Huge shelf!
jafree
I loved this shelf when we built our home button what've no clue what to put on it. It has a carpeted floor and is even with our second story in our two story living room. It is above our fireplace. There is an electrical outlet up there as well!
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
A photo that includes the entire room would be most helpful.
October 6, 2013 at 10:54AM   
My friend has a large shelf/ledge in her foyer. She bought two miniature ice cream chairs and had a florist install a silk arrangement attached to the seat of one of them. That is where it sits. She never used the second chair. Depending on your style, miniature children's furniture in a vignette can be effective as can large pieces of pottery more like what you might use in the garden setting. What did you envision when you originally installed this shelf? That might be a consideration.
October 6, 2013 at 11:12AM   
Genevieve
this is a double post
October 6, 2013 at 11:13AM   
Yes, I would like to know the thought process that you had coming up with this design. Now, you want to know what to do with it??
October 6, 2013 at 11:15AM     
I'd take it out. Let the wall over the fireplace soar.
October 6, 2013 at 11:22AM     
soberg
Time out space for ill-behaved family members?

Large decorative neon sign?

Asian-type decorative screen?

Massive ornamental pots?

Large plant with grow light?

Sculpture? Massive neoclassical bust such as of Roman emperor?

Perch for owls or parrots?

Almost any good looking large objects, in odd numbered groups....1, 3, 5...

IMPORTANT: Whatever you put up there, be sure to anchor it securely for safety reasons.
October 6, 2013 at 11:24AM   
unwantedadvice
May I ask why you had it carpeted? It looks difficult to take that vacuum up there and possibly dangerous and scary for you! OMG, I really don't know what to tell you. :/
October 6, 2013 at 11:28AM     
Last ditch effort- Put up a piece of plexi-glass and put on your go-go boots LOL- you can't buy entertainment like this:))
October 6, 2013 at 11:30AM     
William Roy Designer Kitchens
As much as you loved it when you put it in I'd consider getting rid of it! Just say'n.
October 6, 2013 at 11:33AM     
Genevieve
Margo , don't forget our lamp ,it would be an eye catcher :))
October 6, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Good thinking Genevieve- with Christmas coming ;)

October 6, 2013 at 11:49AM     
Dar Eckert
It would be a wonderful place for a hanging sculpture. Here's a couple of ideas: a Calder type sculpture, hanging lanterns en mass, ?????

Habachy Designs
Montain Home
October 6, 2013 at 11:49AM     
Honestly? That shelf would be a deal breaker for me if I were shopping for a home. Architecturally, IMO, it makes no sense.

You look young and brave to be up there cleaning. It is a haven for spiders and their droppings. It will need weekly maintenance.

I would fill it in.
October 6, 2013 at 12:02PM     
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
The DJ sits up there. Have a huge party. Invite everyone.
October 6, 2013 at 12:05PM     
Dar Eckert
Hey, how about some ideas instead of jokes.
October 6, 2013 at 12:14PM        Thanked by jafree
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Sure, she could purchase an original Calder and hang it there. Maybe spray paint it;)
October 6, 2013 at 12:27PM   
unwantedadvice
I liked Dar Eckert's pics of hanging lanterns! :)
October 6, 2013 at 12:32PM     
unwantedadvice
Did you put an outlet up there? You could hang something electrified and put in a timer.
October 6, 2013 at 12:34PM   
Put a grouping of pots some very tall 4 ft and various sizes. Color do in accent color in room. Mix it up with black, silver. Put cinder blocks, then cover with fabric, to get different heights. I don't think you need power outlet up there.
October 6, 2013 at 12:39PM   
rawketgrl
My parents built a home in the mid 70s and they had 3 of these types of "shelves". Growing up there it was my job to clean them and was one of the reasons I moved out the day after I graduated from high school. (Maybe that was their plan!) They were always dusty and full of spiderwebs and droppings. Of course I was only cleaning them 1x a month so it was pretty tough, if I had done it more often it would have been easier. But getting the vacuum up the 3 ladders was brutal. I developed a system and Mom of course helped. On the largest one (which was about the same shape and size as yours) Mom decorated with early American antiques and kid sized furniture and had an old flag draped artfully. It was like a vintage antique mall stall. On the 2 others which were about half that size she had plants and trees of various sorts. She watered them and I cleaned up after them. I can see why they could be fun to decorate but cleaning was rough. Good luck.
October 6, 2013 at 12:39PM     
You could use that bench but angle it to place 2 pots on hen use cinder as I stated before. If you want to light add plant lights and put on timer. Adding a big silk palm to mix.
October 6, 2013 at 12:41PM   
Amy Cali
Two ideas for you:
1. convert to storage with custom cabinetry and add a library ladder or
2. a large cohesive art montage based on your likes. For example, my family enjoys bike riding together. I would display an antique bicycle and include vintage trunks or suitcases stacked to create height to display large outdoor sculptures, maybe a few gears and cogs on the wall itself along with a vintage large scale ad poster from the same era as the bicycle.
October 6, 2013 at 12:49PM     
Anastasia Maier
Large vases with branches would look really pretty up there. Or a lighted tree (think year-round Christmas lights on tree branches).
October 6, 2013 at 12:56PM        Thanked by jafree
Jen
Is it possible to turn it into a loft/reading nook by adding a railing and access from the second floor? You may want to post a pic of the whole room; It's hard to tell exactly what's going on.
October 6, 2013 at 1:37PM   
unwantedadvice
The cleaning of these open, high up shelves is the biggest dilemma of all. I should know, I have two areas above kitchen cabinets and two more in two other bedrooms. Not as large as this one, but nonetheless a cleaning, dusting chore-and-a-half.:(
October 6, 2013 at 1:39PM   
Tiffany Verbarito
I don't think you should make that a loft. It might be a bit dangerous. And it might not look all that great.
October 6, 2013 at 1:41PM     
Like the "go-go" idea! Too bad it isn't tall enough to install a pole. A collection of oversized lava lamps?? Well, maybe back to my original idea of miniature furnishings or garden sized pottery. We'll be watching!
October 6, 2013 at 1:45PM   
Mahmood Al_Turani
if you need storage it can be a good place ! u can store seasonal clothes, blankets, close the opening and put shelves inside.
October 6, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
...seaonal tableaus, centered on appropriate mannequin sitting on your bench - scarecrow now, santa later?
October 6, 2013 at 2:00PM   
Mahmood Al_Turani
what is behind that angel? if it's possible u can cut the angel and have nice big window not sure about your home structure but it's just an idea u have to consult an expert if u like it.
October 6, 2013 at 2:06PM     
rawketgrl
She does look like an angel, a cleaning angel! She even has a beam of light descending on her. ;-). I'm sure she would put up a fight about the cutting though.... LOL
October 6, 2013 at 2:24PM     
mjlehner2023
Stay up there and keep smiling like that.
October 6, 2013 at 2:28PM     
William Roy Designer Kitchens
I have a new idea. In the 60's Go-Go dancers danced in Go-Go cages at parties. What do you think? lol
January 13, 2014 at 2:35PM     
Curt D'Onofrio
Man-Cave. I like to hide sometimes. Needs doors, tv + computer. Nobody can sneak up on me way up there. Retractable ladder
January 13, 2014 at 2:41PM     
Denita
"Retractable ladder" ... lol Curt :)
January 13, 2014 at 3:33PM   
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
High ceiling bare wall
I have 20' ceilings and have a big ledge up top going...
need help for hillside landscaping and irrigation
various niche exist under oak tree on hillside under...