An 1990's retro bathroom to contemporary(from snail shower to a rectan
Clara
This master bathroom is big! It needs a lot of work. ideas from our designer; free standing bath tub, rectangular tile in one direction on floor and in shower on a different direction. Double glass doors...excited about the project. Would love ideas!
Clara
Keeping mirror without breaking.. A challenge! Also, just want to make it clear. We are getting rid of the snail shower and making it a rectangular shower with double glass doors.
October 5, 2013 at 10:16pm     
auntiebuzzybee
Am I to understand you are keeping the mirror? And demo the tile top or replacing vanity? What have you and your designer decided in your rdesign plan? Are these two separate vanity spaces? I would say frame them out using narrow cabinetry pieces in the side niches and IF there is only one sink, now would be the time to get the plumbing put in for two.
I am finishing a tiny difficult bathroom remodel. It should be finished Monday. I had several bids, not all on purpose but listened and learned from each one. Though my bathroom is tiny, it was difficult, tedious job. There were many many cuts to the tile. The huge mirror was the biggest part of the bathroom. It was also one of the biggest questions as to whether to remove and replace with mirrors appropriately sized to my vanity. I really hesitated to remove because it made the tiny room look bigger. However thd mirror was showing black spects and aging. Couple contractors said if the mirror came down, the wall behind it wohld be ruined and need to drywall. Nobody said it would come down in one piece. It came down in two pieces and I didn't ask if that was necessary!!! ( lol!) I turned around to see them oitside with it and my wall was intact. Just as the ckntractor said, the black speckles were coming from the old globs of glue behind the MY POINT IS, WITH THAT, YOUR GUYS SHOULD CETAINLY BE ABLE TO SAVE YOURS!!!!. My guys keep reminding that I AM THE BOSS and I am the one that will have to be happy with it and live with it SO I have learned that from them and they are right. I know they are. I hope you get good people. DO PLAN AHEAD. DO PLAN ON BACKORDERS. You designer should guide you through the bumps! DO THINK OF MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING.
RE PLUMBIMG: if you are doing shower system consider following..
#1- do you have enough water pressure to house
#2- is your water heater sufficient?
#3-is your drain sufficient to handle extra water coming at drain?

Have you hired this designer? Lietening is key to both sides. It would be helpful to know if you have come to agreement,contract and plans.
October 6, 2013 at 12:51am     
auntiebuzzybee
OH, do you mean gou are keeping your glass block? All of it? Goodness!
October 6, 2013 at 1:20am   
A floor plan would be helpful.
October 6, 2013 at 5:37am   
Clara
Will start from down up answering questions. Yes, I agree a floor plan. It is not that hard but what is hard is to take good pictures of the bathroom. The lense is not wide enough. Correction: we are keeping the mirrors if we dont break them trying to take out the gold from the bottom.. She said it will save you 400 each. THey are huge, they are two. The one in the right side with chair is mine, a contemporary stool will be waiting for us at the end. The other one is my husbands. That was funny bsellers1394. She asked us about the glass block snail shower not wanting to intrude, but we had that clear from the beginning. Snail shower will go.THe window is also glass block and will go and will be replaced by a simple glass with privacy.
October 6, 2013 at 7:10am   
apple_pie_order
Now that is a big project. If I understand correctly, you are keeping the glass block shower, everything else stays where it is, and the tile is going to be all new?

