Need help with a minor Kitchen Reno
maccar88
Hi: We want to update our Kitchen by changing the counter top and back splash. We do not want to change the cupboards but do want to replace the hardware. Not sure if we should change the floor first or leave it as is. It is ceramic tile and runs through the dining room to the front hall. We also plan to purchase new stainless steel appliances to compliment the look we hope to achieve as well as a new sink and faucet. Any suggestions for the window treatment above the sink would be appreciated. The dining room is at the other end and has California Shutters in a similar wood tone. We have looked at granite and laminate and like both but there are so many patterns and colors we are not sure what to chose and then need to pick a back splash to compliment. Thanks for the help.
vesselsofchrist
1. Move the coffee machine from where it is to the corner where the paper towel is.

2. Take the molding around the kitchen window off, it is a distraction and doesn't look modern.

3. Dark granite.... Dark Greens and black.... Would give a more homey/warm feeling to the kitchen.

4. Back drop: also in green and black lighter in color and rectangular in shape.

5. On top of sink: a shelf connecting the cabinets where you can enhance the kitchen look by adding a few items of art. Or... A place to store wine. But don't close the shelf with doors.

6. Floor: almost any tile that is 24 x 24. They have these in Lowes.

Now look at my design dilemma and see if you can help. ;)
October 6, 2013 at 8:46AM   
maccar88
Thanks for the tips. I would have never thought about removing the mounding but now that you suggested it , it does make sense . I was also told by a friend to incorporate black and so now that you have also mentioned it I do see that it would help make the kitchen Pop so to speak. Appreciate your comments.
October 6, 2013 at 8:49AM     
sstarr
You could just paint the moulding white, which will give a nice finished look.
The room appears dark overall, despite the white floor.
Therefore, I would go with a pale-color countertop and backsplash. I would stay in the light grey family, to modernize the color combination with natural wood. And so, any stone or imitation stone in a grey tone would work.

For a backsplash, avoid busy mosaic tiles of any kind, as that is rapidly becoming a dated look. Go for smooth and uniform surfacing in a solid color that harmonizes with your new countertop. Your old square tiles should be removed, not tiled over.

The floor could stay possibly; if it is in very good condition, try to make it work with the new color plan. Otherwise, it will be an expensive removal and re-installation, which I don't think would be supported by your current cabinetry. If you were going with new cabinets, I would recommend a new floor.

