I will definitly be ditching the light fixtures, and I like the look of cabinets to ceiling, especially when the top row has glass and are lighted! I have a textured ceiling, so I'm hoping that doesnt present a problem.
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 3:48AM
dshager
Elisa, just saw you put an email, I'll shoot you one.
1 Like   October 12, 2013 at 3:49AM
dshager
It's tough to tell in the picture, but those cabinets are only 36" high, and those are 9' ceilings. Which means I can barely reach the second shelf in them! They are 24" above the counters! While that makes the kitchen feel bigger I do want to drop them some, has anyone done cabinets at 20 or 21 " instead of 18? Do you like it?
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 3:56AM
Laurie
Very easy to get rid of a textured ceiling if you don't want it anymore. I also went with a gas cooktop and electric oven. Electric ovens produce even cooking as opposed to gas. Would you consider tile floor instead of wood since you're problem was a leaky dishwasher and that could happen again :( (happened to me 3 times-thank goodness for tile floor!)
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 4:18AM
dshager
I had tile in my last house and hated it for two reasons, it was so hard on my back standing and cooking on it all the time, and it was white with dark grout - ugly. I know I can use whatever color now, but I still think its too hard on my back.
As for the ceiling change, I have one continuous ceiling for the entire first floor, except for the closets and half bath, so I think any change of texture would be pretty impactful.
0 Likes   October 12, 2013 at 4:34AM
dshager
New design, what do you think? I am concerned the fridge wall section with the 27", 24", 27" section will look disproportionate, but not sure how to make larger cabinets fit though.
0 Likes   December 15, 2013 at 3:28AM
Decisions, decisions, decisions! Kitchen remodel dilemma!
We are updating our kitchen counters and although I...
Margie Hernandez
need to make a quick decision on patio step to driveway
We widened our bedroom by taking about 5 feet from...
yumnab
Help! Quick/Easy Solutions to making an ugly office pretty
Our team recently moved into a new office that could...
dlahaye
Trying to do a quick inexpensive update to kitchen before total remodel in a year.
I am thinking painting cabinets and a chandelier over...
surf37
Need suggestions quick..flooded kitchen remodel!
Can you tell me what color these cabinets are?
claireb
Roman shades with panels for office?
I'm in the process of decorating a small office. I...
kamella
Need help with exterior of new house
We are moving into new home being finished. Builder...
scopprn
Best part of living in the Pacific Northwest?
Do you or have you lived in the Pacific Northwest?...
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Show us your Christmas tree!
Only 2 days left until Christmas, and we want to see...
Jeannie Nguyen