You might want to upload more photos taken in daylight with all the lights on. The through-the-mirror light installation is a custom touch that you may want to keep with all new fixtures.
October 6, 2013 at 7:20am   
auntiebuzzybee
I know I'm confused !! Title of dilemma says snail shower to rectangle. I assumed that meant shower shape and glass block. @Apple, are they keeping the glass block snail shower? What about the tile floor? Is that the tub you are keeping? Hey!!! How about a chandelier!? (Lol!)
October 6, 2013 at 8:22am   
apple_pie_order
@bsellers: the original poster said the bathroom was hard to photograph. I don't know if they are tearing down the glass block walls of the shower. It is an unusually fascinating bathroom remodel, so I hope she posts some more photos and a floor plan.
October 6, 2013 at 8:28am   
auntiebuzzybee
I guess I started to wonder what could (bold type)"I" do to contribute if all was staying and planned etc. That's why I said "how about a chandelier?" LOL! I'm fresh out out of ideas! I'll get get out of y'all's way now. I couldn't tell that was glassblock in tub alcove however I'm seeing some design on the otherside of the glassblock window like a balloon valance? Is this tub glass on an exterior wall? Maybe this means tub(not this one) and shower are going to be in same huge tiled area with double doors like in the magazines!!! :-) I'll be watching for this conversation. Hopefully I'll not get in the way! Best Wishes!
October 6, 2013 at 2:20pm   
Linda
If 1990s is Retro, what does that make me? Vintage? Antique? Prehistoric? (that's what my children would say...)
October 6, 2013 at 3:08pm     
Clara
bsellers1394 sorry about the confusion. We are changing tile, sinks, will replace gold touches by silver ones, glass block will not be there. We will replace it with double shower doors but 3 panels, 2 small benches in both sides for symmetry. Linda, you are cute. if was made in 1990 but the actual decor is retro. Look at it, it looks like from the 20's. I can tell they custom made it and they used a designer to get that look. Ok, so English is my second language, my first language is Spanish. I am Colombian. But I am not able to change the title! Sorry about that. apple_pie_order yes I need to post more pictures.. so you can see the doors that lead to the his and hers closet respectability . She also suggested chandeliers. I will be posting what we like and you guys could give me a feedback on things.
October 6, 2013 at 5:19pm   
Clara
I have to share the designers idea, I never heard it before but then again this is the first time we are remodeling any bathroom. Because the cabinets are solid oak, she suggested to change the panels for new ones and then a cabinet maker will come and use veneers to cover the rest of the cabinets. We are very excited about that since we can do that through out the house one day. (The kitchen is HUGE with lots of old cabinets)

bsellers1394

Am I to understand you are keeping the mirror?
The only part of the mirror that we don't like is the bottom it has a gold small border. I am actually thinking in talking to the contractor to see if there is anyway for the silestone to cover that. Who knows maybe there is a way..
My husband and I would like to keep it simple so using a frame would not do. But what do you all think about just spraying it with silver...? It is very slim.

And demo the tile top or replacing vanity? Both.

What have you and your designer decided in your redesign plan? Are these two separate vanity spaces?

Both sinks are here, they look like the same but there are 2 pictures, one for him and the one with the chair and bigger one for me ;)

Also, we do have double showers now so we love it. We will have them again.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the mirror. It is very valuable. OUr mirrors are in good shape. The original owners did spend a lot in the house so I bet they payed lots for the mirrors. Did you get to see the faucets? gold and burgundy.?

Yes, we have 2 water heaters and we are just using the same plumbing for the shower that we had.

Yes, I need to take pictures of it also.

We love the designer. Will be updating with the scope of the job.
October 6, 2013 at 5:33pm   
Clara
Another area of the house in the progress: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/623908#1566424
October 6, 2013 at 5:38pm   
auntiebuzzybee
Clara, that is very good idea to do "refacing" of your cabinetry. Many people do this if the cabinet "boxes" are still good. It will save you a lot of money and you will be saving excessive material in the earth's landfill. You will still be able to pick your colour and style of the fronts.Good of your designer to offer this option to you.
October 6, 2013 at 9:00pm     
Clara
One of my friends is buying a new house, value of cabinets 52,000 nicer in the kitchen in bathrooms and look alikes in the washer and dryer room. She said that they are simple. Nothing to elaborated. It is crazy. Bsellers1394 I do enjoy recycling! Wish I could do more of that!
October 7, 2013 at 7:50am   
Clara
His sink. Better picture..
October 7, 2013 at 11:05am   
karemore55
Clara, Hello again! I was going to stay off this post because I know you like modern, and my aesthetic tends to be traditional so I felt I couldn't offer you much.

But I will suggest a couple of things: First, I do not like vessel sinks and I'm not sure how long they will be "in style" . My reasons for not liking them are practical - they look like they would be quite awkward to wash your face at. I picture people bumping their arms and just generally having to be aware of the sink while they are washing.

Second: I'm not sure if you are wanting to involve an electrician, since this will drive up costs, but is it possible to have wall sconces on each side,of the sinks? You would still need the overhead light, but if good lighting has been an issue for you, side lighting would solve that.