Remove the valance and blinds from your window. Remove the ceiling fixture and look into what it would take to have more distributed lighting on the ceiling (recessed fixtures or surface).
Goal: more light in the room.
October 6, 2013 at 9:14AM        Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thanks. You have given me more things to think about. Appreciate your time to comment.
October 6, 2013 at 9:17AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Since your cabinets are traditional, I would try to stay in that vein. I agree about using warm colors but think dark greens and blacks are just too dark.. As a matter of fact, I would change the paint color to something lighter too. I would also take down the valance and just leave the window undressed. The kitchen below has similar colored cabinets with a granite top that looks like it may go with the floor you have. You could do granite on the counters and then do butcher block on the island to make it more interesting. Replace the ceiling light - you could have any electrician move it so that it is centered over the island and drop a pendant. You could also have a flat crown installed on the top of the upper cabinets just to finish them off.
October 6, 2013 at 9:20AM        Thanked by maccar88
akakaka
I agree with sstar93 about the need for better lighting and removing everything including the moulding from around the window. Have you considered skipping the stone counter tops and having the cabinets professionally painted? I think that would have the biggest impact and would really update your kitchen along with new sink and appliances.
October 6, 2013 at 9:29AM        Thanked by maccar88
Dar Eckert
I definitely agree that light colored counters and light wall colorings would brighten the room. Adding under counter lighting and some rope light above the cabinets would add a warm glow to the room. Consider adding overhang on the island to make it more useable for seating.
October 6, 2013 at 9:33AM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
The idea about painting the kitchen cabinets was suggested to me by a friend. I was un sure about that idea because I have french doors to the living room at the other end of the kitchen in the dining room in the same wood tones so I figured I had to leave the wood colors the same. Is it a special type of paint that is used to paint them or is it a stain. I am trying to imagine what it would look like. As for electric issues, I have a son living with me who is an electrician so that is not a problem to fix. Further comments appreciated about the paint issue but thanks for all the ideas.
October 6, 2013 at 5:04PM   
akakaka
You would use a high quality paint like Benjamin Moore Aura. A lot of cleaning and prep work is required and the paint job will look best if it is sprayed on. That's why you would probably want a pro to do it. The color should coordinate with the wood doors but you can always play it safe and choose some kind of white that would also look good with the tile floor.
Painted cabinets would really brighten things up. Have fun!
October 6, 2013 at 5:32PM        Thanked by maccar88
Judith Ellis
We had my mom's kitchen cabinets painted by a company. Look up cabinet refacing on google for your area or on Angie's list if you are a member. The difference was amazing. I then did a valance for her, and my sister had already picked out new knobs.
October 6, 2013 at 5:56PM      Thanked by maccar88
Town & Country Interiors LLC
I agree if you were willing try painting the kitchen cabinets with an Aura paint, maybe Acadia white or White dove. If not definitely go lighter with granite and backsplash. Possible a clean bone subway tile, and maybe even a Quartz counter top like Sugarbush form Lowes it looks like marble but no fuss! THen new recessed lighting, some great chunky hardware. Remove valance, keep it simple. New ceiling light fixture centered in space maybe a flush mounted drum shade light. I think it you try to lighten up the space it will be updated immediately! Good luck!
October 6, 2013 at 6:05PM     
maccar88
Once again i appreciate all the ideas. I will definitely look into painting the cabinets. Thanks
October 7, 2013 at 4:09PM   
Maguire
I would not remove the flooring if it's still in good shape or the pretty molding around the window. Take down your valance, leave the blinds and decide after the remodel if you really need anything more on the window. Granite and laminates are both great and will go a long way in updating your kitchen. Pick one that isn't too busy with a full tile backsplash, don't wrap the counter up the wall again unless it's your full backsplash. Remove the overhead fluorescent, add can lights and perhaps pendant over your island, new door hardware (brushed nickel) and for some fun consider painting your island (photo below). I wouldn't paint the rest of your cabinets if they're in good shape. Hope you enjoy all the choices you'll have - there's a lot out there to choose from!
Gorgeous Kitchen Remodel
Kitchen examples
October 7, 2013 at 4:32PM        Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thank you! I love the pictures and especially the one with the painted island. I would never have thought of that but I would like to try that in my kitchen. I am afraid to paint the cupboards the more I think about it especially as they are in good shape except the hardware but I think this island would work. Your suggestions are wonderful. Do you mind if I ask you have any idea what color the island is..beige, white and if I did that in my kitchen would I paint it a color picked up from the counter top choice or back splash or just lighten it up.
October 7, 2013 at 5:04PM   
Maguire
I've used Anne Sloan Chalk (in Cream or Old Ochre?) paint with great results. I like it because it requires no prep work, no stripping or sanding, and is very forgiving, but I would also check at your local paint store for new products. I don't think it'll be hard to find a color that works with your other cabinets, counter tops and floors. You're lucky you have a nice space to work with and good bones in there already. Nice layout. I think you'll have fun doing your kitchen!
October 7, 2013 at 6:46PM      Thanked by maccar88
Cabinets To Go
We would love to be here and help you throughout this process of remodeling your kitchen! Check us out and let us know how we can help you today!
October 8, 2013 at 7:19AM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thanks for the help with the paint. I really like the idea of painting the island a lighter color and once I find the right counter top I am going to decide on the color for the island . I plan to overlap as well as I have stools to place around the island for extra seating. I hope once this is done that the back splash will be easy to pick. There are some great ideas on the Cabinets to Go Site and the pictures are very helpful to see the different options available.
October 8, 2013 at 7:29PM   
Maguire
Brilliant. I was going to suggest an overhang then decided against it! I figured you would have if you could have done it! It will add so much to the space and look more substantial in the kitchen as yours looks just a tiny skosh little. I'm so excited for you. We Houzzers love this stuff so please post pictures as you take each step.
October 8, 2013 at 8:40PM      Thanked by maccar88
Wilco Bos: Design + Remodels
I would definitely suggest painting the cabinets white. We do that for clients frequently and they turn out beautiful and make the space feel brighter and bigger. I love Caeserstone Quartz for countertop options. Small CAN lighting adds a classy and big impact. Replace tile with rectangular tile. Extending the island is a great option. The island looks very lonely in that space, I might even consider removing it if you decide that extending it isn't an option.
October 8, 2013 at 10:56PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
So we are going to change out the lighting since I agree that it would also help to up date the look of our kitchen. My question is how do you decide where to put the pot lights or recessed lighting. We have attic access over our kitchen from the garage so it is not difficult to do just want to make sure they are placed in a good spot and then we like the idea of a drop fixture over the island so that is not hard to fix just need to know how to do the others so it looks good when complete. Thanks for the help
October 12, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Hi maccar88....................Aren't you lucky- a son who's an electrician AND open space above the kitchen! I have never known an electrician who didn't have definite ideas on how many and where light fixtures should go :) My advice -I would just make sure that they are about 18-24" from the walls because you want them to shine down on the counter top. Then try to space them evenly around the perimeter of the room. The trend now is to use a smaller fixture 4-5" rather than the old 6". Then if you drop a fixture about 3' above the island you will have updated your lighting nicely. Good luck!
October 15, 2013 at 7:51AM     
Maguire
I think I might go with a pendant over your sink and the pots in a rectangular pattern around the kitchen with two over the island for some nice task lighting. I'm sure your son will have an opinion having done kitchen lighting. Very exciting. It'll make a huge difference in updating your kitchen!
October 15, 2013 at 8:04AM   
Cabinets To Go
We would love to help you throughout this renovation process, it seems you have a solid plan on what you want to do. We would love to help to design and create your dream kitchen. Call us today!
October 15, 2013 at 8:06AM   
maccar88
So I guess this "minor Kitchen Reno" has now expanded and it was suggested to me that we should consider changing the railings to a black rod iron. These railings are the barrier between our kitchen and the rec room which is visible from the kitchen and also in the stars to the Rec room.. Not sure about this so I would love to hear opinions or any other suggestions to consider. I guess the minor Reno has now expanded to other rooms Ha Ha. Thanks
October 17, 2013 at 10:58AM   
Maguire
They're beautiful! Why would that be suggested? Are they loose or in need of refinishing? Wrought iron comes and goes, your rails are classic.
October 17, 2013 at 12:08PM        Thanked by maccar88
Judith Ellis
I agree with Maguire. Rather than changing them out, paint them black if you want, that way you can always change them back again if you don't like them or change your mind in the future. Paint is a lot less expense!
October 17, 2013 at 7:18PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thanks. I was reluctant to do that and I like the way they look. Appreciate your help
October 17, 2013 at 8:41PM     
Dar Eckert
Yes, they do look warm and nice. Here's a lovely wall color that you may want to consider. Under cabinet lighting would really warm up the room. Don't paint them until you are sure because stripping paint off wood is an incredibly hard job and toxic.

