Need help with living room layout!!
Karen McBryde
We recently removed a bedroom to create a larger living room, however the bathroom and linen doorways are to the right side which makes placement of furniture tricky.
The entire lounge & dining is about 6 meters by 4.25 meters (20 feet by 14). Photos & floor plan below show the current layout, I'm happy to change anything and everything!!
Thanks :)
dclostboy
Sofa feels tight on the dining area. Move closer to tv. Define dining with an area rug. Open arm chairs along back wall for more seating?
October 6, 2013 at 7:29am     
promocodes
Think about cleaning up any type of mess, then try moving furniture or buying 1 seater chairs, consider getting a media cabinet.
October 6, 2013 at 7:44am   
Karen McBryde
Is a media cabinet in front of windows okay? I have no blank wall at all :( and would I need a smaller lounge before squeezing in an armchair? I've moved the furniture around but I think the lounge is too big so I'm open to getting new stuff, I've had this furniture for a while so I'm not too worried about getting all new
October 6, 2013 at 7:48am   
Ashley Szydloski
Your house is so cute. I am having the same problem with my living / dinning. I would do a accent chair and maybe a smaller two person couch?
October 6, 2013 at 7:57am     
Karen McBryde
Thanks Ashley :) I can get a smaller dining set too, so maybe smaller everything and then a chair on the left? I just really hate looking at the back of the lounge and I feel like it cuts my new bigger room in half.
October 6, 2013 at 8:04am     
lazandjohn
Is that a blank wall near the dining table? What about hanging the TV on the wall? Then you can get rid of the cabinet it's sitting on which frees up floor space and makes the room feel larger (maybe some shelves on wall/s for storage). Then a sofa could go under the window near the front door (maybe your current one is too large) and a single armchair in the room to define the living/TV area. Dining table then goes down the other end of room where the TV is now. Having the TV on the wall then makes it less of a focal point. If you get a bracket that moves you can adjust where the TV is pointing, and it can be pushed away when not in use. It's also fairly easy to have all the cords hidden behind the wall/TV.
October 6, 2013 at 8:07am     
Nelly
Bueno hay que poner el sillon,a costado de la pared y al frente el tv,el sillon,es muy grande,achica el hambiente,y poner una alfombra donde vael sillon,para separ un poco el hambiente,el color es muy unifome,se podria pintar de otro color que le de mas vida al living,o poniendo almohadones .
October 6, 2013 at 8:15am   
2taniya
Would you consider putting the TV and its console angled across the corner to the left of it's current location? The sofa would also be angled and parallel to the TV. Your current sofa might be a little too long for that and it might be awkward to move about the room - hard to tell in these small spaces til you try it.

Or you might try the TV between the 2 windows on the left wall with the sofa again parallel to it - walk behind the sofa to get to the dining/kitchen area. That way the sofa would also face the front door and be welcoming or at least inclusive of someone walking in. Does the table have a leaf that could be removed to make it smaller? If so, try that and put the extra chairs around the living area, and the leaf could store under the sofa or under your bed.

Once you get the big pieces arranged so that you like the look and flow, you can fill in with smaller pieces, rugs, pictures, other items. If possible remove the stool and pile of books on it as well as the pile between that and the TV.
October 6, 2013 at 8:45am   
martaacosta
i agree with lazandjohn. but may be i would recomed on closig the windows in order to make that wall where the tv is now in a blank one. Then i would put in each side of the tv mirrors (floor to ceiling lengh) to make the room feel bigger. I also would buy a smaller sofa. But i think that closing those windows could make the look/view of the front of your house look not so good and that is why i agrre with lazandjohn. well my idea in pictures is something like this...
October 6, 2013 at 8:54am     
Karen McBryde
Hi all! Thank you so much for your help!
I really like the floating shelf idea instead of the tv cabinet, because yes there is a fantastic blank wall behind the dining table.
The only reason I didn't want to do that is walking immediately in between the lounge & tv, but honestly I think it is a better option than the way it's currently set up!
I will rearrange and spend time in the room to we how it feels and get the hubby (carpenter!) to do some shelves.
I also love the lighter timber colour used in those pics so I think I'll look for a new dining table smaller in that tone. The legs not showing also makes the space appear bigger - is that right? Xxx
October 6, 2013 at 3:37pm   
Karen McBryde
Here's how it looks now.. Thoughts??
October 6, 2013 at 10:16pm     
Karen McBryde
And...
October 6, 2013 at 10:23pm     
Sharon
I much prefer it this way! Do you?
October 7, 2013 at 4:04am     
lazandjohn
I also think that's much better. Nicer walking in the front door to space, rather than into a dining table.
October 7, 2013 at 4:24am     
I don't care for front door traffic between the TV and seated audience, or the dining table so far from the kitchen. Keep TV where it originally was but centered between the windows and set it on a swivel so it can be adjusted for best viewing. Move the sofa under the windows to the right of the door and float the dining set, closed if there are leaves, straight out from the kitchen counter/bar. Extend the chain on a new light fixture and swag it to hang 36" or less above the table top. Hang a floating buffet on the wall left of the door with art piece above. That should keep the floor clear so if there is room, anchor the table with a rug that is 4 feet wider and longer than the table top. Stationary drapery panels floor to ceiling will add some pattern and more color, along with the rug.
Lake Road Dining Room
Noor's Place
October 7, 2013 at 5:38am     
Living Room Layout help Needed! Open plan layout
Dear Houzz members, I have been struggling to come...
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Desperately need layout help for small space: living room/dining room
Need some ideas on how to layout the dining area and...
Needing help with living room/dining room layout
Hello, I have recently moved into a new apartment...
VOTE: What color Fireplace?
Room will be cleared out and painted SW Meiga Greige....
living room window treatments
Can I use two different window treatments in the living...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Need help with Master Suite design
I am seeking some help with design of master wing of...