Just thought I'd share a couple of practical issues, but I'm not going to be the one who suggests the perfect tile for you, I'm pretty sure!:))
October 10, 2013 at 5:16pm   
karemore55
I should clarify that the reason for the rant about vessel sinks was in case your designer is suggesting them. I should also add that for countertops, I highly recommend quartz. Have a look at the Cambria website for some idea of colors and patterns available. There are other manufacturers of quartz also - Caesarstone comes to mind.
October 10, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Clara
I agree with you Karemore we don't like them either. Although we already have one vessel sink in the half bathroom made by the previous owner. It doesn't have a cabinet, it is tiny and it seems like it made sense there. We will look into the quartz brands, I was not aware of them, thank you. But even before that....the challenge, see the house has travertine floors, oak floors and beige carpets..Now we will do 3 bathrooms.. My idea would be to have something in the same gamma of colors for the 2 bathrooms but my husband wants a more modern tone. The designer already advice us that we can't do a gray because the master bedroom tone would not go. It is true, have you have seen the combination in bathroom of gray and creamy beige? It looks awful in my eyes..
October 11, 2013 at 6:36am   
karemore55
This is why it's great that you are working with a designer. She will help you to find a way to marry the two looks. It is really hard updating a home a little bit at a time because you have to honor what is already there - and might be there for awhile - yet, keep a vision in your head of how it will all look eventually. Not easy to do.

I'll keep following the comments - it will be interesting to see the progress. And keep posting the suggestions the designer makes!
October 11, 2013 at 11:10am        Thanked by Clara
Glass brick has been making a come back. So on window might work. But all other and tile needs demo. There are so many glass tiles and products on the market now for bath room. Keep it lights and modern brush nickel is here to stay. Dark vanity with different mirrors are great. Mix it up think outside the box. Wall colors should be same tone. In each rm.
October 11, 2013 at 11:20am        Thanked by Clara
karemore55
Clara, it occurred to me that perhaps you won't be using the designer for the bathroom re-do either, because of costs? In which case, I thought I'd offer up some more ideas and musings:

First, for the tub - I know freestanding is "the look" these says but IMO it has some disadvantages, the main one beingmthatmyou have nowhere to out things when you are bathing. So then you need a little cart on wheels that you keep nearby that holds all this stuff. My other issue, and this is for me personally since probably most people shower, is that you have to keep the faucets at the big of a freestanding tub or it won't look right. I bath every night, then wash my hair every couple of days in the morning by leaning over the edge of the tub - so you can't do this if the faucets are at the back. I'm not even convinced the freestanding tub "look" is here to stay. I feel the same about the vessel sinks. So, when you replace your tub, consider surrounding it with a deck made from the same quartz you use for your vanity countertops, then for the skirting (around the sides), you could do wood panelling painted to match your vanity color, or just tile it.

For tile, I think a perfect blend of modern and traditional is any tile that somewhat suggests marble. You can get colors that blend a bit of grey and a bit of gold to coordinate with the travertine in the other rooms, and have a classic, timeless look that would suit either modern or traditional tastes. I posted a couple of pics of bathrooms to show you the look. They probably used marble, but there are some great, well-priced porcelain tiles out there that look similar to marble.

Also, you can go to a tile store, or a flooring store that carries tile, and look at boards of what they call tile suites. These show one tile pattern, but with options for different sizes and shapes of the tiles in that pattern. This way, you can change up the shape and size of the tile but still have everything blend and look good together.

The samples in pics three and four are some of Cambria's quartz that looks like marble. The first is called Torquay, and the second sample is Waverton. Other quartz companies, like Caesarstone for example, should carry similar - I'm just more familiar with Cambria because I have used it in my own home.

You could copy the look of pic one and really not go wrong in terms of getting a look that will be around for a,long time. Use shiny chrome for the faucets, lighting and towel bars for a bit of bling, use a similar wall color - nice and neutral and will work nicely with the colors in the rest of your house.

Hope this helps!
October 12, 2013 at 1:18pm        Thanked by Clara
karemore55
Clara, a couple of ideas for lighting. Again, a mix of modern and traditional. Also, was thinking about that gold band you need to rip out from below the mirror - can you just spray paint it silver? Would save a lot of work.
October 12, 2013 at 1:24pm        Thanked by Clara
Clara
Agree about the painting of silver! We would like to use her services for the bathroom. There is demolition involved and a lot of matching to do. I can't wait to see what the quartz companies have to offer..
My husband is not convinced about the free standing tub. maybe I should really pay attention into the looks of other projects. we like the sitting down..in the step.