loo
October 18, 2013 at 6:26AM      Thanked by maccar88
Judith Ellis
Maccar88, remember that no matter what anyone here suggests you do, it is still your home and you want to love it. We chose a company, as I mentioned in a previous post, who not only redid the cabinets but put a new surface on the existing tile counter. What a difference it made in lightening up the kitchen! Even my mom who hates change loved the outcome. I knew that we needed the experts to do the job as I only had a small window of opportunity while she was out of town and I didn't need the extra work. It was also cost effective. The company I chose could have made the counters look like marble or granite if we had wanted. It was amazing.
maccar88
Yes you are right, we have to love it and live with it. I am just amazed at all the choices out there now. it does become very overwhelming when trying to do such a project. I really do appreciate all the comments and help from everyone. This is a great site and I have been given many options to choose from. Thanks again everyone for the comments.
October 18, 2013 at 11:03AM   
maccar88
Hi: We have been looking at counter tops and have decided to go with a higher end Laminate by Formica (180 FX). We keep coming back to the 2 samples shown here -one is "Antique Mascarello" and the other is "Golden Mascarello" I am leaning more towards the Antique and I do like the way it looks with the cupboards but I wonder if they are going to be too dark and we should be looking at something lighter. I like them because they have specks of grey and black which I think will go nicely with the stainless steel appliances and with a lighter color on the wall as suggested by Dar. There are also lighter specks which I think is okay with my floor but these are small samples and I am worried how it will go with the floor once installed. Are we going in the wrong direction with these. Thanks !
October 20, 2013 at 9:47AM   
Dar Eckert
Well, it will look nice with both the floor and cabinets. I'm thinking the one on the right because it seems to have less yellow. However, I do like the lighter toned granite that Madden, Slick... suggested. Is there any laminate more similar to that?
October 20, 2013 at 10:13AM      Thanked by maccar88
brickln
I like the one on the right, too, and it will provide a good amount of change from what you currently have. With the correct lighting, I wouldn't be concerned that the counter is too dark. It will go really well with the floor and the cabinets. If you do select one of these, go with a plain backsplash- large glass tile would go perfectly, especially if the laminate has a border in back.
October 20, 2013 at 10:48AM        Thanked by maccar88
Maguire
They're both pretty. Agree with brickln that you wouldn't want the 4" backsplash in this material as in your current counter top. Do the entire backsplash in one material. Nice selection!
October 20, 2013 at 1:01PM      Thanked by maccar88
sunnydrew
maccar88-I have just installed some of the 180fx counter and am very happy with my choice. try to go to the warehouse and look at your sheets before you buy. I bought 3 pcs of 5' x 12' which was more than enough. I was able to buy it myself and they rolled it up and put in my car. My contractor came and got it. they pulled out all my counters and re-laminated. First I went to see it all laid out and marked where I wanted the cuts made based on the pattern. the down side is that I wanted to change everything then and it becomes an ongoing project.
Picking out backsplash was tough, but it is ordered now and ready to be installed soon. Good luck with your project.
October 21, 2013 at 7:40AM      Thanked by maccar88
catieb
Another option: keep the stained door, keep the stained railing and keep the island stained, so you have some of the wood flowing through all the spaces. THen paint the cabinets. You can even decide to do that after you put in the new top.