I just shared your message with my husband...
October 15, 2013 at 2:26pm     
karemore55
Clara, you will see freestanding tubs everywhere! Right now, they're as popular as the big tub with the tile surround that you have was back in the 90's. I suppose in about 10 - 15 years, something else will come along. I think, in the case of the tub - because those freestanding tubs are expensive - you should out in what you think will be most functional for you. Yes, freestanding is all the rage, but I don't think they're right for everyone - or even every home!
October 15, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Clara
Travisinteriors... Maybe you got a point. I also like the lights in this bathroom..

karemore55 I was told that for a Jacuzzi free-standing you would need to pay 6,000. agree with you..
October 16, 2013 at 3:55am   
Clara
Have you seen the steam shower?
October 16, 2013 at 4:17am   
Clara
By the way.. I have been asking about the epoxy grout that last longer. No contractor I have call wants to do it. They say it takes too long and it is too hard to install.
October 16, 2013 at 4:18am   
inparadisewithpaper
If it was my bathroom I would consider taking down the one mirror over the sink and update it with something more modern like a framed mirror with other lighting. I think the large mirrors are a thing of the past. You are putting all that money into the remodel and like the others say it is only a matter of time before it starts to mark. T.J Max, Marshall's and also Ross have great selections of inexpensive mirrors that would add texture to the room. Removing the glass block shower will add space and help with the open feel of the room.

I am in the process of a bathroom remodel and I am stuck on the bathtub. The freestanding tub has a great look for now but It will be out in no time in my opinion. My kids are all teenagers but, the next generation for that tub would be grand kids..how would one bath a little one in that tub or as I get older I see it as a hazard to get into.That is from a functionality stand point.
October 16, 2013 at 4:57am     
karemore55
Clara, if you are looking for a way to get the grout to last longer, it must be sealed with 2 - 3 coats of grout sealer after it has dried. I think you have to wait a few days or more for the grout to be totally set before you squirt on the sealer. We use this everytime we tile - it's a must!

Not sure about that steam shower, but then I'm not into steam showers lol.
October 16, 2013 at 2:07pm        Thanked by Clara
Clara
SOmehow I skipped this messages. Sorry.
November 4, 2013 at 12:04pm   
Clara
For the mirror. We are not into framing mirrors. We believe it is contrary to the modern look because it takes away simplicity. Clean lines etc.
http://shop.ferguson.com/product/George-Kovacs-GKVP5217-Chrome-647411?Ntt=cubism+georg&Ns=AvailabilitySort|0||Primary_Finish|1||Sort_Order|1&term=cubism+georg
http://shop.ferguson.com/product/George-Kovacs-GKVP5253-Chrome-276431?Ntt=pillow+georg&Ns=AvailabilitySort|0||Primary_Finish|1||Sort_Order|1&term=pillow+georg
November 4, 2013 at 12:07pm     
Clara
Chandeliers for bathroom.
November 4, 2013 at 12:13pm     
November 4, 2013 at 12:17pm     
karemore55
Hi Clara, All your choices are lovely. My favourite for the vanity light is the one below (easier to re-post it than describe it lol).

The only one I'm not sure about is the shower faucet set. It doesn't look as contemporary as the other sets. Is there something with cleaner lines, something more in keeping,with the lines do the sink faucets?
November 17, 2013 at 1:06pm   
karemore55
I should add that I like the round sink, as opposed to a square one. Even though you are going contemporary, some soft rounded shapes here and there is good. Otherwise it will start to look a little too "hard".
November 17, 2013 at 1:07pm   
Marzi Sinks
It seems as iff you are getting along well on your project but we would love to make you aware of our product. We manufacture ceramic sinks here in the USA and have been in business for over 50 years. Please see us on Houzz or visit our website www.marzisinks.com. I have attached a couple of photos. Thank you.
November 17, 2013 at 1:33pm   
Clara
For the small bathrooms we will do oval but the big bathroom there is a lot of space so rectangular. We started looking at the delta faucets square looking. Loved them but then we found out that there are other brands with better qualities and same prices but the designs are ok. So not the faucet in the right, the one in the left.
November 22, 2013 at 6:24pm     
1990s contemporary kitchen. Help, please!
I'm moving into my new house next week and I love the...
Need help with retro-contemporary 60's post and beam home
We are getting read to close escrow on a 60's post...
We are working on remolding our 1990's master bathroom
We have been working on this remodel for over a year...
Need help with this 1960s retro bathroom.
We are on a tight budget. Tile is in great shape, but...
Ideas to decorate the recess window areas
It is a very sunny area due to all the windows facing...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...