Paint is wonderful - it can be ANY color. So select the things with limited choices first: countertop (I'm voting for the one on the right too!) and backsplash tile.

The floor tile picks up the lighter color in the laminate; can't imagine any reason it wouldn't continue to work. So you would have flooring and accents of stained wood that would tie all the spaces together.

How much reseach is your son willing to do re the light fixtures? I'm a big fan of the neutral white (Kelvin rating) LED fixtures. However, it would be best if he would look at the distance they light in their flood span (no matter which fixture you select) and use that to make sure the light fixtures are correctly spaced throughout the kitchen. The goal with field lighting is to create no shadows. Then add in a layer of task lighting with fixtures over the sink, island and undercabinet.

Can he also drop a line down the wall to get you under cabinet lighting? These will balance the lights in the ceiling and keep the work surface from being in shadows.

Can't wait to see the final kitchen!
October 21, 2013 at 8:19AM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thanks everyone. I am going to look and see if I can find a lighter one as suggested to see how it will look.,We also like the one on the right that contains less yellow We are on a tight budget and thus the reason for the laminate versus the granite. My son is looking into what lights we should use. My older brother is an electrician as well and has suggested insulated pot lights and he is going to oversee the project since he has years of experience and knows what works best. We are also going to do the LED under cabinet lighting since we are going to remove the existing back splash at same time as counter top and this will allow the wiring to be done before we replace it with new tiles. I like the ideas for the back splash and plan to look at samples once we have installed the counter top so we can see how it will all come together. I agree it is an ongoing project that will domino into other things and rooms that will need to be updated. I want to take my time and do it right so I will be happy with the ends result.Appreciate all the help .
October 21, 2013 at 3:08PM     
maccar88
So we have picked the counter top and now we are rethinking painting the cabinets white. There is so much wood in my house and I am starting to think I need to change some of it out. Can anyone give me an idea what painting Kitchen cabinets costs when it is done by a professional. Just want to have some idea where we are going with this before I call and get estimates. Thanks again for all the help and opinions.
November 12, 2013 at 12:31PM   
Tile Circle
This would be a great look with the darker cabinets and new hardware! We agree with sstarr- we'd leave the molding around the window and just paint it white. Also, if the floor is in good shape, you should be able to get away with leaving it down but then again if it really bothers you, don't be afraid to change it out (as long as your budget allows for it~kitchen remodels can be pretty pricey as I'm sure you know!) http://www.tilecircle.com/mother-of-pearl-collection/mop02.html
November 12, 2013 at 4:32PM        Thanked by maccar88
Tile Circle
Another option is to stain your cabinets a darker color but white cabinets are also beautiful!
November 12, 2013 at 4:33PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Yes we are thinking about painting them white now. Possibly leaving the island the way it is for a contrast. SO many choices. I want to replace the counter top and change the paint first and then decide about the cabinets. I have decided to paint the whole area including hallways and downstairs Rec room area "Kidd Glove"-Benjamin Moore-CSP 175. I had a friend who works with paint help me decide on the color and she also has suggested the white cabinets as well. It is a lighter, fresher green shade that will help to brighten up the area and will work with my floor and then I should be able to visualize the how I want the cabinets and I am also going to get a price from a professional who does this type of thing so I know what it will cost.
November 12, 2013 at 5:26PM     
Judith Ellis
I'll have to check and see how much we paid.
November 12, 2013 at 7:34PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Thanks. I would appreciate that as I don't know anyone here that has done it so I want to have some idea when I get my quote from the PRO.
November 12, 2013 at 7:45PM   
Judith Ellis
What area of the country are you in?
November 12, 2013 at 7:57PM   
maccar88
I live very close to the US border in the Niagara Region in Canada.
November 12, 2013 at 8:11PM   
Judith Ellis
I had a friend who used to live on John St. in Niagara Falls, Ont.
November 12, 2013 at 8:28PM   
maccar88
Okay I know that street. Allot of nice older homes there. I live in the South end of Niagara Falls near Marineland. Are you in the area as well.
November 13, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Judith Ellis
No, I'm in Florida! But I've been there several times visiting my friend.
November 13, 2013 at 5:54PM   
lucyhomedecor
Dark, dark kitchen. Can lights around the kitchen, then a couple of pendants over the island. Also, under cabinet lighting. Counter tops & backsplash should be light. You could do a new floor tile & use some dark granite accents on the floor & the backsplash. Also some new cabinet hardware. You could also replace several cabinet door with glass inserts & have the cabinet light up.

If you want to spend some more money, you could have your cabinets refaced & get updated appliances.
November 13, 2013 at 6:11PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
You are right about the dark Kitchen. It has taken me a while to realize it and I am now thinking about painting the cabinets white. We are changing the appliances to stainless steel and the lighting you suggested as well. I am just waiting to get an estimate for the cabinet refinish and wanted to know if anyone has had this done and could give me an estimate of cost since we had not originally planned to do this. I would not want to paint them myself .
November 14, 2013 at 7:29AM   
Judith Ellis
I still haven't had a chance to check my Mom's accounts to see what we paid, sorry, but if you "google" cabinet refacing/refinishing, places in your area should pop up. I'm sure they'd be happy to come give you a free estimate.
November 14, 2013 at 9:53AM      Thanked by maccar88
cpk52
Hi Maccar88 , we just renovated our kitchen which was similar to yours in lighting and cabinet color and style. I had considered a dark green granite but was having difficulty because our kitchen was on the darker side even with the windows we had. I chose a lighter granite and I have no regrets! We removed our box light and added recessed lighting. We added crown molding to our cabinets, new hardware. We removed our soffits too. I have a cream subway tile backsplash and stainless steel appliances too. We had stained trim which we painted a light cream color . I love my new kitchen, it is warm and inviting and I am so glad I didn't do the darker granite. I think dark granites are beautiful in the right space. Good luck and please post after photos.
November 14, 2013 at 10:05AM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
Hi: Thanks for your advice. I actually just had an interior decorator come in and do a colour consult for my whole house and she recomended painting all the trim in my house in "Cloud White" a Benjamin Moore colour and she also wants me to paint my cabinets a light color as well. I am still not sure about that however I am going to paint my island a lighter color as suggested early on in this discussion and see how that looks and then go from there. I am going with the "antique Mascarella" counter top by Formica as it looks good with my cabinets the way they are and the lighter color I plan to paint my island. It is not as expensive as granite but will achieve the same look. She also recommended the light subway tile to me for my backsplash. I would like to add the crown molding to the top of my cupboards as well. Did you post pictures anywhere I would love to see them.
December 1, 2013 at 9:11AM     
maccar88
Hi: So here we are in April. This project small as it is has taken time since we are at the mercy of the contractors. I am quite happy with how it is turning out. Still have to finish ceiling and areas around the pot lights as well as back splash. Would like opinions on whether we should paint the spindles on the railing white. I have seen this in friends houses where they have the original wood on the ends and top but the spindles are white. I liked the effect in their homes just not sure about this space. I am also leaning toward a subway tile for the back splash and had a suggestion of a contrasting strip through the middle or near the top. Appreciate any suggestions.Thanks
April 4, 2014 at 10:48AM     
maccar88
Here is a another picture from a different angle. I also need to decide what to do with the window treatment as the wood blinds need to go. Thanks
April 4, 2014 at 10:53AM   
brickln
Very nice- it sure looks brighter! I'd base the spindle decision on how well in goes with your decorating style for the den. Either way will look great in the kitchen.
April 4, 2014 at 1:01PM      Thanked by maccar88
maccar88
That is what I was thinking and probably why I am hesitating. The fact that the kitchen over looks the rec Room has been a design dilemma for me ever since we bought this house.
April 4, 2014 at 7:43PM   
Need help selecting wall color for minor kitchen reno...
Hey everyone. I need help with selecting the paint...
Need help with under stairs bathroom decor and minor remodel
Home built in 1969 - overhead lighting - painted...
Need help with kitchen/family room Reno
We are planning to take down wall between kitchen and...
need help with kitchen reno!
Hubby wants a commercial stand alone oven but I am...
"need help with my kitchen reno huge dilemma!!"
okay so basically we are staining our floors very very...
Bathroom renovation for practicality and growing family
We just stripped our second bathroom and are figuring...
c v
Curb appeal? elementary school across
front porch? to cover or not to cover???
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Backsplash drama
I just changed the counter top but not crazy about...